Vitamin Bike Added

Five Ten sole longevity

Just curious to see how much time you guys get out of a pair of 5.10s. I have some freeriders with the standard stealth sole and only (unfortunately) get to ride 1-2 weekly on average 10 mile rides and have already burned through the sole in 7 months. Am I riding like a clown or is this pretty common with the pinned pedals? Anyone know if the Tevas hold up better on the pins?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Five Ten sole longevity-photo-10-.jpg  

Keep the rubber side down

Go Speed Racer
    Going on 2 years on mine and they are nothing like yours. The rubber is hardening, but no holes like that... I am actually shopping for a new pair right now What kind of pedals to you have? I have the diety decoy's... Perhaps you have the pins set too high?

RHRF!
    That's about right on the time. Mine last about 7-9 months. If you need to get a few more miles out of them, try some Shoe Goo. Works really well and is pretty sticky after the initial application.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro View Post
    That's about right on the time. Mine last about 7-9 months. If you need to get a few more miles out of them, try some Shoe Goo. Works really well and is pretty sticky after the initial application.
    Thanks for the tip! I will check that out...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Might I suggest you try either the impact or one of their newer models. The Freerider sole is different. I get minimum of a year on a pit of impacts. If you happen to wear a 10, I'll flow you a pair of near-new Teva Links for $20 if you want to try them cheap.

Thread Killer
    I use shoe goo to extend the sole life also.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

Pivotal figure
    I get way more mileage out of mine and I ride at least 4 times a week (flats only). Might be your pin height for sure. I just got a set of the new Freerider XVI's and the sole is a nice mix of grip and stiffness, definitely worth considering. The one downside I noticed was that they are terrible for walking up a muddy trail (slick soles). At least it was kinda funny
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Shred...it's the new drug
    I have my original impacts from 5 years ago with some tread left. they have been replace by 3 other pairs that are in rotation. The freeriders are definetly not as durable as the impacts, more of a street shoe than a ride shoe. I'm breaking in my new vxi's on the street before taking them to the dirt and looking forward to it. I love 5.10's and wish they made dress shoes for work. Patent leather wing tip vxi's please!

mtbr member
    I've had a bunch of pairs of 5-10 Impacts which seem to last 1.5-2 yrs for me. Normally the toe peels off at the end before I have any trouble with the sole. Only one pair has had the sole worn significantly, and it was not cracked and torn like the pic, but rather worn down over time. For the sole to crack like that seems like the material was either defective or damaged perhaps due to heat? I have heard there are problems with versions other than the impacts, but that was earlier on when they started coming out with more models. Personally I will stay with the impacts.

mtbr member
    shoe goo x3
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Shred...it's the new drug
    I have a pair of the desert storm impacts holding together by the magic of the goo...extended life another season! Still rock them on dusty days

mtbr member
    My minnarrs got ate up pretty fast when I switched back to flats, the leather on the right toe ripped from the pressure of using clipless and having wide feet long before the sole started to go. My Free riders XVIs' seem to be holding up pretty well after 5 months of casual and riding use. With the freerider xvi it seemed like the stealth rubber needed to be "broken in" to the pedal, kinda odd.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Ok I feel newb but how can you modify pin height other than by buying shorter pins? I have the forte flats and have the pins fully inserted so there is only about 3-4mm of exposed pin. Sounds like I need those next generation free riders!
    Keep the rubber side down