mtbr member

flagstaff gravel ride needed

in town for a bit and need some options. i went up shults pass today to the tank and then around ne till i got tired of dealing with snow/ice. i may just ride up there from town tomorrow and come down the trail that follows the elden road. i'm on my dirt road bike. we do pretty good on non/no technical single track. shnelby road looks like fun or secret mountain. just looking for a long dirt road slog with pretty views. not afraid of climbing or milage. thanks
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

mtbr member
    You might consider Forest Service road 231 (Woody Mountain Road) all the way out to Sycamore Rim. The only problem with the road is the first 8-10 miles can be pretty wash boarded and that would suck on a ridged bike. The views at the rim are pretty good, the whole ride would probably be in the 80-90 mile range? You can also expect a fair amount of traffic and dust if you go on the weekend.

You might also consider FS 231 to FS526 and continue on forest service roads heading west. This is a part of the the Pines to Mines route and if you had the desire you could continue into the Kiabab National Forest to White Horse Lank and beyond. Not much in the way of good views but for the most part once you are on 526 etc. you should have the road pretty much to yourself until you hit FS 141.

FS 700 heading to Munds Park and Schnebly Hill Road could also be another option for you. Same story as FS231; fair amount of traffic on the weekend and not much in the way of good views. Good luck let us know what you end up riding.

A better option might be

mtbr member
    first off, shame on you mr. flagstaff bike shop guy for that terrible route you sent me on. up shultz from the east to the tank (rather than elden) then onto waterline which is closed??? lame

thanks to dave (fat tire) for the conversation this morning and for the great info!
    ended up finding the map i was looking for at the ranger station down the hill. the motor vehicle use map is just what i was in need of and free to boot.

i parked just off 89 at rd 535 and rode to the east knob lookout at the end of rd 231. there i dropped my snickers in the dirt, ate it, and rode back with a side trip down 536a. tomorrow i think i will drive in a bit and rideall of 538 in some kind of loop.

i still want to ride up schnebly. i think i just like saying it.

what would my better option be? rent a real bike and ride some trails?
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."