Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Over the Hill

Flagstaff and Aspens turning color

I would be very appreciative if someone could post when the Aspens start turning color. I want to come out and visit family in Prescott and spend a few days riding in Flag. Looks like North CA high country may get some snow this weekend so fall is here. Big Bear Lake, Ca. got down to 31 degrees last night.

Dean

Ahhh the pain....
    I was up there yesterday around Aspen Corner...not quite yet...maybe 2-3 weeks?
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

slower than you
    chinese elms in town are going off
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Over the Hill
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have seen a few tops of Aspens turning around 9k but as raybum said about 2 to 3 weeks I imagine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Aspen on the north sides of the peaks are already going -- while the sunny sides haven't started yet. Good color in the Inner Basin as seen from the summit of Humphreys Peak yesterday.

-db-

mtbr member
    Flagstaff and Aspens turning color-img_2086.jpg
    Game On!
    - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Over the Hill
    Thanks got to get going then.

The past few years I have been hitting the Aspens around AZ Trail/Snowbowl and would like to get also get into inner basin this year. I have rode up Waterline to get there and have rode up that nasty jeep trail out of Locket Meadows. I know the hiking trail out of Lockett Meadows to Inner Basin is off limit to bikes so is there anther way to legally ride to IB I am missing?

Dean
    Last edited by dstepper; 09-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    Thanks got to get going then.

The past few years I have been hitting the Aspens around AZ Trail/Snowbowl and would like to get also get into inner basin this year. I have rode up Waterline to get there and have rode up that nasty jeep trail out of Locket Meadows. I know the hiking trail out of Lockett Meadows to Inner Basin is off limit to bikes so is there anther way to legally ride to IB I am missing?

Dean
    Agreed that the old jeep trail is nasty. But the hiking trail ("Inner Basin Trail") is open to bikes. And it's pretty nice!

Here is my blog/photo from this trail last year: Mountain biking in the Inner Basin of the San Francisco Peaks | Flagstaff Altitudes

-db-

Over the Hill
    Updates? I know it was cold and windy last night in So-Cal. Seems like Aspens are going to be turning color early this year.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Agreed that the old jeep trail is nasty. But the hiking trail ("Inner Basin Trail") is open to bikes. And it's pretty nice!

Here is my blog/photo from this trail last year: Mountain biking in the Inner Basin of the San Francisco Peaks | Flagstaff Altitudes

-db-
    Heading out next weds to Sun. So there is a Inner Basin Trailhead at Lockett Meadows that is not that jeep trail?

Kathleen in AZ
    I was camped out by Schultz Tank on Saturday (9/28) and rode Schultz-Secret-Newham-Motos the next day. Leaves have not yet turned on that side of the mtn. But the stars were magnificent! Will have more star pics by Friday Foto Day...

Is it just my lack of fitness, or has Supermoto taken a major beating from the rains? Seems that I was getting lost in the endless space between endless boulders whereas I used to just skim the tops of the rocks. Perhaps because I was on 27.5 wheels instead of my usual 29er? I dunno... but that trail is tough!

mtbr member
    I was hoping to venture north and ride the Schultz area this Wed-Fri..
    Would it be better to put it off a week? I'm really hoping to get to see the Aspen gold in all it's glory this year.
    I have had a few things come up home wise that would make next week better anyway.
    But, I wanted to check in and see if the leaves have started to turn as of Tues Oct 1..
    thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So there is a Inner Basin Trailhead at Lockett Meadows that is not that jeep trail?
    Correct. The old jeep trail isn't much fun on a bike. The Inner Basin trail, on the other hand, is a hoot!

-db-

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Is it just my lack of fitness, or has Supermoto taken a major beating from the rains?
    Many trails have taken a beating this year. And there is still water running in portions of Schultz Creek and down Easter Island. Truly amazing!

-db-

Meatbomb
    Was driving down from Page yesterday and the north side is on fire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    We biked from Lockett Meadows up the Inner Basin Trail to Waterline Road and then into the Inner Basin today. Lots of green still -- but it could hit its peak this week.

-db-

Over the Hill
    We biked from Lockett Meadows up the Inner Basin Trail to Waterline Road and then into the Inner Basin today. Lots of green still -- but it could hit its peak this week.

-db-
    What day? Were the gates open and not locked due to the government shutdown? I planned on riding there Wednesday and will be in town until Sunday maybe put Inner basin ride until later in the trip. Thanks ya'all for the updates.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What day? Were the gates open and not locked due to the government shutdown? I planned on riding there Wednesday and will be in town until Sunday maybe put Inner basin ride until later in the trip. Thanks ya'all for the updates.
    Today -- Tuesday. The Forest Service does not plan to close the forests. National Parks are a different story...

-db-

parenting for gnarness

-db-
    how much further up does Waterline go past the IB trail. And, IB Trail is basically where Pick Up Stix used to be (which was ~10 miles up Waterline iirc)?
    Thank you.

Over the Hill
    Waterline Road keeps going a number of miles past Inner Basin Trail and the turn into Inner Basin. I have never rode out there because the only two ways back down are both off limits to bikes wilderness trails (Bear Jaw Trail and Abineau Trail). If I have time I may ride out there just to check it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    how much further up does Waterline go past the IB trail. And, IB Trail is basically where Pick Up Stix used to be (which was ~10 miles up Waterline iirc)?
    Thank you
    Waterline Road continues for another 5 miles where it ends at Abineau Canyon. It's a less used section of the road and gets less maintenance but still fun to follow.

I'm not familiar with Pick Up Stix -- but the Inner Basin Trail is based on an old trail that has been partially rerouted. The newer section consists of switchbacks that are a hoot to ride. The old section is full of roots and some rocks and mostly climbs straight up the fall line.

-db-

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    The upper sections of Waterlline are probably passed their peak already; cold and wind made the leaves turn quickly. Many of the leaves beyond Bear Jaw had already blown towards the Hopi lands on Thursday when I was up there. Some stands of aspens had already dropped their leaves this week, others were just coming into glory in the Inner Basin. The Inner Basin will likely be winding down by the end of this weekend as well. Pickup Sticks is a fantastic ride down, albeit choked with hikers. There is another route up from Lockett that has not been mentioned; the service road just after campsite #12. It is steep, but smoother than the old Jeep road was on my single speed this week.

Over the Hill
    Was in Inner Basin and out to Jaw Bone on Thursday besides the wind it was excellent. Aspens were in their prime on Inner Basin Trail. Yesterday AZ Trail very close to prime lots of colors.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anyone -- Aspens completey done yet, the FS website is still in shutdown mode?

They were prime 3 weeks back in the upper elevations, but still mostly green at Aspen corners.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast