mtbr member
    Sep 2008

First time riding in AZ. Where to go???

So the weekend of Dec. 6 - 7 my buddies and I are heading to Utah for the amazing trails there. We have been all over Gooseberry, Thunder Mtn, Bear Claw, Church Rocks, JEM, Guacamole, Stucci Springs and several more.

The Dilema: Weather
    if the weather is bad in Utah, we still wanna hit some great rides so i proposed Arizona. I have heard lots of good things about the rides there but if we have 2 days, what trails are and absolute must? we plan on doing 2 - 3 rides each day totaling about 60 miles. we do lots of climbing but love the single track. Downhills are cool too but no triple diamond stuff please, we dont carry pads.

We're coming from San Diego so it'll be a bit of a drive. Do you guys think it's worth it?? Should we go do some Vegas rides instead? Any other suggestions for some high class riding/single track? Thanks.

wretch
    SOMO (South Mountain) Check the visitors sticky for info and trails. Look at the threads up here for group rides if interested. I tried solo exploring the trails out here and it was alright, but IMO your much better tagging on with a group here. Pretty sure we are all nice and well rounded people. (some might be more round than others)

Multiple rides and what not, long epics, and tons of climbing? Go find Durtgurl and one of her many popular rides.

There's also awesome riding in Prescott, Sedona, and Globe, all a short drive from Metro. Phoenix.

There are many others out there that know a lot more than me so g'luck. . .

dirt visionary
    South Mountain (PHX) National Trail, Black canyon Trail (BCT) , Sedona .

Check the visitor sticky for more info

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Definitely South Mountain. Do the Desert Classic... it's considered by most a beginner's ride, but it's a perfect introduction to the Phoenix landscape. Then hit the National Trail if you have time.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Have you already reviewed the VISITORS READ HERE FIRST sticky at the very top of our forum? Check there and come back with questions.

p.

slow uphill