mtbr member

Flagstaff Fun Beta needed

Its been a long time since I have been up north to play in snow, and need some advice.

We are coming up next Friday (after we do polar express) with our 4 year old who has never really done snow. Looking to at least make some snow angels and tubing would be fun too. Where are the spots? Thanks in advance!
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

bland

mtbr member
    Thanks Ranger- exactly what I am looking for! If you are in town the evening of the 20th- I will by you a brew! We are staying at the Drury and with a 4 yo wont be out late, but have to eat! Thanks again-Cory

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Since you are staying at the Drury the little hill behind the two university buildings just to the south is a decent sledding hill for the tykes. 1899 is good food as well. Avoid hwy180 to wing at 4pm during the holidaze.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Possible storm coming in Friday. Plan the 17 accordingly. That hill at nau gets crowded so heads up think sheet of ice. Not much snow in town right now so you might have to get creative, ie mountainaire road south of town. 180 gets crowded as hell, trust me i live on it. Try the Shultz pass trail head. Small hill there few people.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Good info Rock and Sinatorj. We are doing Polar Express Friday and driving into Flagstaff after to stay the night. I have to head up during the week for a day for some work at FMC. I will scope out that hill behind Drury then. And of course I know Schultz pass, just never crossed my mind for snow fun!

"Uppercase with a space"

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Good info Rock and Sinatorj. And of course I know Schultz pass, just never crossed my mind for snow fun!
    Schultz Road is gated at pavement's end. Folks like to part there, usually no more than a half dozen vehicles at any given time. Limited turn around usually, notable if yer bringing the monster truck. The road down to the trailhead is popular with rookie sledders and of a suitable grade. Threatening to get boney soon, tho, based on my observations the last few days.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member

Flagstaff Fun Beta needed

I've seen some people use the NAU practice fields (across from the Skydome) to sled and build snowmen. Another sledding spot near campus is at the intersection of Lone Tree and JW Powell. There's a little parking lot across the street from Pine Canyon, however, it's pretty popular.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It just got warm, like real freaking warm. If this next storm doesn't come through snow playing may not be an option.

mtbr member
    I hear ya! I was just checking the weather since I am driving up tomorow for work. Might need to bring my bike!

Last time I played in the snow up there was 1989 up by Lowell Obs. I remember there were the old mechanisms from a rope pull that a lady plowed into on a tube and broke her leg.

"Uppercase with a space"