Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    How much further ???

First Timers K-trail Ride. Sunday 7/24

Update !

Directions: Ive included a map of how to get to the trail head after you turn off 60 onto Kings Ranch Rd. Marker A indicates the Walgreens, marker B shows the entrance to the parking area. You can either turn right off Kings Ranch Rd, take the little dirt road to the gravel parking lot, or park along the road there. Up to you. If anyone has issues with the directions or map let me know.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S+...ra=ls&t=h&z=14

I know there are a number of people out there who have never made it out to K-trail yet due to one reason or another. The trails arent the easiest to follow (not hard either) but I have been out there several times and would like to volunteer to lead a first timers ride out at the K-trail this Sunday. (Anyone can join though)

The plan will be to be in the pedals between 5:30 and 5:45am. The route will consist of riding up Couger to Lost Goldmine, head east where we will meet up with the K-trail proper. At this point we can session some of the lines on the large rock structure and when we have our fill, we will continue down the K-trail, over and up to Vortex and back to the cars. The plan is to ride at a B- pace. The route is roughly 10-12 miles and will take approx 90min saddle time give or take. Newbies are welcome as are more experienced riders but we wont be setting any land speed records.

Depending on the response I will post up where to meet later in the week. The Apache land parking lot is off of Kings Ranch Road but is sort of hidden as well. Might be easier to meet at the Walgreens at Kings Ranch Road and US 60 and then drive to Apache Land.
    Last edited by Douger-1; 07-21-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Mesa Menace and I may join you on Sunday. Thanks Douger.

A couple points for others reading this: first, if you've never ridden out here, DO IT! This is a grat trail and well worth the drive out east. Second, you need a guide; it's tough to find this trail without one.

Control Freak
    watch for mountain lions...one named Roy has been seen around there kicking bikers off their bikes and looking for beer in the packs.

Tim

mtbr member
    I may be in! I have out of town for the last week with no riding and i have never rode k trail. I will be home tomorrow night and will let you know. THANKS

Doug

Shred...it's the new drug
    I'd be all over this like a fat kid on a blizzard if I wasn't gonna be in the cool pines of colorado...Keep us in the loop for the next tour, I want to taste the special K!

DFL>DNF>DNS

Gold Canyon Map

If plans to head up to the rim fall through, I'll be more than happy to tag along. I was out there y'day attempting to ride the entire network, but my bike had other ideas. I posted up a few pics in the Friday Photo thread.

Anyway, Douger have you thought about riding down Cougar? I think it flows a little better in that direction. Here's a map, follow the green arrows for a 13 mile loop as described earlier. If you haven't been out to the K yet, it really is a blast.

This map shows all the trails + connectors out there (that I know of) minus a few of the jeep roads. This route starts/ends @Apacheland.

First Timers K-trail Ride.  Sunday 7/24-gc_trailsystem3.jpg

I guess I should have just included THIS Garmin data for route.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    Yeah Ive riden down Couger once and it is quite fun. I like the little drop going that direction although its fun to climb as well. Ive also riden up K-trail which is a fun challenge. I think the route will all depend on the ability of the riders who show up. Im all for a longer ride and your route looks pretty good.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    If I'm home, I'm in! I am out of town the rest of this week for work, but will be back Friday night. Thanks, Douger-1.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

mtbr member
    I am in! Once you decide on a meting place let us know. I am not familiar with this area at all so if you have a physical address I can map quest it.

How much further ???
    Great !!! I will post up the meeting place for sure. Looking forward to the ride.

I love bike!
    If I don't run into any weekend snags I should be able to make it.

How much further ???
    Directions posted on the first post of the thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am going to try to make it. I am a friend of Kevins and rode a portion of the trail a couple of weeks ago but would like to see more of it. I will let Kevin know you are riding and maybe he will want to show up.

THX

I love bike!
    Are knee/elbow pads recommended for the goof around sections or a little overkill?

How much further ???
    I never wear any pads but thats me. I would say its overkill but its your hide so I dont feel comfortable telling you one way or the other. The only thing I can do is compare to another trail and since Ive riden with you on Pass Mt Id say that Id wear pads on Pass Mt before Id wear them on Ktrail. Not sure if that helps or not.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Looks like I'm out for this one, heading up to the Rim for some AZT.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

How much further ???
    NP. Will catch ya another time. Have fun up on the Rim.

How much further ???
    Reminder. PM me if the directions are unclear. We will meet at the Apache Land parking lot (marked B on the map provided above) between 5:15am and 5:30am. We start pedaling at 5:30am.

mtbr member
    My car is in the shop so I will be rolling the honda minivan (silver) and I ride a white Giant hardtrail. I have a bit of a drive and hope to arrive around 0515 at the latest. Is it going to be hard for us to find each other or are we about the only crazys at that hour?

mtbr member
    I couldn't make your Sunday morning ride, so went out there 10ish till 1:30 today and hit up every bit of single track that I could find, 1st time out there. No problem finding the turn in to the dirt road, although it was daylight, and only saw 2 hikers up on Lost Goldmine, otherwise I had 3+ hours all to myself. Very interesting trails, I enjoyed the meandering layout, tons of switchbacks.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    I couldn't make your Sunday morning ride, so went out there 10ish till 1:30 today and hit up every bit of single track that I could find, 1st time out there. No problem finding the turn in to the dirt road, although it was daylight, and only saw 2 hikers up on Lost Goldmine, otherwise I had 3+ hours all to myself. Very interesting trails, I enjoyed the meandering layout, tons of switchbacks.
    1:30p on the trail? WOW...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    1:30p on the trail? WOW...
    I ride 5-6ish in the afternoons also, after work. I ride when my schedule allows. Yes, it was hot. 2 Saturdays ago I was just coming off SoMo at midnight.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    2 Saturdays ago I was just coming off SoMo at midnight.
    I've been toying with the idea of hitting up SoMo after work which is between 6p and 8p weekdays. Might be easier to do that than to get my lazy ass up at 4a to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of hitting up SoMo after work which is between 6p and 8p weekdays. Might be easier to do that than to get my lazy ass up at 4a to ride.
    I get up at 4:45 for work, earlier is not an option that I would consider. So, evenings it is. This time of year, it's still hot after dark, but at least you don't have the sun beating down on you. Plus, night riding is just a whole different kind of excitement. A lot of the features that you are good at become a whole new challenge with just a head lamp.

gap
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm joining this ride. Look out for a blue Hyundai Elantra and purple/brown GT Force.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast