Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78

    Flag or Sedona in October

    Never ever been riding out there, I have three days to spend in the area.

    I'm leaning towards red agave and riding mostly in sedona, but i'm very open to suggestions.

    mostly XC/AM type riding-looking for either morning and afternoon jaunts and epics.

    Our schedule looks like this:

    Arrive in either location afternoon thursday
    Ride friday am, take lunch and then ride friday pm
    Epic saturday-all day event-bringing lunch with
    Early sunday ride to make it back to PHX for 3pm flight out.

    We are both experienced riders, although I wouldnt call us 'experts'-I'm getting back in the saddle after a long hiatus.

    TIA
    Ibis 2012 SL-R
    Ibis 2010 Mojo SL
    Fat City Cycles 93' Yo Eddy!
    Fat City Cycles 91' Wicked Fat Chance
    DB 89' Ascent EX

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Just do both! It is only a 40 min drive up to flag from sedona depending on traffic. Both areas have some awesome riding, but I feel that you could hit up some of the best each has to offer in three days. That being said, I reccomend leaving flag for the last day if you are not used to 8000+ feet of altitude. This way you aren't dead for the rest of your trip here. Sedona is still at a higher than typical alt. but it never leaves me as kicked after a 3+ hour ride as flag does.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    Just do both! It is only a 40 min drive up to flag from sedona depending on traffic. Both areas have some awesome riding, but I feel that you could hit up some of the best each has to offer in three days. That being said, I reccomend leaving flag for the last day if you are not used to 8000+ feet of altitude. This way you aren't dead for the rest of your trip here. Sedona is still at a higher than typical alt. but it never leaves me as kicked after a 3+ hour ride as flag does.

    Good advice-i'm from sea level so that is a concern.
    Ibis 2012 SL-R
    Ibis 2010 Mojo SL
    Fat City Cycles 93' Yo Eddy!
    Fat City Cycles 91' Wicked Fat Chance
    DB 89' Ascent EX

  4. #4
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,134
    Returning to Phoenix from up north on a Sunday can be a nightmare.... If you have to get back to PHX for a 3pm flight on a Sunday, you should consider doing a South Mountain ride in PHX that morning instead of Flag or Sedona. Then you'll be right next to the airport... Sedona on day 1, Flag on day 2, Phoenix on day 3!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Returning to Phoenix from up north on a Sunday can be a nightmare.... If you have to get back to PHX for a 3pm flight on a Sunday, you should consider doing a South Mountain ride in PHX that morning instead of Flag or Sedona. Then you'll be right next to the airport... Sedona on day 1, Flag on day 2, Phoenix on day 3!
    Thats good beta.
    Thanks Durt Gurl.

    Can you be a little more specific about 'nightmare?'
    I live in NYC-nightmare to me is standstill traffic on the long island expressway for a 70 mile trip that takes 4 hours.
    Ibis 2012 SL-R
    Ibis 2010 Mojo SL
    Fat City Cycles 93' Yo Eddy!
    Fat City Cycles 91' Wicked Fat Chance
    DB 89' Ascent EX

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by The Voyeur
    Thats good beta.
    Thanks Durt Gurl.

    Can you be a little more specific about 'nightmare?'
    I live in NYC-nightmare to me is standstill traffic on the long island expressway for a 70 mile trip that takes 4 hours.
    The weekends in PHX can be somewhat of an exodus to the high country and the only possible route is through I17 both ways. If there is even a simple flat tire on the road everyone has to slow waaaaay down to see what happened. Causing a jam both ways. Going back on Sundays can be terrible because of construction, flat tires, and the mystery jam that happens for no apparent reason. And I can honestly say that AZ drivers run the spectrum. From the elderly motorist who has no place being behind the wheel driving 55 in a 75 in the left lane with their blinker on, the 16 year old invincible meathead in daddys F250 going 90+, to the pissed off guy who is late for his flight at 3 and cant seem to get past the majority of drivers who have no idea that the mirrors are for looking behind you and that the left lane is for passing. And the Trucks! They provide a vital service but seriously do they ever have any formal training on how to actually pass? We have it all, and on Sunday that exodus reverses itself and it is not unheard of for someone to have a slight fender bender that stops the whole enchilada for hours on end. It is 140 miles from PHX to FLG. typically I can do it in just over 2 hours. wake up at 6, ride at 7 finish riding around 10, leave for valley around 11, arrive at 1330, deal with "logistics of travel" til 1430.....DG was right, I should have just come back last night.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    The weekends in PHX can be somewhat of an exodus to the high country and the only possible route is through I17 both ways. If there is even a simple flat tire on the road everyone has to slow waaaaay down to see what happened. Causing a jam both ways. Going back on Sundays can be terrible because of construction, flat tires, and the mystery jam that happens for no apparent reason. And I can honestly say that AZ drivers run the spectrum. From the elderly motorist who has no place being behind the wheel driving 55 in a 75 in the left lane with their blinker on, the 16 year old invincible meathead in daddys F250 going 90+, to the pissed off guy who is late for his flight at 3 and cant seem to get past the majority of drivers who have no idea that the mirrors are for looking behind you and that the left lane is for passing. And the Trucks! They provide a vital service but seriously do they ever have any formal training on how to actually pass? We have it all, and on Sunday that exodus reverses itself and it is not unheard of for someone to have a slight fender bender that stops the whole enchilada for hours on end. It is 140 miles from PHX to FLG. typically I can do it in just over 2 hours. wake up at 6, ride at 7 finish riding around 10, leave for valley around 11, arrive at 1330, deal with "logistics of travel" til 1430.....DG was right, I should have just come back last night.
    Thats me right?
    Hm....gotta think this one through a little bit.
    Considering showers and the like...
    hmmmm.
    Ibis 2012 SL-R
    Ibis 2010 Mojo SL
    Fat City Cycles 93' Yo Eddy!
    Fat City Cycles 91' Wicked Fat Chance
    DB 89' Ascent EX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •