mtbr member

Flagstaff trail question

I know there are trail threads, and trail reviews, but I am looking for specific hands on opinion. I would like to take my wife to Flag for a bit of riding or possibly only hiking. As far as the riding, if it's anything more difficult than Pemberton, she really won't want anything to do with it. We did ride the Bell Rock Pathway in Oak Creek/Sedona in the spring, and she thought that was just ok. She hates DC, and walks pretty much every wash, and she thinks it's too rocky. She has a 5" bike, but not much sense of adventure where there is potential to get hurt. Would hauling our bikes all the way up to Flag from the valley be a waste, or is there something that she should be able to ride? We can always just hike instead, she likes that. Thanks everybody.

In the rear with the beer
    dup

In the rear with the beer
    Soldier tral near Ft. Tuthill is relatively tame for riding. I used to ride it with my wife regularly, who is also a big fan of pemberton. or just head out on some forest roads. Still worth it, imho

No mames guey
    Check out the AZ Trail from Snowbowl Road, going North across Hart Prairie. The trail is pretty tame and the scenery is off the charts beautiful (aspens, ferns, mountain views, etc.).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Soldier tral near Ft. Tuthill is relatively tame for riding. I used to ride it with my wife regularly, who is also a big fan of pemberton. or just head out on some forest roads. Still worth it, imho
    Thank you.

Ahhh the pain....
    I'd second the recommendation for the AZ trail from Aspen corner...took my GF who is quite timid on the bike and it was outstanding. After you go through the split rail fence at aspen corner, go about 50 yards, bear left, go down the hill (she may want to walk one section), and you'll see the trail on the right. If you go over a big log and out into a meadow, you've gone too far.
    ...off the charts beautiful as the prior poster commented.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Nordic Center if it's open. Jeep double track roads or the fairgrounds area.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Nordic Center if it's open.
    azdog, cosmic ray's book shows that one can access FR151 from the north rim trail. do you know how far it is? also, is there a lot of elevation gain on the other trails (at nordic center).

to the OP: i rode the AZT from aspen corner two weeks ago and loved it. it would be good for your wife but finding it might be tricky. we almost didn't. the campbell mesa loops on the south side of town, see map, would be perfect for her and fun too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flagstaff trail question-nordic-center.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    From what I know not much elevation gain since you are already pretty high up. I didn't know that about the North Rim...hmmm...
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Perfect everybody, and thank you. I will research further your suggestions, but they sound like just what I was asking for. I'm hoping to run up there for the day on Sunday.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Fort Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    I know there are trail threads, and trail reviews, but I am looking for specific hands on opinion. I would like to take my wife to Flag for a bit of riding or possibly only hiking. As far as the riding, if it's anything more difficult than Pemberton, she really won't want anything to do with it. We did ride the Bell Rock Pathway in Oak Creek/Sedona in the spring, and she thought that was just ok. She hates DC, and walks pretty much every wash, and she thinks it's too rocky. She has a 5" bike, but not much sense of adventure where there is potential to get hurt. Would hauling our bikes all the way up to Flag from the valley be a waste, or is there something that she should be able to ride? We can always just hike instead, she likes that. Thanks everybody.
    The Fort Valley Trail system is another good option, pretty tame and not much elevation gain on the lower sections,,,,,,,,,,,,,+1 on the Campbell Mesa suggestion, does not get any easier in Flagstaff