mtbr member

First Ride on South Mountain.

Yesterday was like a dream come true for me.
    My wife, baby, dog and I, moved to AZ about 4 Months ago.
    Ever since we first considered moving out here, I've been drooling over all the videos of South Mountain.
    Now I have a few of my own.

National Trail:

Upper Geronimo:

Lower Geronimo

Mormon Trail

Last edited by imsorrywhat; 06-21-2011 at 10:29 AM.

skilldest©
    Nice video!

Eroding into the trail
    +1

mtbr member
    love the vid. what bike are you riding? Looks like you and the bike are one.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Fragile - must be Italian
    Nice video.

I'm surprised it took you 4 months to make it over to SoMo. What part of the city do you live? And where did you move from?

Thx...Doug

"No Clue Crew"
    Love the footage from the helmet! Very cool! Welcome to AZ.................Drew

Pivotal figure
    Lady SoMo does work her magic ...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    Nice riding. Great work on the switchbacks on Geronimo. I'll be waiting for Pt II to see if you made all of them on the lower section, one in particular. Besides just staying upright, switchbacks are my nemisis. I'm getting better at them, though...

Hopefully, you have more time to ride SoMo than I do now that you've popped your cherry. You'll be itching to get back!

mtbr member
    Upper Geronimo vid has been added to first post.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    love the vid. what bike are you riding? Looks like you and the bike are one.
    Thank you, it was only the second ride on my new Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC 50.
    It performed awesome!
    Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi View Post
    Nice video.

I'm surprised it took you 4 months to make it over to SoMo. What part of the city do you live? And where did you move from?

Thx...Doug
    I live in far North Scottsdale/ Carefree, so its over an hour to SoMo.
    I moved from North East San Diego/ Poway, about a mile from Ted Williams/ Meadowbrook Trail if anyone has ever been there.

"No Clue Crew"

Yeah, I really like the look of that bike

parenting for gnarness
    at the risk of a hijack, how do you like your Slayer, esp. on Somo? have you compared it to any other 6inch AM bikes? RM doesn't really demo those around here .

Shred...it's the new drug
    Sick!!!! Glad to see a new Gnar Junkie born!!!

"No Clue Crew"
    Very nice ! Glad you finally made it out to Somo and rocked it big time !

mtbr member
    Lower Geronimo vid added to original post.

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Nice riding. Great work on the switchbacks on Geronimo. I'll be waiting for Pt II to see if you made all of them on the lower section, one in particular. Besides just staying upright, switchbacks are my nemisis. I'm getting better at them, though...

Hopefully, you have more time to ride SoMo than I do now that you've popped your cherry. You'll be itching to get back!
    You'll notice the lower Geronimo vid has a few strategic edits to cover up the switchback failures. I think I made all but 2 or 3.

The lower half of the mountain for me was a lot of late reacting and watching 6 inches in front of the tire. Also involved a lot of fork pogo action. Haha.
    Definately not very smooth riding on my part. I forgot how tiring just descending can be, I'm still sore!

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    at the risk of a hijack, how do you like your Slayer, esp. on Somo? have you compared it to any other 6inch AM bikes? RM doesn't really demo those around here .
    The slayer performed great on SoMo as well as the XC trails up here in Scottsdale.
    Like most All-Mountain bikes: Climbs good (especially with lockout and propedal ON) but descends better.

The frame is designed around a Fox36 Float 160mm fork and I have a Fox32 TALAS 150 so I was a little nervous about not having enough travel for the more aggressive spots. It ended up being just enough for the trails I went on (the sag ring on the fork and shock showed I never bottomed out once).

Also was nervous about the ever so slight head angle change the shorter fork would create but the bike felt very comfortable and steered awesome.

The only non Great aspects of the ride were:
    -I dropped my chain 3 times so a chain guide would be good but not many fit on this frame.
    -this was my first time setting up a rear derailleur and it would ghost shift under heavy loads (very frustrating) hopefully fixed now.

As for bikes to compare it to;
    I had a Sette Flite from pricepoint in size 17 so I never could give it a fair shot as it didn't fit me. But it was BOB-CITY on the flats and uphills.

I know the 2011 slayer is completely re-designed with a tapered head tube and ISCG tabs but is very expensive.
    Jensen has 2-3 in size 18 in stock of my exact frame for half off if anyone wants to have matching bikes!! Haha

If you want to ride up here in Scottsdale on Sunday, your more than welcome to try her out. I need get some hours on the SS29er anyway.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. I can't wait until I can get back to SoMo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm about to relocate to a job in Chandler, and I'm excited about riding on South Mountain! I've only done intermediate/advanced XC/Freeride here in Atlanta. It seems like biking out west is in another league, so I'm a little nervous about the trails. I've got an Iron Horse with 5" travel on both wheels. I hope it's up to the task. I hope I'm up to the task.

I'm even more excited at the prospect of getting a place < 2 miles from the foot of South Mountain. Can any of you other locals suggest Phoenix suburbs (besides Ahwatukee) that are within biking distance (< 3 miles) of great trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Haven't rode south mountain yet. I live 3 miles from the PMP, and have been riding there regularly. How does South Mountain compare?

Pivotal figure
    PMP is much looser than SoMo, lots of broken shale. SoMo has some lose stuff but for the most part the rocks are embedded. PMP has some tech sections but overall SoMo is much more difficult. It has some cool XC stuff as well (Desert Classic) but National is a tough ride.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'd like to give it a shot sometime. Haven't been mountain biking that long, but I'm loving it. Just got clipless pedals that I need to build some confidence on. Took a nasty spill Saturday. Knew it would happen, just didn't know when.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by yzf600 View Post
    I'm even more excited at the prospect of getting a place < 2 miles from the foot of South Mountain. Can any of you other locals suggest Phoenix suburbs (besides Ahwatukee) that are within biking distance (< 3 miles) of great trails?
    Tukee, West Tempe, South/East Phoenix...It's all good!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yzf600 View Post
    I'm about to relocate to a job in Chandler, and I'm excited about riding on South Mountain! I've only done intermediate/advanced XC/Freeride here in Atlanta. It seems like biking out west is in another league, so I'm a little nervous about the trails. I've got an Iron Horse with 5" travel on both wheels. I hope it's up to the task. I hope I'm up to the task.

I live by the Paradise Valley mall in north Phoenix, and the trail head @ Phoenix Mountain Preserve is 3 miles from my doorstep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was thinking of getting one of these frames (can't afford a new one). Have you put the bike on a scale yet?

Thanks
    Andy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_b View Post
    I was thinking of getting one of these frames (can't afford a new one). Have you put the bike on a scale yet?

Thanks
    Andy
    Not yet, will do Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_b View Post

Thanks
    Andy
    Weighed in today at 32.4 lb

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Not bad