mtbr member

Five days and nothing to fill it with. What do do?

Thanksgiving is coming up and I'm not going back home. After 9AM on Wednesday, I don't have to be back in Flagstaff until the next Monday. I haven't been riding much lately, so I want to get some riding in. I was thinking about driving to Moab or Vegas. In Vegas, I'd probably ride Bootleg and Cottonwood Valley. Or do whatever in Moab. I've never ridden either. I'd say I'm an intermediate XC/AM rider, so no downhill shuttles for me or anything like that. Help me decide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Moab just got like 6 inches of snow. Gp to Bootleg.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up on Moab. Vegas is closer anyway. Are the trails in Bootleg and Cottonwood worth the drive?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    im doing back to back 100-hour workweeks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on Moab. Vegas is closer anyway. Are the trails in Bootleg and Cottonwood worth the drive?
    Yes from what I hear. I'm stoked to be here this coming weekend to ski with my daughter and show some Jackson friends around Sedona. Sometimes the best fun can be had right here at home.

mtbr member
    I had thought about Sedona, but I got all winter for that. I want to go somewhere that isn't just a run down 89A away.

mtbr member

There's more to Vegas riding than bootleg and cottonwood. Bears Best trails a long with the technical cowboy trails are also worth riding. You might want to check out my old group if you want to ride with some locals. Vegas is very underrated when it comes to moutain biking.
    http://www.meetup.com/mountainbikelasvegas/

mtbr member
    Gooseberry would be a good time if the weather is looking decent. Have done Thanksgiving there before - daytime temps are cool to nice, nights are fairly cold but ok with a campfire. Lots of options to keep you busy, no shuttles required.

Another option would be SoCal. Tons of places to ride here. Palm Springs...Santa Ana's...Santa Monicas...Noble Canyon/BLT/Cuyamaca etc etc.

Heading to Santa barbara this year, looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Vegas eh? I would sell my bike and spend the cash on hookers and blow.

mtbr member
    I've only been to Bootleg. I think it's fun, but 1) it was above my pay grade, and 2) would end up getting old pretty quickly. I got the impression that there were not a lot of trails out there, especially for the mere mortals.

(I can't comment on Cottonwood.)

I'm not sure what the conditions are like--I'm assuming much like Moab and Flag--but southern Utah is a must on anybody's list. St. George, Bryce, Narrows. But those are probably better suited for summertime.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member

You can spend several hours out at bootleg easy, if you can handle exposure. If you ride the cowboy trails, that's an easy 3-hour ride, unless you're really fit, plus it has the best view of Vegas. Cottonwood/blue diamond you can accumulate 30 miles if you start at the town of blue diamond and ride out to Wilson's tank, nothing challenging at all. Bears best trails, has the best use of land in a small area plus the builder has some nice technical features. There's even a new trail system out there since I last lived out there, McCullough trails near Anthem.

If your interested let me know and can suggest some trails.

mtbr member
    Bears Best In Vegas is a great trail
    San Diego needs singletrack

Elitest thrill junkie
    National needs some rocks moved.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Icebiker Extraordinaire
    Mar 2008
    I'm also with nothing to do Thanksgiving weekend, based out of Flag. Except that I'm not free until Friday. I'm considering bikepacking the Black Canyon Trail over Friday-Saturday-Sunday.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    Bears Best In Vegas is a great trail
    Thank you! Thank you very much!
    We have some great unknowns too... if you come here, one trail you might search out besides bbt is... " kibbles n bits" at the cowboy trails( red rock ).
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Vegas eh? I would sell my bike and spend the cash on hookers and blow.
    Name:  h22F46ABC.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  23.3 KB
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Tttheres a race in a havasu.... Which is 2.5 hrs from Vegas so I say havasu race Mtb. Dinner on the lake then bootleg for a day.... Then Vegas till your broke and crying naked in a corner......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piratewake View Post
    Tttheres a race in a havasu.... Which is 2.5 hrs from Vegas so I say havasu race Mtb. Dinner on the lake then bootleg for a day.... Then Vegas till your broke and crying naked in a corner......
    Is that what's going on in your avatar?

Eazy-E, it's harder for older students to keep up. I suggest you stay home and study to make your professors proud. And then head over to St. Mary's and help feed food to the poor.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Is that what's going on in your avatar?

Eazy-E, it's harder for older students to keep up. I suggest you stay home and study to make your professors proud. And then head over to St. Mary's and help feed food to the poor.
    I punked out and decided to stay in Flagstaff. My three roommates are gone and I've got the whole place to myself. Campus is a ghost town. This is too nice to walk away from. Wednesday and Thursday, I rode in Sedona, I'll probably lay low today, and I might hike or ride(or both) tomorrow. Sunday, I'll probably hike with a German exchange student I know and I told him I'd teach him how to shoot a gun. You can't come to America and not shoot a gun, especially if you live some place where it's kind of taboo.

I've got some school work I plan on doing sometime before the weekend is over. I don't really have to, but finals are in two weeks and if I can de-load some of the end of the semester work, I'll be in a better position for later on. I'm not really having any trouble keeping up. If I get a C in my math class, I'll probably end the semester with a 3-3.2 GPA. I'm cool with that.

I'll never understand it, but all my teachers seem to love me. It's almost always been like that. I'm that guy who sits in the back, doesn't really try hard, and makes sarcastic, witty comments. By any measure, my teachers should all hate me, but they never do. Maybe it's my dry wit and my carefree attitude that appeals to smarty pants self important academic types? I just don't get it.

mtbr member
    I punked out and decided to stay in Flagstaff. My three roommates are gone and I've got the whole place to myself. Campus is a ghost town. This is too nice to walk away from. Wednesday and Thursday, I rode in Sedona, I'll probably lay low today, and I might hike or ride(or both) tomorrow. Sunday, I'll probably hike with a German exchange student I know and I told him I'd teach him how to shoot a gun. You can't come to America and not shoot a gun, especially if you live some place where it's kind of taboo.

I've got some school work I plan on doing sometime before the weekend is over. I don't really have to, but finals are in two weeks and if I can de-load some of the end of the semester work, I'll be in a better position for later on. I'm not really having any trouble keeping up. If I get a C in my math class, I'll probably end the semester with a 3-3.2 GPA. I'm cool with that.

I'll never understand it, but all my teachers seem to love me. It's almost always been like that. I'm that guy who sits in the back, doesn't really try hard, and makes sarcastic, witty comments. By any measure, my teachers should all hate me, but they never do. Maybe it's my dry wit and my carefree attitude that appeals to smarty pants self important academic types? I just don't get it.
    I'm curious where you store your firearms while you're on campus? Guns and college kids are a bad combo and I certainly hope your not in the dorms and keeping firearms on campus or in your car.

Anyhow, I bet part of your observation regarding your professors is that your an older student. Professors will give you the benefit of the doubt whereas for most 18 year olds who have just left the nest are perceived to not be serious students and are there mainly to have fun. An older student is more likely to concentrate on their studies. Just my 2 cents but I work at NAU and see it all the time.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'm curious where you store your firearms while you're on campus? Guns and college kids are a bad combo and I certainly hope your not in the dorms and keeping firearms on campus or in your car.

Anyhow, I bet part of your observation regarding your professors is that your an older student. Professors will give you the benefit of the doubt whereas for most 18 year olds who have just left the nest are perceived to not be serious students and are there mainly to have fun. An older student is more likely to concentrate on their studies. Just my 2 cents but I work at NAU and see it all the time.
    No, I don't keep a firearm in campus housing. That's against the rules. Although, if you read the NAU weapons policy it does state under Exceptions: "Any firearm that is lawfully stored and locked in a personally owned motor vehicle or compartment of a motorcycle and not visible from outside the motor vehicle or motorcycle pursuant to ARS 12-781" And ARS 12-781 basically says you can't tell me I can't have a firearm in my car. If you want to, you have to provide me with a fenced, guarded parking area and a readily accessible and secure locker where I can store said firearm, or supply me with parking where I can park my firearm containing car, but you can't charge me extra for it. I'm not saying I keep a gun in my car, but if I wanted to, I'm in my legal right. Just sayin'...

Even back in the day, when I was a POS 18 year old in high school, my teachers still liked me. If they like me now, it sure isn't because of my maturity level. Most people tell me I look like I'm about 22 or so. I think I mostly act like a teenager. I just got bigger, I haven't grown up. I definitely don't give off the stereotypical "older serious student" vibe. Outside of me just being a naturally funny and likable person, I have no other explanation. It's fine with me though, because if a teacher likes you, you get a little more sway and you never know when that might come in handy.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    doing the billy-madison full-time-college-in late 20's thing was fun.
    keep in mind that you are perceived as a mentor by the other students whether you're trying or not, but you're more believable because you're not on the faculty payroll.
    so be honest when they ask you for real word advice. if even if you manage to only keep one other kid out of jail during your 4 years, you can look back and say it was worth it.

EDR

Re: Five days and nothing to fill it with. What do do?

Hey EZ. I believe its in Arizona State statute that says you can indeed carry a firearm on to a public school campus. As you noted it must be locked away and basically invisible. Either in the trunk or glove box. You are of course not allowed to bring it out or to carry it into a classroom. Its not just an nau thing... It sounds like they are simply quoting the existing Arizona statute in their own words. That's all.

Anyways, it's about the ride and not the gun.