Racer

Flagstaff riding (dh and xc)

Hello guys. I'm thinking coming out to Flagstaff to go to college and I'd like to know a little bit about the riding in the area. How are the trails? Is there any downhill shuttleable trails? Any info is appreaciated! Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've only been up to ride Flag a few times but there is plenty of both types of riding. I'd move there if it was warmer in the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I lived in Flagstaff for 2 years while going to NAU and can honestly say its has some truly fantastic riding. I can't really comment on the extent of the DH riding but I know there is a scene and people do run shuttles on Mt. Eldon. Speaking of Mt. Eldon, it has many many trails that are both fast and technical. The city is very biker friendly with many great shops that will take you out on group rides. Also, don't forget about the close proximity of Sedona and all its great riding, which is only about a 45 min drive down the beautifully scenic highway 89a. Just do it man, if I could find a job back in flag I would move there in a second just for the riding. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by barnesie
    Just do it man, if I could find a job back in flag I would move there in a second just for the riding. Good luck!
    Ditto. I'm not a downhiller at all, but the XC riding on Elden can be quite technical, and is very, very good.

Its also a convenient base; Phoenix isn't too far, but neither is Southern Utah or the Grand Canyon. The town has always struck me as very nice indeed, if a bit tourist infested during warmer months.

mtbr member
    Definitely go for it. Flagstaff is awesome for all types of riding. I usually ride one of the fire roads up Mt. Elden and take the trails back down. Just about every time I'm riding up, downhillers pass me as they shuttle to the top. The trail network on Mt. Elden is absolutely top notch. I would seriously consider going to NAU for the mountain biking alone. And Flagstaff is a really cool town too.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Fun all around riding. Last summer I went 2 weekends in a row, once with my xc and the next with my downhill bike. Just ask around once your up there and you will know all the trails pretty quickly. I would have went there if I didn't hate the cold.