mtbr member

Fisher Point question

Hey all -
    I am planning a trip up to Flagstaff (from PHX) soon and did a little researching.... sounds like Fisher Point is still a decent trail? Is that sharp corner off Lonetree rd the best place to start the ride? It used to be an open field in the early 90s but appears to have houses all built up around the old trailhead.
    Any input is appreciated, thanks -
    Rich.

26 ain't dead
    I dont know about the old trailhead, just moved here myself, but Ive been riding up to fisher point from my house off Lake Mary rd several times a week. I go down Lake Mary and pick up the newer trailhead off the YX Ranch rd. This may not help you any, some input though...Im sure some Flag locals will know more than I do.

slower than you
    the best way to get out to fisher from town is to go out the FUTS trail that begins on the other side of the pond at the water treatment plant at the very end of babbitt drive near sams club. havent gone lonetree in years. cant stand that pine canyon development, its gates and too-fancy homes, and all the wrong-headedness it represents in our otherwise ungated community.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

banned
    Rich,
    There are several options available to get to and from Fisher Point. Do you want to make the one mile climb to the lookout point and then ride back down to the canyon floor to return to Flagstaff, or do it as a loop, coming from or riding towards Walnut Canyon?
    The route from the base of Fisher Point north or east is designated as The Arizona Trail corridor. If you are climbing up to the top and riding towards Walnut Canyon, you are on what is called The Equestrian Bypass, that circumnavigates around Flagstaff and rejoins the AZ Trail that runs through town, up near Schultz Tank. The part of the AZ Trail that runs through town goes from the base of Fisher Point north and slightly east, zig-zagging to where it runs under I-40, and rather than follow the trail along the Rio de Flag, it climbs the service road up to Sam's Club. I think the street is Babbit Drive. The trail then follows Butler to the new tunnel under Butler and follows Enterprise to Route 66, turns left and runs along the paved urban trail to Switzer Canyon Road, then turns onto Turquoise to the corner of Cedar Ave. where it follows the crushed rock urban trail up to Buffalo Park. From there it ties into Lower Oldham and then to Rocky Ridge, Schultz Creek Trail, and works it's way up to meet the Equestrian Bypass.

You could start your ride at Campbell Mesa and take the conector trail from there to the AZ Trail and ride the 5 miles to Fisher Point where you will really enjoy the one mile screaming downhill to the canyon below. From there you will have about 4.5 miles to Sam's Club, and another 4 miles back to Campbell Mesa.

There is a really great long loop that starts at Buffalo Park and takes you up Lower Oldham a bit, turns east on Danzo (new trail), connects to Elden Grave Site, continues on something we call Treadstone, then onto Thirsty Dog, which ties into Fatman's Loop, connects to Christmas Tree Trail, connects to the AZ Trail (equestrian bypass), passes under highway 89 through a tunnel at Townsend Winona Road, continues to Rain Valley Road, connects to another tunnel under I-40 and puts you onto Campbell Mesa where you can circle around the big loop and take the connector to the AZ Trail and follow it to Fisher Point, to Sam's Club, and then ride up to Buffalo Park. Total distance - about 34 miles, with 28 miles of single track, 3 miles of double track, and 3 miles of sidewalk/urban trail.
    Most of the trails mentioned have been mapped with the exception of the trails leading from Lower Oldham to Elden Lookout Trail. The turn off of Lower Oldham is located about 150 feet above the pipeline, and breaks right. As a general rule, you stay about halfway between the pipeline and the base of Elden until you get to the Grave Site. From there you follow the only trail there is, as it rolls along the base of Elden for 2.25 miles, and then ties into Fatman's Loop, where you turn and ride downhill for a few hundred yards, turn left and ride another few hundred yards, and you will then turn off Fatman's onto Christmas Tree Trail. There is a beautiful shortcut to get from Christmas Tree Trail to the tunnel under highway 89, but it is difficult to describe where the turns are, so it is best for most people to ride to Sandy Seep and turn downhill and follow the AZ Trail signs to the tunnel.

In about a month, there will be an entirely new section of the AZ Trail completed near Walnut Canyon, that is a reroute which allows mountain bikers to ride down into and up out of Walnut Canyon with no need to hike there bikes for several hundred feet. It will be a very popular section of trail and I will give you the first look at some of it right now.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

last three...

Ultraviolence by New Order
    Reverberation by The Jesus and Mary Chain
    I Wanna Be Your Limousine by Black kids

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    That newly cut trail looks so inviting. It needs to know my tires. I've only every ridden Elden. This has been on the list though. Good snaps.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Wow guys thanks for the awesome feedback. Sounds like I have several options to consider.

Prodigal Son - So much detail there, I think I have more even questions, but thanks a lot! If my memory serves from 15 yrs ago, the route from the old trailhead was out and back (not a loop), but I vaguely remember connecting to Lake Mary Rd about 10 miles out and riding back on pavement. I would love to turn it into a loop if there is more trails to consider... I'll review your recommendations below. Thanks again.

RockyChrysler - The FUTS trail sounds easy to find. Perhaps I'll hit one of the shops before heading out.

Chainslap - Thanks for the comments too!

See you up there soon!

Rich.

My other ride is your mom
    @Rich....I can send you a gps track which may give you a cool loop incorporating Fisher pt and take you back to Flag...let me know if interested.

im4Gsus
    @prodigal son: your first two pics look like a section of HAB a friend and i encountered while exploring the Az trail from the connector at campbell mesa. we just walked down towards the first tight right hand turn (both our 1st pics) and saw how rocky and steep it was and turned around like chickens that we are. if this is the same section, and it looks that way, what an improvement!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fisher Point question-a1.jpg  

Fisher Point question-a2.jpg  

"If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

banned
    Kaboose, Your picture is just a few feet from where we began construction of the new trail, making a hard right turn just before the old trail got fairly difficult to ride downhill, and even worse to ride up.

We are also rerouting the western end of the trail, as it begins climbing out of Walnut Canyon. We had over 40 people working on that section Thursday morning. It also had a nearly 30% slope that made it impossible to ride up. We hope to complete all work by the end of September.

This is some of what you missed by turning around...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

last three...

Play by The Cure
    There There by Radiohead
    Wasted State Of Mind by Trail Of Dead

im4Gsus
    yuck!!!!!!!!!!!
    we wuz smart to turn around!!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    @Rich....I can send you a gps track which may give you a cool loop incorporating Fisher pt and take you back to Flag...let me know if interested.
    Thanks Maadjurguer, but I don't have a GPS unit. I'm just hoping the trails are not too soaked tomorrow!

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    We are also rerouting the western end of the trail, as it begins climbing out of Walnut Canyon. We had over 40 people working on that section Thursday morning. It also had a nearly 30% slope that made it impossible to ride up. We hope to complete all work by the end of September.

Check the calendar to help out or find some fun.

Also, it's in development, but I welcome any thoughts/comments.

Explore and Enjoy!