mtbr member
    May 2009

Flagstaff Frenzy - MBAA #7

What's the word on the trail conditions and course profile for the upcoming Flagstaff Frenzy - MBAA #7? I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to pre-ride the course, and I would greatly appreciate any insider information. Thanks.

Tucson, AZ
    I would describe the course in one word..... frenzy.

Is that really the name of the race?

Tucson, AZ
    Yes. It is at the Fort Valley Trail System. Some descent singletrack over there, nothing technical.

A plethora of pinatas
    From the looks of the map, it seems that they are doing the course in reverse this year.
    Marty

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Is that really the name of the race?
    Yeah, all their races have to start with the same letter as the city/place they are in, Prescott Punisher, etc etc and then of course the ol' Flagstaff Frenzy.

Alliteration used to be the cool thing to do. Like Coca-Cola, Gold’s Gym, Dunkin’ Donuts, Weight Watchers, Palm Pilot and Krispy Kreme, it is a thing of the past. MBAA just has not got the memo yet.

I think you should change your race name to the The Killer Kaibab Kross

mtbr member
    Yeah... from what I heard it is the same course as the state finals from last year... just in reverse with a couple of different sections... They can not do one of the singletrack sections because of some kind of bird nesting/mating/breeding/hatching season thing or something...

Does anyone know... are these trails clear and can we ride them now? Is the snow gone?

No mames guey
    These trails are dry and dusty. Ride on.

slower than you
    all clear (dusty is right).

but, for future ref, check the SNOTEL. it's always on; measures snow depth at 9730' @ snowslide spring (inner basin) = http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/get...d=XSCA3&num=48

about 2" as of 9pm tonight. down from 3" this am. safe to assume then that there's no snow at 8000' on a southern exposure.

but, fwiw, i did ride thru a couple snowbanks on upper brookbank on saturday. still a bit mushy up there in a few spots.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Over the Hill
    Last week we rode up Waterford Trail to the the Wilderness area no snow. Also rode Sunset, Red Onion, Lower Oldham, Rocky Ridge Loop, couple of small snow patches, couple of down trees. Many tire tracks coming down from the Hobbit Forest so it looks like upper sections of Sunset are clear.

Dean

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Yes. It is at the Fort Valley Trail System. Some descent singletrack over there, nothing technical.
    So any big climbs on this course? Long and gradual or short and intense?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekSquid
    So any big climbs on this course? Long and gradual or short and intense?
    Short and intense...almost frenzyish.

mtbr member
    Brookbank has been reworked by the trail crew. Its not totally buff but the rocky and rooty nature of it has been changed. Its not as challenging but not like sunset either. Sunset has 3 trees still down. One is big big.
    Little bear has not been cleared of downfall. And there is a lot of it. Doesn't the FS care about such things? Its not like Flag is a destination or anything, so maybe the forest gnomes will have to get out and take care of business? I've met a couple of those gnomes, one is named Stihl and the other Husky.
    OTherwise, its dry dusty and hot. Forest closures by 2nd week of June is my prediction.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Long Ways To Go And A Short Time To Get There!

mtbr member
    May 2009

Vandalism on Frenzy Course?

I heard the course was all marked on Saturday...but I rode it Sunday morning, and it looked like sometime overnight persons unknown stole signs and threw logs on the course. There was even a spare tire blocking the trail! Sucks...

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    From the looks of the map, it seems that they are doing the course in reverse this year.
    Is that the case? I can't really make it out from the map. I can't tell where the beginner course cuts off either. Anybody know? I'm thinking about making a cameo appearance in cat 3 for this on.....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member

would these have been moose racing signs?

Quote Originally Posted by Imen
    I heard the course was all marked on Saturday...but I rode it Sunday morning, and it looked like sometime overnight persons unknown stole signs and threw logs on the course. There was even a spare tire blocking the trail! Sucks...
    Saw some moose racing signs today and some flourescent pink tape strewn about today in fort valley...
    One of these days I'm gonna pull myself together
    Soon as I finish tearin' myself apart

mtbr member
    FLagstaff Frenzy Course Marking Problems

Quote from MBAA: "We will need people out on the course to direct traffic on the loops. The course was marked well by MBAA with the help of Linden and her group; however when riding it again on Sunday, much to our dismay, we found that people who do not want to have mountain bikers racing on those trails have removed the signage and tried to put blockers across the trails (including such things as a SPARE TIRE?) making riders think the trail was closed. Due to this dilema MBAA feels it will make for a much more pleasant race to actually have “spotters” on the course to protect and direct all of our racers in the event that the course markings have all been destroyed."

http://www.mbaa.net/
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper / Roubaix

Always a good day to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioDino
    FLagstaff Frenzy Course Marking Problems

Quote from MBAA: "We will need people out on the course to direct traffic on the loops. The course was marked well by MBAA with the help of Linden and her group; however when riding it again on Sunday, much to our dismay, we found that people who do not want to have mountain bikers racing on those trails have removed the signage and tried to put blockers across the trails (including such things as a SPARE TIRE?) making riders think the trail was closed. Due to this dilema MBAA feels it will make for a much more pleasant race to actually have “spotters” on the course to protect and direct all of our racers in the event that the course markings have all been destroyed."

http://www.mbaa.net/
    That is a real shame. We have some individuals up here in Flag that think they are acting in the spirt of Edward Abbey and do stupid things like this. Many of their antics cause more harm than good.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    That is a shame and I will be helping out at the race. One question for those who know, What is a good Single Speed gear for this course? I have not been able to pre-ride and I only done little parts of this but it was awhile back. Uh, S.S. novice not a top advance rider.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bik_ryder
    That is a real shame. We have some individuals up here in Flag that think they are acting in the spirt of Edward Abbey and do stupid things like this. Many of their antics cause more harm than good.
    frenzy just like the name of the race. Ghetto and lame on the part of those that decided to do this.

Promoting cycling is done in many different avenues, be it MBAA, underground, group rides, etc... This only hurts relationships in the bike community.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 05-14-2009 at 10:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Does anyone know where a good place to camp near the race staging area? Are there spots right there? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I haven't pre-ride the course as well so I'm following, good training day, see you guys at the race.
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper / Roubaix

mtbr member
    May 2007

34x20 or 32x18

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    That is a shame and I will be helping out at the race. One question for those who know, What is a good Single Speed gear for this course? I have not been able to pre-ride and I only done little parts of this but it was awhile back. Uh, S.S. novice not a top advance rider.
    TB, a 34x20 or 32x18 should be fine, not a ton of climbing by Flagstaff standards on this course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,go up to a 21 or 19 if you have doubts. What gear do you ride, and where do you ride?

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by mcodyw
    Does anyone know where a good place to camp near the race staging area? Are there spots right there? Thanks.
    Drive up Schultz Pass road a few miles and there are several primitive camp locations. You will be just a little more than a stone's throw away from the race course.
    Marty