Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flagstaff / Sedona / Grand Canyon

636 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Desert Runner 
#1 ·
My family and I are taking a week long trip out to Flagstaff / Sedona / Grand Canyon. We are going to use Flagstaff as our base camp on go on adventure from there we are planning to go at the end of September through the beginning of October +/-. I was wondering if any of you had some loop recommendations for me? I am in decent shape. I ride around 10 hours a week and really dig on 3+/- with 5-7K of climbing. But I doubt ill be able to get that in everyday and in reality will probably be just squeezing it in the morning time.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Also HT or FS for the terrain?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Since it's your first post welcome to the forum. The search function works pretty good and have a look at the sticky at the top which has ride recommendations. Also, Trailforks and MTBproject are quality on-line resources. Pick up some maps and start doing some homework.

That said, it's a good time of the year to visit. Sedona will still be a tad warm but generally the weather is about perfect. You will be hard-pressed to rack up 5000' of climbing in Flagstaff in 3 or 4 hours unless you do laps on Elden Lookout Rd. There's not much riding in Grand Canyon but you could do an out and back on the AZ trail. A typical 3 or 4 hour ride in Sedona is ~15-20 miles with 2000' of elevation gain. No big climbs to be had really except for Schnebly Hill Rd.

What's your typical terrain? 7000' of climbing in Arizona will make most mortal call for mommy and is an all day affair.

#4 ·
I just got back from Flagstaff and Grand Canyon last week. I rode the Schultz Creek in Flagstaff great ride lot's of options. As far as Grand Canyon is concerned there are three
bike path trails. Paved rides. We did the Hermit rd.Trail 6% grade climb for three miles 10.5 mile ride one way. Beautiful stops about 10 different scenic view area's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.