starladear

First time in Tucson. What's a must ride section of Arizona Trail?

Looking for trail advice around Tucson or to the south, particularly on the Arizona Trail but I'm open to any advice. Throw in some primitive camp spot and maybe some Southern AZ cuisine suggestion and I'll be your best friend
    Just want to experience the best the area has to offer especially since I convinced my wife to enjoy outside the box a little this holiday season.
    Thank you in advance!
    Starladear
    There is no finish line

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Uh, all of it?? What are you looking to do? Loops, out-n-backs, Point-2-point shuttles?? Options abound.

If you're looking for buffed out singletrack, the portion between The Lakes & Loma Alta TH is what you want. Like hills & grassland riding? Then you want the section farther south from Gardner Canyon north to Helvetia Rd. Want some climbing & chunk? Do the Redington/AZT/La Milagrosa loop.

The annual AZT Jamboree fundraiser is coming up on Sat. Jan. 6th This ride overlaps the southern bits and most of the buffed singletrack.

For more of the southern stuff, check out either the long or short Kentucky Camp routes put on by the Arizona Endurance Series. You could find some isolated camping next to the AZT in this area.

The Redington/AZT/Millie ride is part of Camp Tucson. See info for Day 1.

A popular out-n-back ride on the buff stuff is from the Pistol Hill TH south to Gabe Zimmerman TH or a bit farther if you want more miles.

Check the links out, do your homework and go tear it up. Then stop by Seis Kitchen for a post ride burrito.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters: Ups & Downs

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Two of my favorites on that side of the AZT are 1) parking at Hwy 83 and Sahuarita head south to the second green gate (roughly 19 miles out and back). 2) Would be to park at the north end of Camino Loma Alta and head to Colossal Cave (around 20-21 miles). You can also add miles and turn around at three bridges by Marsh Station Road. There are a few fun chuncky sections back in there. Have fun!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quick question but what skill level are you? One of the best trails in the Tucson area is La Milagrosa trail. The molino section of the Arizona trail is one way to ride the trail. Plus you there is camping right at the trail in the molino camp ground. If you camp here Bugs springs is also a very scenic trail with amazing views. This is also easier then Milagrosa. The Molino camp grand is a nice place to stay. Another option is Bellota section of the Arizona trail. You can turn off and hit the best part of milli for a finish. Plus you can camp in the Redington area.

For restaurants I would say Guadalajara grill. Its not Sonora Mexican food but its good. If you are out by Pistol hill (which is a good ride) check out saguaro corners. The tater tots are amazing. IF your in the north east side try bear canyon pizza. Dont get a whole pizza the single slices are better.

All the trails that have been mentioned are on trail forks app.

mtbr member
    I am coming down from Moab to ride this Friday through Tuesday. My girlfriend and I want to ride some shuttle/point to point rides.

Friday- BCT
    shuttle northern parts like say Antelope creek rd to first side exit to Black Canyon City.
    Saturday- AZT
    La Seville to Hope camp shuttle
    Sunday- Mt Lemmon
    Monday- Oracle
    I am thinking of a point to point near the park or a loop not sure yet

The plans are not set in stone so we are willing to swap some rides if anyone would like to meet us and shuttle/p2p with us!

Mark
    72oh-635-7429
    Divide Bike Bags

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strunkbro View Post
    For restaurants I would say Guadalajara grill. Its not Sonora Mexican food but its good.
    skip Guadalajara. El Charro is the way to go

mtbr member
    Chiva Falls is a fun ride, as is Charouleau Gap.

El Charro is awesome, as is Cafe Poca Cosa.
    2016 El Oso Grande

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I live on the far NE side (Tanque Verde and Houghton) and I have spent the last 10 years riding Mt Lemmon and Redington Road areas and have never wanted anything more

Bug Springs – Mt. Lemmon |
    Chiva Falls |

A fun day for me is to have my wife drop me off at Bug Springs and I ride home. The Molino Basin part up over the saddle and down Milagrosa probably shouldn't be done alone though.

Lots of good Mexican, La Salsa at Speedway and Wilmot is our favorite.