Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710

    FLAG sat the 16th

    OK, guys. Im coming to flag, sat the 16th just for the day(so basically one long ride) and want some suggestions for a ride in the 15-30 mile range. We are both on HT29ers so fast and flowy would be ideal...but...we do like to get our chunk on too.
    So lets hear your suggestions...and yes, Ive looked at the sticky but I want to hear a fun ride from a local
    I dig dirt!

  2. #2
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,643
    ImaFred,
    Here's a ride I did last week on my SS29r...I think it has exactly what you're looking for....a nice zen-like climb up Schultz Creek, a nice climb up Climb3, descent down Upper Brookbank (super fun), descent down Little Gnarly (super fun), then an out and back on the AZT, followed by a descent back down Schultz.....one of my current 35 mile favorites...
    http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=5502690
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    Thanks for the reply raybum... Can't see it til I get home... need to create a account
    I dig dirt!

  4. #4
    The .05 percent
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    540
    you can do better. Lots of climb for boring straight shot downhills.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

  5. #5
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    you can do better. Lots of climb for boring straight shot downhills.
    I'm all ears!
    I dig dirt!

  6. #6
    The .05 percent
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    I'm all ears!
    Climb Elden lookout road, down sunset all way to Shultz tank, up whatever the new forest service trail that replaces Orian Springs is called, maybe Orian springs. Across to New ham continue over to the new upper secret, stopping for the manditory beer stop at the vortex on New ham. then continue on Secret down to pipeline, back up pipeline to lower moto, jump on Easter island back onto Lower moto to finish. Lots of up and down, not one single lame trail in the bunch.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

  7. #7
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Climb Elden lookout road, down sunset all way to Shultz tank, up whatever the new forest service trail that replaces Orian Springs is called, maybe Orian springs. Across to New ham continue over to the new upper secret, stopping for the manditory beer stop at the vortex on New ham. then continue on Secret down to pipeline, back up pipeline to lower moto, jump on Easter island back onto Lower moto to finish. Lots of up and down, not one single lame trail in the bunch.
    How many miles is this ride (approx)?
    What's the best map(free)to use/get?
    I dig dirt!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,858
    While Sinatorj's recommendation is excellent if you want to skip the hour climb on Elden Lookout Rd I'd do it backwards. Fort Valley over to Moto, Fig trail or whatever the connector (just below the pipeline) to West Secret (Double Agent) and then contour on Secret trail (Newham/Orion Springs) to Schultz tank. Up Sunset and then u. Brookbank to L. Knarly and Schultz. Throw in Jedi (not Sheepherder) if you want a little chunk. Also consider Supermoto and return to Schultz on the new AZ trail (which incorporates Onceler). 20 miles or so with 2500-3000' of climbing.

    Since your riding on a Sat I'd rather climb Sunset because of the hikers and also possibly equestrians. Schultz won't be that bad if you hit it in the afternoon. Most of the uphill traffic is in the morning as riders are heading out.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: The Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Climb Elden lookout road, down sunset all way to Shultz tank, up whatever the new forest service trail that replaces Orian Springs is called, maybe Orian springs. Across to New ham continue over to the new upper secret, stopping for the manditory beer stop at the vortex on New ham. then continue on Secret down to pipeline, back up pipeline to lower moto, jump on Easter island back onto Lower moto to finish. Lots of up and down, not one single lame trail in the bunch.
    You can do better. Riding up Elden Lookout road for five miles is lame, as are beer stops and riding the pipeline. The Hobbit and just below it are so badly eroded, that section of Sunset is a distant memory of the fun flowing trail it once was. Other than that, the second half of your ride is always fun.

    Telling someone to start their ride by going up Schultz Creek has become the default advice to visitors. There are a lot of better options. You could start at Buffalo Park and ride a clockwise loop, heading north towards Christmas Tree Trail. It requires knowledge of the many trails leading in that direction. There is a great cut-off trail from Christmas Tree, leading down below the powerline and across the '96 burn area to the AZ Trail tunnel under highway 89. The rains have made riding the cinder section a breeze and they have reinstalled the bridge over the stream. When you dump onto Rain Valley Road, you can continue on the AZ Trail and spill out and cross Route 66 and the train tracks and ride through the tunnel under I-40. Once you get onto Campbell Mesa Trails, follow the big loop around to the connector to the AZ Trail, ridding it through Walnut Canyon to Fisher Point. The mile long downhill run is among the best in town. Ride up the AZ Trail to Sam's Club and warm down riding back to Buffalo Park. Maybe 30 miles with not much climbing and a lot of flowing trails.

    Or, try starting at Buffalo Park, head up Lower Oldham to warm up. Blast down Rocky Ridge, which is about half fast and flowy and half mild technical riding. Then climb Schultz Creek, follow the AZ Trail west, turn onto Rocky Moto to head back, follow the singletrack trail, not the pipeline, from the end on Rocky Moto to Lower Moto, do the fast flowy ride down to the bottom of Schultz, ride more fast flowy trail in to the Elks Lodge, hang a louie and ride back up to Buffalo Park. I'm guessing 26 miles.

  10. #10
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    You can do better. Riding up Elden Lookout road for five miles is lame, as are beer stops and riding the pipeline. The Hobbit and just below it are so badly eroded, that section of Sunset is a distant memory of the fun flowing trail it once was. Other than that, the second half of your ride is always fun.

    Telling someone to start their ride by going up Schultz Creek has become the default advice to visitors. There are a lot of better options. You could start at Buffalo Park and ride a clockwise loop, heading north towards Christmas Tree Trail. It requires knowledge of the many trails leading in that direction. There is a great cut-off trail from Christmas Tree, leading down below the powerline and across the '96 burn area to the AZ Trail tunnel under highway 89. The rains have made riding the cinder section a breeze and they have reinstalled the bridge over the stream. When you dump onto Rain Valley Road, you can continue on the AZ Trail and spill out and cross Route 66 and the train tracks and ride through the tunnel under I-40. Once you get onto Campbell Mesa Trails, follow the big loop around to the connector to the AZ Trail, ridding it through Walnut Canyon to Fisher Point. The mile long downhill run is among the best in town. Ride up the AZ Trail to Sam's Club and warm down riding back to Buffalo Park. Maybe 30 miles with not much climbing and a lot of flowing trails.

    Or, try starting at Buffalo Park, head up Lower Oldham to warm up. Blast down Rocky Ridge, which is about half fast and flowy and half mild technical riding. Then climb Schultz Creek, follow the AZ Trail west, turn onto Rocky Moto to head back, follow the singletrack trail, not the pipeline, from the end on Rocky Moto to Lower Moto, do the fast flowy ride down to the bottom of Schultz, ride more fast flowy trail in to the Elks Lodge, hang a louie and ride back up to Buffalo Park. I'm guessing 26 miles.
    map? google earth?
    I printed the singletrack.us map but it doesnt have all the names
    I dig dirt!

  11. #11
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,643
    TPS,
    Do you have a GPX file that shows the route from Buff Park over to Walnut Canyon? Been wanting to create a big loop but missing that piece of the puzzle...
    rhemmele@gmail.com

    Everyone....
    Although I love a good climb and hence Elden Lookout Road, it's not my first choice by far. Plenty of other good interesting ways to get to the top. Climbing up Sunset is OK, but I much prefer Climb3 (veering left as you leave Schultz pass going towards Little Gnarly) since it is less traveled. (also seen lots of wild turkeys on it)

    I used to love to come down Weatherford due to some mild chunk followed by fast and quick, but now that someone created some almost square-edged water bars, it's not nearly as fun.

    Here's Dale's map for reference...doesn't show the latest stuff, but still really good...
    http://singletrack.us/gallery/displa...929&fullsize=1
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

  12. #12
    No mames guey
    Reputation: tpvet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    264
    Variations of a theme...

    Start at the bottom of Schultz. Cross over to the Fort Valley side, and ride up Dogfood. Right onto Onceler/AZ Trail and ride to the Sunset TH. Over to Lil' Gnar, then up to Brookbank. Down Sunset and then onto Secret. Down Upper Moto. Connector trail from L. Moto over to Rocky Moto, then up West Secret/Twisted Sister/Double Agent (Kyle's on the Wiggins map). Back down Secret to the Sunset TH. Down Schultz. Cold Duvels in the ice chest.

  13. #13
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    [QUOTE=The Prodigal Son;8231857]

    Telling someone to start their ride by going up Schultz Creek has become the default advice to visitors. There are a lot of better options. You could start at Buffalo Park and ride a clockwise loop, heading north towards Christmas Tree Trail. It requires knowledge of the many trails leading in that direction. There is a great cut-off trail from Christmas Tree, leading down below the powerline and across the '96 burn area to the AZ Trail tunnel under highway 89. The rains have made riding the cinder section a breeze and they have reinstalled the bridge over the stream. When you dump onto Rain Valley Road, you can continue on the AZ Trail and spill out and cross Route 66 and the train tracks and ride through the tunnel under I-40. Once you get onto Campbell Mesa Trails, follow the big loop around to the connector to the AZ Trail, ridding it through Walnut Canyon to Fisher Point. The mile long downhill run is among the best in town. Ride up the AZ Trail to Sam's Club and warm down riding back to Buffalo Park. Maybe 30 miles with not much climbing and a lot of flowing trails.

    Do You have a map of this? the beginning sounds a lil sketchy...

    Or, try starting at Buffalo Park, head up Lower Oldham to warm up. Blast down Rocky Ridge, which is about half fast and flowy and half mild technical riding. Then climb Schultz Creek, follow the AZ Trail west, turn onto Rocky Moto to head back, follow the singletrack trail, not the pipeline, from the end on Rocky Moto to Lower Moto, do the fast flowy ride down to the bottom of Schultz, ride more fast flowy trail in to the Elks Lodge, hang a louie and ride back up to Buffalo Park. I'm guessing 26 miles.
    Do you use riccochet, fr 522, weatherford,or??? you said azt west but that isnt on Dales map...
    when you drop on to rocky moto do you use flying fish to connect or ???[/
    QUOTE]
    I dig dirt!

  14. #14
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,450
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    You can do better. Riding up Elden Lookout road for five miles is lame
    Agree. On my biggest bike, I just sometimes climb up some sections on the road to link some of the trails, but climbing the entire time on that road sucks. Trails are much more fun.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation: The Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    860
    [QUOTE=ImaFred;8232086]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post

    Telling someone to start their ride by going up Schultz Creek has become the default advice to visitors. There are a lot of better options. You could start at Buffalo Park and ride a clockwise loop, heading north towards Christmas Tree Trail. It requires knowledge of the many trails leading in that direction. There is a great cut-off trail from Christmas Tree, leading down below the powerline and across the '96 burn area to the AZ Trail tunnel under highway 89. The rains have made riding the cinder section a breeze and they have reinstalled the bridge over the stream. When you dump onto Rain Valley Road, you can continue on the AZ Trail and spill out and cross Route 66 and the train tracks and ride through the tunnel under I-40. Once you get onto Campbell Mesa Trails, follow the big loop around to the connector to the AZ Trail, ridding it through Walnut Canyon to Fisher Point. The mile long downhill run is among the best in town. Ride up the AZ Trail to Sam's Club and warm down riding back to Buffalo Park. Maybe 30 miles with not much climbing and a lot of flowing trails.

    Do You have a map of this? the beginning sounds a lil sketchy...

    You sound familiar with most of our trails so I'll go into a little more detail and see if it makes sense. Also, I'd be willing to take you or anyone on this loop and show you the places to make your turns. I negotiated most of the next six weeks off of work, so I plan to ride a lot.

    Ride out the back of Buffalo Park, ride up Lower Oldham, about 150 feet past the gas pipeline there is a right hand turn. I'm calling the trail Burning Bush. It parallels the pipeline and heads north, next to the climbing area and then it ties into existing trails that continue north to Elden Grave site. From there, you have just one trail (I call it Treadstone) that stays above the pipeline and hugs the base of Elden. It is only a half mile long trail. It transitions into Thisty Dog Trail aka Wildlife Tree Trail or Pipeline Trail. That is a more technical trail that is right against Elden and works it's way uphill to meet Elden Lookout Trail. Turn right (downhill) on Elden Lookout Trail, making a left after about 200 yards or you'll end up in the parking lot trailhead for Elden Lookout. Then you ride north and pass the turn leading to the KOA. A 100 yards later, turn right onto Christmas Tree Trail. Follow it for a little over a quarter mile, going past a water tank on your left, followed by a sweeping "S" turn and heading slightly uphill. About 60 feet uphill after the turn, you'll see a social trail crossing Christmas Tree Trail. Turn right and blast downhill. You cross under the power lines and head into the area burned in '96. As you spped downhill, you have to turn left onto a trail before you reach the wooded area near the bottom where you bump into businesses. That left is fairly obvios and leads you north. That trail splits. Stay to the right and continue north about a half mile until you dump onto Sandy Seep Trail. Turn right and ride downhill for a couple hundred yards to where the AZ Trail splits off to the right. The AZ Trail wanders along for a half mile before it takes you through a tunnel under highway 89 near Townsend Winona Road. It continues through several homeless camps and through an easement on State Land and through some soft cinders that are now fairly firm. You will drop down and cross the wooden bridge over the stream. The trail turns left and heads upstream before swinging south towards Rain Valley Road. As you roll off the trail and onto the road, keep riding east on the road perpendicular to Rain Valley Road. About 200 yards down the road, there is a carsonite showing you the AZ Trail continues as it passes through a gate in the fence. Follow the AZ Trail for about a mile, you'll pass through a fence. The AZ Trail then continues east toward Cosnino before it crosses I-40. It's not a great section of the trail so I follow the dirt road on your right to where it feeds out onto East Route 66. Turn left and ride the pavement over the bridge that passes over the railroad tacks. Then look for a break in the fence and the tunnel that takes you under I-40. Follow that trail and it will tie you into the long loop (Walnut Loop) of Campbell Mesa. Turn left and ride theat loop clockwise until you meet up with the connector trail that takes you across FR 303 and onto the AZ Trail. Turn right onto the AZ Trail and in less than a mile, you will drop into Walnut Canyon. Follow the trail for about six miles to Fisher Point. Bomb down the 1 mile drop into the canyon. Next, you'll be climbing back towards town, about 4 miles. Their are trail signs at most of the turns on this section of AZ Trail. You'll dump down to the duck ponds, where you ride onto the asphault service road that leads up to Sam's Club. From there, you ride the sidewalk to the tunnel under Butler and along Enterprise, over the RR Tracks to Route 66. Turn left and ride a half mile to Switzer. Cross Route 66 and ride up Switzer to Turquoise. Turn right and ride uphill to Cedar. Cross the road and get on the dirt trail that leads uphill to Buffalo Park.


    Or, try starting at Buffalo Park, head up Lower Oldham to warm up. Blast down Rocky Ridge, which is about half fast and flowy and half mild technical riding. Then climb Schultz Creek, follow the AZ Trail west, turn onto Rocky Moto to head back, follow the singletrack trail, not the pipeline, from the end on Rocky Moto to Lower Moto, do the fast flowy ride down to the bottom of Schultz, ride more fast flowy trail in to the Elks Lodge, hang a louie and ride back up to Buffalo Park. I'm guessing 26 miles.
    Do you use riccochet, fr 522, weatherford,or??? you said azt west but that isnt on Dales map...
    when you drop on to rocky moto do you use flying fish to connect or ???[/
    QUOTE]
    I don't have a GPS. I don't ride Riccochet, 522 or Weatherford. The AZ Trail from Schultz Tank to Snowbowl Road was only completed a month ago. Dale doesn't have it mapped yet. When you arrive at the top of Schultz Creek Trail, people normally pass the boards with the maps and continue on Sunset Trail. Instead, you veer off to the left in the parking lot and look for the old road blocked by a log, with room for a bike to ride past it. That will take you a hundred yards to Schultz Pass Road, where you cross the road and take the next left. Follow that trail until the next trail you see that crosses it, about 200 yards out. If you were to go straight, you'd be on Secret Trail and ride a lot of cool trail westbound above the pipeline. By turning left, you will see the carsonite with the AZ Trail symbol and know you are on the AZ Trail. It quickly crosses 522 and the pipeline and works it's way west. Initially, it crosses Onceler and it is also laid on top of Onceler, in places that were well built. When the AZ Trail gets to the junction of Onceler and Dogfood, it continues west on new singletrack. It's fun and it's fast. You will cross over Moto and several old FS roads along you way towards Snowbowl Road. About a half mile before you reach Snowbowl Road, you will intersect Rocky Moto. You'll turn right onto it and ride it for it's entire length, about three miles. Then, insted of riding up to the pipeline and following it for a half mile to meet Lower Moto, you'll follow the newish singletrack trail at the end on Rocky Moto, that parallels the pipeline for a half mile and dumps you onto Lower Moto. From there, you probalby can find your way downhill to where you cross Schultz Pass Road and ride down to Schultz Creek Trail and complete the last half mile of it. From the parking lot, you ride towards the BMX jumps, past them, over Elden Lookout Road and immediately follow the driveway and the painted lines pointing you onto the singletrack trail that leads down past the pond to the stretch of properties leading to the Elks Lodge at the end of San Francisco St. There is a singletrack trail you can follow but yes, you will pass by a couple old no tresspassing signs. Eventually, when the area is fully developed, we may loose the trail. Currently, nobody seems to care. As you pass the Elks Lodge and dump onto the residentail street, turn right, ride a block and jump the curb, riding through one of the disc golf fairways to the singletrack trail leading through the opening in the boundary fence. You feed onto the dirt perimeter trail that circles Buffalo Park. turn right and follow it uphill a couple hundred yards to where you began the ride.

  16. #16
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,272
    [QUOTE=The Prodigal Son;8233116]
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post

    I don't have a GPS. I don't ride Riccochet, 522 or Weatherford. The AZ Trail from Schultz Tank to Snowbowl Road was only completed a month ago. Dale doesn't have it mapped yet. When you arrive at the top of Schultz Creek Trail, people normally pass the boards with the maps and continue on Sunset Trail. Instead, you veer off to the left in the parking lot and look for the old road blocked by a log, with room for a bike to ride past it. That will take you a hundred yards to Schultz Pass Road, where you cross the road and take the next left. Follow that trail until the next trail you see that crosses it, about 200 yards out. If you were to go straight, you'd be on Secret Trail and ride a lot of cool trail westbound above the pipeline. By turning left, you will see the carsonite with the AZ Trail symbol and know you are on the AZ Trail. It quickly crosses 522 and the pipeline and works it's way west. Initially, it crosses Onceler and it is also laid on top of Onceler, in places that were well built. When the AZ Trail gets to the junction of Onceler and Dogfood, it continues west on new singletrack. It's fun and it's fast. You will cross over Moto and several old FS roads along you way towards Snowbowl Road. About a half mile before you reach Snowbowl Road, you will intersect Rocky Moto. You'll turn right onto it and ride it for it's entire length, about three miles. Then, insted of riding up to the pipeline and following it for a half mile to meet Lower Moto, you'll follow the newish singletrack trail at the end on Rocky Moto, that parallels the pipeline for a half mile and dumps you onto Lower Moto. From there, you probalby can find your way downhill to where you cross Schultz Pass Road and ride down to Schultz Creek Trail and complete the last half mile of it. From the parking lot, you ride towards the BMX jumps, past them, over Elden Lookout Road and immediately follow the driveway and the painted lines pointing you onto the singletrack trail that leads down past the pond to the stretch of properties leading to the Elks Lodge at the end of San Francisco St. There is a singletrack trail you can follow but yes, you will pass by a couple old no tresspassing signs. Eventually, when the area is fully developed, we may loose the trail. Currently, nobody seems to care. As you pass the Elks Lodge and dump onto the residentail street, turn right, ride a block and jump the curb, riding through one of the disc golf fairways to the singletrack trail leading through the opening in the boundary fence. You feed onto the dirt perimeter trail that circles Buffalo Park. turn right and follow it uphill a couple hundred yards to where you began the ride.
    Do this.

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: The Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    860
    m77ranger
    While I hear that riding up the road is "lame"...


    Did not mean to infer Elden Lookout Road is always lame to ride up or has always been lame to ride up. I just felt there were better options with more singletrack. The payoff riding up the Lookout Road has diminished, for me. There is a lot more vehicular traffic speading clouds of dust, the Catwalk has become less of the fast fun roller coaster ride and more an eroded pinball excursion, the Hobbit has become increasingly void of soil between all the boulders, leaving me wondering if the risk is worth the cost of a new deraileur, and Sunset below the Hobbit is looking more and more like photos of Waterline, after last years flooding.

    All of that use to be the perfect beginning to a ride down Little Bear or Brookbank or Lower Sunset, and now I find better reasons to ride uphill on singletrack trails, no higher than the top of Little Bear, because there just isn't a big payoff. I thought about a new route around the Hobbit that dumps you at the top of Little Bear. I scouted up there for a couple years and determined it would take a lot of work. Too much work. I'll wait for the new Brookbank reroute and keep putting a bug in the ears of the moto trail builders, hoping they can route a new trail from the trailhead at 164b, west and north to meet up with the AZ Trail or the furthest west portion of Rocky Moto. That would make it possible to ride Fort Valley loops without riding any of FR 164b.
    Last edited by The Prodigal Son; 07-12-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: sloppy text

  18. #18
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    [QUOTE=The Prodigal Son;8233116]
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post

    I don't have a GPS. I don't ride Riccochet, 522 or Weatherford. The AZ Trail from Schultz Tank to Snowbowl Road was only completed a month ago. Dale doesn't have it mapped yet. When you arrive at the top of Schultz Creek Trail, people normally pass the boards with the maps and continue on Sunset Trail. Instead, you veer off to the left in the parking lot and look for the old road blocked by a log, with room for a bike to ride past it. That will take you a hundred yards to Schultz Pass Road, where you cross the road and take the next left. Follow that trail until the next trail you see that crosses it, about 200 yards out. If you were to go straight, you'd be on Secret Trail and ride a lot of cool trail westbound above the pipeline. By turning left, you will see the carsonite with the AZ Trail symbol and know you are on the AZ Trail. It quickly crosses 522 and the pipeline and works it's way west. Initially, it crosses Onceler and it is also laid on top of Onceler, in places that were well built. When the AZ Trail gets to the junction of Onceler and Dogfood, it continues west on new singletrack. It's fun and it's fast. You will cross over Moto and several old FS roads along you way towards Snowbowl Road. About a half mile before you reach Snowbowl Road, you will intersect Rocky Moto. You'll turn right onto it and ride it for it's entire length, about three miles. Then, insted of riding up to the pipeline and following it for a half mile to meet Lower Moto, you'll follow the newish singletrack trail at the end on Rocky Moto, that parallels the pipeline for a half mile and dumps you onto Lower Moto. From there, you probalby can find your way downhill to where you cross Schultz Pass Road and ride down to Schultz Creek Trail and complete the last half mile of it. From the parking lot, you ride towards the BMX jumps, past them, over Elden Lookout Road and immediately follow the driveway and the painted lines pointing you onto the singletrack trail that leads down past the pond to the stretch of properties leading to the Elks Lodge at the end of San Francisco St. There is a singletrack trail you can follow but yes, you will pass by a couple old no tresspassing signs. Eventually, when the area is fully developed, we may loose the trail. Currently, nobody seems to care. As you pass the Elks Lodge and dump onto the residentail street, turn right, ride a block and jump the curb, riding through one of the disc golf fairways to the singletrack trail leading through the opening in the boundary fence. You feed onto the dirt perimeter trail that circles Buffalo Park. turn right and follow it uphill a couple hundred yards to where you began the ride.
    I think
    I dig dirt!

  19. #19
    The .05 percent
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    m77ranger



    Did not mean to infer Elden Lookout Road is always lame to ride up or has always been lame to ride up. I just felt there were better options with more singletrack. The payoff riding up the Lookout Road has diminished, for me. There is a lot more vehicular traffic speading clouds of dust, the Catwalk has become less of the fast fun roller coaster ride and more an eroded pinball excursion, the Hobbit has become increasingly void of soil between all the boulders, leaving me wondering if the risk is worth the cost of a new deraileur, and Sunset below the Hobbit is looking more and more like photos of Waterline, after last years flooding.

    All of that use to be the perfect beginning to a ride down Little Bear or Brookbank or Lower Sunset, and now I find better reasons to ride uphill on singletrack trails, no higher than the top of Little Bear, because there just isn't a big payoff. I thought about a new route around the Hobbit that dumps you at the top of Little Bear. I scouted up there for a couple years and determined it would take a lot of work. Too much work. I'll wait for the new Brookbank reroute and keep putting a bug in the ears of the moto trail builders, hoping they can route a new trail from the trailhead at 164b, west and north to meet up with the AZ Trail or the furthest west portion of Rocky Moto. That would make it possible to ride Fort Valley loops without riding any of FR 164b.
    you just need to get on a long travel trail bike. No such thing as erosion or pinball with 6" of luxurious travel. Come to the dark side and you will see the logic in my type of riding.
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: The Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    you just need to get on a long travel trail bike. No such thing as erosion or pinball with 6" of luxurious travel. Come to the dark side and you will see the logic in my type of riding.
    Your Jedi mind tricks are having an effect. I'm now riding a 31 pound Niner R.I.P. with 4.5" of squish. I even had to replace the 32 and 44 tooth rings with a 30/40 combo. Much more fun going down. Not so much going up.

  21. #21
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    Your Jedi mind tricks are having an effect. I'm now riding a 31 pound Niner R.I.P. with 4.5" of squish. I even had to replace the 32 and 44 tooth rings with a 30/40 combo. Much more fun going down. Not so much going up.
    In a few years you'll be in the back of a shuttle truck.

  22. #22
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,710
    [QUOTE=The Prodigal Son;8233116]
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post

    I don't have a GPS. I don't ride Riccochet, 522 or Weatherford. The AZ Trail from Schultz Tank to Snowbowl Road was only completed a month ago. Dale doesn't have it mapped yet. When you arrive at the top of Schultz Creek Trail, people normally pass the boards with the maps and continue on Sunset Trail. Instead, you veer off to the left in the parking lot and look for the old road blocked by a log, with room for a bike to ride past it. That will take you a hundred yards to Schultz Pass Road, where you cross the road and take the next left. Follow that trail until the next trail you see that crosses it, about 200 yards out. If you were to go straight, you'd be on Secret Trail and ride a lot of cool trail westbound above the pipeline. By turning left, you will see the carsonite with the AZ Trail symbol and know you are on the AZ Trail. It quickly crosses 522 and the pipeline and works it's way west. Initially, it crosses Onceler and it is also laid on top of Onceler, in places that were well built. When the AZ Trail gets to the junction of Onceler and Dogfood, it continues west on new singletrack. It's fun and it's fast. You will cross over Moto and several old FS roads along you way towards Snowbowl Road. About a half mile before you reach Snowbowl Road, you will intersect Rocky Moto. You'll turn right onto it and ride it for it's entire length, about three miles. Then, insted of riding up to the pipeline and following it for a half mile to meet Lower Moto, you'll follow the newish singletrack trail at the end on Rocky Moto, that parallels the pipeline for a half mile and dumps you onto Lower Moto. From there, you probalby can find your way downhill to where you cross Schultz Pass Road and ride down to Schultz Creek Trail and complete the last half mile of it. From the parking lot, you ride towards the BMX jumps, past them, over Elden Lookout Road and immediately follow the driveway and the painted lines pointing you onto the singletrack trail that leads down past the pond to the stretch of properties leading to the Elks Lodge at the end of San Francisco St. There is a singletrack trail you can follow but yes, you will pass by a couple old no tresspassing signs. Eventually, when the area is fully developed, we may loose the trail. Currently, nobody seems to care. As you pass the Elks Lodge and dump onto the residentail street, turn right, ride a block and jump the curb, riding through one of the disc golf fairways to the singletrack trail leading through the opening in the boundary fence. You feed onto the dirt perimeter trail that circles Buffalo Park. turn right and follow it uphill a couple hundred yards to where you began the ride.
    Thank you! that was a great ride we rode from our motel by the 40 and it made for 35 mile ride with so
    I dig dirt!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bazooka_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    356
    Sorry to threadjack, but myself and a couple buddies are heading up on thursday for our first time. My phone says storms all week. You Flag guys think theres any chance we'll get rained out?
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation: The Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard View Post
    Sorry to threadjack, but myself and a couple buddies are heading up on thursday for our first time. My phone says storms all week. You Flag guys think theres any chance we'll get rained out?
    Unlikely. Trails are bone dry. If it does rain a lot, give it a few hours after it stops and your likely to have ideal conditions. I rode in a light rain last week and never got mud on my tires. It was a perfect ride. Well, except for my new helmet which funnels rain through it's vents directly into my eyes.

    I'm skipping work most of the week. If you are looking for company, let me know. You describe yourself as an all-mountain rider but mention you ride the comp loops, so I'm not sure how much tech you go looking for. Have a good trip.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,858
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard View Post
    Sorry to threadjack, but myself and a couple buddies are heading up on thursday for our first time. My phone says storms all week. You Flag guys think theres any chance we'll get rained out?
    I didn't know phones do weather forecasts but maybe you've got one o' dem new "smart" phones

    NWS is saying another wet/dry cycle so you should be fine:
    BY MID-WEEK...DRIER WESTERLY FLOW ALOFT WILL DEVELOP...HELPING TO REDUCE AFTERNOON RAIN CHANCES FOR THE LATTER HALF OF THE WEEK. THEN...AN ACTIVE MONSOON PATTERN IS EXPECTED TO REDEVELOP BY NEXT WEEKEND AS HIGH PRESSURE BECOMES ESTABLISHED OVER COLORADO AND NEW MEXICO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Flag area conditions(flag to munds)
    By bigdudecycling in forum Arizona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 01:39 PM
  2. Flag > Walnut Canyon > Fischer Point > Flag
    By JrockFeltaz in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 04:35 PM
  3. bigelow sat 16th 9:00 am
    By MTBRACERX in forum Connecticut, Rhode Island
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 05:47 AM
  4. Coe - This Saturday 16th
    By TahoeBC in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2006, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •