Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First solo night ride

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Skeeter97 
#1 ·
So I had a buddy cancel on me at the absolute last second the other night. Normally I would have just called it quits but I was DYING to ride so I said screw it and headed out myself. Everyone has told me riding solo at night is a bad idea but I wanted no part of that! Went to FINS and had one of the best rides I've had all year. The nice thing is, since I was 98% sure someone was chasing me with a machete the whole time, I flat out squashed all my PR's on strava 😊. Honestly though, after about 20min of feeling spooky I was able to settle in and have a great ride. My point for this post? Idk, but if you are like me and was hesitant to ride solo at night, JUST DO IT!! It was hands down one of my coolest rides this year, and I've been on a ton! One ride out solo and you'll be ok, I plan on making this a regular thing since my riding buddies aren't all that available any more. A new bike doesn't hurt the motivation either 😊

#3 ·
..since I was 98% sure someone was chasing me with a machete the whole time...
LOL, I started night riding this year, and my first few rides were solo, and I know this exact feeling! That and thinking that shadows were all kinds of things from coyotes, to bears, to the grim reaper. While I don't get that feeling too much any more as I have gotten used to riding at night, that is part of why night riding is so great (for me).

Funny how I used to want Summer to end so I could get more rides in, and now I want it to stay summer so I can keep riding at night! Good news is I now have true, full blown, year round riding, with awesome trails so close to home.

I really reccomend going to one of the McDowell Mountain Preserve night rides. I have been to to the last two and they have been a BLAST. 110+ riders our there, Fountain Hills Bikes provides FREE food afterwards (it has been REALLY good the last two times), and FREE DRINKS. The ride is awesome, and the VIBE at the parking lot is amazing. I will be there for the next one on August 10th

#4 ·
Most of my riding is night riding, though usually with others.
Probably once a week I do a night ride solo in PMP, always just as fun. Though the tunnels under the freeway/roads do contain some interesting things, such as hobos, shopping carts, large trash, etc.

#6 ·
I miss the night riding at FINS. I am used to doing it as a group, but the group rides on a night that my wife works, but never thought of going solo. Maybe a solo night ride is in my future...

#7 ·
I love a good solo night ride. I use to do SoMo and Hawes often at night by myself. Riding National solo really gets the blood going at night and Riding Secret at Hawes at night solo can get your hair to stand on end. Making it to the top of Mine is a nice reward during a full moon as it bounces off the Salt River below. It's both freeing and frightening at the same time. Love it. My riding always increased during the hot summer months over winter, probably due to night riding and longer rides up north.

#8 ·
I love night riding and most of the time it’s solo because of my work hours. I do have a few friends who join me once a week (usually Wednesday nights) and we go to different area’s to mix it up. Last night I did Thunderbird Park, before that it was Phoenix Mountain preserves (west end) then it was Sonoran Preserves, we hit up South Mountain Javalina, DC and even Mormon to Buena Vista. Some nights it’s slow and easy others it’s a hammer fest and I always bring beer for a break at a peak.

This year though I did come across a homeless person sleeping on the trail along the Mine Drop Loop at PMP, I wasn’t sure what it was until I rolled up past him and scared the **** out of him. Because he shouldn’t be sleeping on the trail I didn’t feel the need to apologize, I did mention (from a safe distance) that he is on a trail and to expect other users to pass now and again.
A month later (two weeks ago) a buddy and I were riding the mine drop loop again and I decided to go to the very top which is off to the left for a break and view of Cave Creek Rd and sure enough there was the bum sleeping. I pulled up (again keeping a safe distance) and was about to turn around when he jumped up throwing his blanket towards me and swinging like he was fighting fly’s. I shined my lights directly in his face and told him to calm down, after he realized he wasn’t being jump I again explained he was in an area where others may be riding to and he should find somewhere else to crash off the trails.
He never said a word, he just stood there like I was intruding on his private area. I haven’t seen him since but I am aware he is out there.

This won't stop me, I just take a little extra caution.

#9 ·
I love night riding and most of the time it's solo because of my work hours. I do have a few friends who join me once a week (usually Wednesday nights) and we go to different area's to mix it up. Last night I did Thunderbird Park, before that it was Phoenix Mountain preserves (west end) then it was Sonoran Preserves, we hit up South Mountain Javalina, DC and even Mormon to Buena Vista. Some nights it's slow and easy others it's a hammer fest and I always bring beer for a break at a peak.

This year though I did come across a homeless person sleeping on the trail along the Mine Drop Loop at PMP, I wasn't sure what it was until I rolled up past him and scared the **** out of him. Because he shouldn't be sleeping on the trail I didn't feel the need to apologize, I did mention (from a safe distance) that he is on a trail and to expect other users to pass now and again.
A month later (two weeks ago) a buddy and I were riding the mine drop loop again and I decided to go to the very top which is off to the left for a break and view of Cave Creek Rd and sure enough there was the bum sleeping. I pulled up (again keeping a safe distance) and was about to turn around when he jumped up throwing his blanket towards me and swinging like he was fighting fly's. I shined my lights directly in his face and told him to calm down, after he realized he wasn't being jump I again explained he was in an area where others may be riding to and he should find somewhere else to crash off the trails.
He never said a word, he just stood there like I was intruding on his private area. I haven't seen him since but I am aware he is out there.

This won't stop me, I just take a little extra caution.
How was t-bird at night? I live right down the street from there but for some reason have never ridden it. I'd like to check it out but should probably wait until daytime to learn the trail a bit first before doing it at night

#10 ·
Just like riding anything for the first time just take it easy. The only issues are being able to see the big loose rocks that will take your front tire out but it's really only a concern if you go to fast or to slow on a turn. If you know the area then you shouldn't have a problem. If you ever can start a ride at 11pm I can join ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.