mtbr member

First time on Geronimo..

After so many years, I finally rode down Geronimo on Friday night.

We started out near cactus bikes at 8:30pm, rode up Mormon/National to BV (secret water stash), then down the Geronimo trail. It was a lot more demanding than I imagined (videos make it look like a cakewalk). It is pretty much all doable, but it keeps you on your toes all the way down (not as much so as Corona De Loma, but Geronimo delivers the goods)...

After that, we went up the Mormon trail from 24th st, then back down to the car (about 1am)...I give this loop a pretty decent difficulty rating, mostly because the climb up Mormon was harsh (harsh enough that I am feeling it today still)..

Would I do it again? Hell yes...it was a blast, although going up Mormon was rough, lots of HAB.

Next big SoMo ride I hope to hit Holbert in a similar ride, but will take the road back up to National. Anyone have any comments about the Kiwanis trail? I could see taking it instead of riding road all the way up to National, unless it is too gnarly for me to climb (I mean if it's like going up Mormon, I might as well stay on the road).
    Check my pulse...

Saucy Size Moderator
    Kiwanis is a staircase.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
    Kiwanis is a staircase.
    Kiwanis is a lot of fun. yes there are sections where you just pick up your bike for awhile, but A LOT of it is gettable. It takes about the same amount of time as going up 24th.

2 awesome loops are up 24th->National-Telegraph->road->National->24th
    and
    Kiwanis->road-Upper Holbert-Holbert->road->down Kiwanis.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks.

I guess I'll have to to hit it and see how it goes.I was only able to ride about 30% of the Mormon climb, hopefully I can do better on Kiwanis (I was riding weak Friday night)

I probably will need to stage a bit more water since used up 2 complete loads on the Geronimo trip and the Holbert ride will be about 20% more trail I guess..

Then I need to see if the poor bastard that went with me is down for a similar ride, he wasn't real happy clawing his way up Mormon...I could just hear the constant drone of muffled profanities with my name mixed in all the way up that trail.
    Check my pulse...