Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Flagstaff to Grand Canyon (S. Kaibab TH), any interest??

Anyone interested in joining me on a 2-day out-n-back bikepack from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon (South Kaibab trailhead) next weekend? Camp out Friday night, June 28th & ride the 29-30th. I'm looking to start near the Bismarck Lake TH & take the AZT all the way until we are not allowed to ride, S. Kaibab. I'm thinking I'll return mostly on forest roads to mix it up, but essentially it's an OnB ride.

The AZT portion of this route is 85 miles & 6500' of elevation for reference. The first 20 are downhill into Babbitt Ranch!!

Plenty of re-supply options in Tusayan or the GC village.
    Last edited by freeskier46; 06-15-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Updated start dates
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

My other ride is your mom
    I sent you a note on the facebooks.....im in and can confirm with you by tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I had this on my to do list for May/June, but will be in Rocky Point that weekend. I was planning on trying to get a shuttle to go back to flag from the canyon. I was wondering if the Moqui Ranger station is a good place to camp for the night? What a great ride no matter how it's done, have fun.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I can't seem to get out of my work schedule for this Sunday evening, so this ride is being pushed back a few weeks. Hopefully I can give it a go over the last weekend in June.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I can't seem to get out of my work schedule for this Sunday evening, so this ride is being pushed back a few weeks. Hopefully I can give it a go over the last weekend in June.
    I thought you were planning on doing Payson in June.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    It looks like the Mogollon Rim ride will be the second weekend in July, 13-14th. Sorry. I've had a few interested parties for the Flag-GC route in June.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    What is this Mogollon Rim ride you're talking about?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    We're still finalizing a route, but essentially it'll be for people who are new to bikepacking. Kind of an intro to it. Shorter route, scenic, fun, Q&A, whatever. It seems like there's a growing interest in bikepacking, but a lot of times people are hesitant to get out there for an overnight ride. I was one of them, so we thought it would be cool to help get new bikepackers out there.

We'll post up more info once the route is nailed down.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Great! There are some really cool trails up there. Look forward to seeing what the route will be.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Well that weekend works for me. It remains to be seen if I can ready myself for backpacking event in four weeks. What are the temps out there - is it similar to Flagg. Low 40s at night?
    Is this 80 one way or the whole thing?
    whats O n B ?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Well that weekend works for me. It remains to be seen if I can ready myself for backpacking event in four weeks. What are the temps out there - is it similar to Flagg. Low 40s at night?
    Is this 80 one way or the whole thing?
    whats O n B ?
    First thing: it's bIkepacking (riding) vs bAckpacking (walking). Just messin' with ya!

As for weather, just check out Flagstaff & Grand Canyon Nat'l Park South rim, I'm guessing mid-40's by then?? The route is 85 miles one-way on the AZT heading north, and almost the same returning via mostly forest roads. We'll repeat a few of the fun sections of AZT heading south.
    O n B = Out-n-Back.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    BIKEpacking ! Pack your bikes we are leaving!

What's the status of this ride?
    I am having trouble finding a lot info on Bismark Lake.
    So the plan is to meet up there, camp and leave in AM?
    Any issues with leaving the car there for 36 hours?

My other ride is your mom
    I believe this was scheduled for last weekend....folks bailed due to conflicts. Bismark lake is actually spelled Bismarck...and it's not a lake, it's more of pond in some months, a place for Elk to wallow in others: http://goo.gl/maps/n2onV

DFL>DNF>DNS
    If you're coming from Flag, US180->FR151->FR627 is the Bismarck Lake turnoff. It's a very short FR with decent parking at the end. I don't see any issues leaving vehicles for a couple of days. If by some chance we find the trailhead full, there are spots along FR627 to camp out Friday night.

You are correct, meet there (or carpool if you can) and plan on heading out around first light. Like last weekend, I still need to secure June 30th OFF from work, but I have a bit more time to get that done this go-round.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Ok so June 30th is still tentative?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I believe this was scheduled for last weekend....folks bailed due to conflicts. Bismark lake is actually spelled Bismarck...and it's not a lake, it's more of pond in some months, a place for Elk to wallow in others: bismarck lake az - Google Maps
    That make sense, there is no body of water visible on google sat maps.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yes, a very strong tentative. I have the 28th & 29th clear, just need the evening of the 30th off. I may have to offer up some ca$h to my money grubbing co-workers to pick up my shift!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Ok, this ride is a GO!! I changed the dates in the OP to reflect the weekend of the 29-30th. Should be fun!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Ok, this ride is a GO!! I changed the dates in the OP to reflect the weekend of the 29-30th. Should be fun!!
    glad to hear. count us in.

mtbr member
    Cool. I am trying out the bikepacking thing in Flagg this weekend. I got the equipment and will be testing it out around Humphrey's peak, Mt. Elden and Walnut Canyon.

At what point do you expect the towns in GC? I am just curious because if it's toward the end of the one way trip, it sounds like one can do dinner and breakfast there. = less packing of food.

Also do you think 175 oz of water will be enough? On the last AES race (70 miles-Flagg) I managed on 120 oz but it was cooler and with much more shade. I am guessing this ride is going to be more exposed and it will likely be hot during the day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm in, assuming the NMES SFBFL doesn't destroy my body or make me want to quit riding mountain bikes. Keeping my fingers crossed for dry and lightning free weather. Lookin' forward to cruizin' with you and dtownmtb.

Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    I'm in, assuming the NMES SFBFL doesn't destroy my body or make me want to quit riding mountain bikes. Keeping my fingers crossed for dry and lightning free weather. Lookin' forward to cruizin' with you and dtownmtb.
    good luck with that. Hope you guys survive it.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Cool, Mark. Don't forget you're mid-ride nap, seems to do you well!!

Bart, you are correct, we should be hitting the stores/food stops in the evening/morning so that should help with food planning. There's actually a good amount of shade on this route, probably the most exposed portion will be miles 15-45, but that is a fairly fast section of jeep roads. I'm not sure how much water I'll carry, I'll wait to see what the forecast highs will be. Perhaps 150oz + bottle. All the water spots I added as waypoints are just what I found on the topp maps, so their reliability is suspect. Good luck with your Flag ride, post up how it went.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

GPX file

Here's the GPX file of the route with waypoints.

The file name is: Flag2GC-OnB.gpx

Load it up & make sure it is good to go, Ray combined the waypoints into the GPX file, but I have a separate POI file if needed.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Bikepacking is on my new list of skills i want to have. An intro/ crash course would be awesome. Let me know the deets. I'll clear my calender for such an event.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast