Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    249

    First Hiline Ride in Sedona - Pic heavy

    So yesterday, I decided to try the Hiline Trail for the first time. I figured my mountain biking skills were getting better so I figured why not try something over the top.

    The trail was incredible. The views were amazing but that trail definitely brought me back down to reality. It kicked my arse and there were some spots on the trail (mostly the backside) that I would be in awe of anyone mastering that trail. The switchbacks on the backside looks incredibly steep and the switchback climbs on Templeton were very challenging to say the least.

    After a few bumps and bruises, here are the pics and even with the HAB I had to do, I will definitely be back on that trail.

    Edit: Crash report - The tree I mention below in the pic prevented further injury. I do have a pretty nice bruise on my side but I was going around that turn and clipped my pedals on a rock, hit a pretty good size tree root which got my tire sideways and put me into the tree.

    Had a couple times where I went OTB cause of either going too slow over rocks or misjudging how to attack a tree root.

    All in all I learned a lot from that ride and after my 3rd ride using gears, I am far from being a billy goat. In fact, I am pretty bad at climbing.

    First plateau on climb up hiline


    Hiline


    Riding on the edge


    On my way over the edge when the tree saved me.


    Hiline


    More gorgeousness


    Top of Hiline


    More from the top


    Going down


    Oak Creek from Templeton


    Templeton on the way back

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    870
    That trail looks awesome. Where is the trailhead at? Its definitely on my bucket list.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    249
    I parked at the bell rock pass trailhead and then the trail starts across the street. I took Slim Shady trail to Hiline to Baldwin loop to Templeton to Slim Shady.

    There really isn't a marked trail head for Slim Shady. Once you cross the street, I found a trail and took it and after about 75 feet or so, there was a sign for slim shady trail.

    The bell rock pass trailhead is part of the red rock pass so a daily pass is $5 or $10 for 7 straight days of parking. I know there is a yearly pass and I think that was $15 or something.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,806
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    That trail looks awesome. Where is the trailhead at? Its definitely on my bucket list.
    If you park outside the Bike and Bean it's free and it's not far to ride to the start of Highline. Plus you can start or end your ride with some espresso!

    My first ride on Highline......my GF's first ride.

    Great trail. OP - you are right the backside has some challenging sections that we had to walk.

    Looking forward to getting back to Sedona in a few weeks for more desert riding.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  5. #5
    Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Reputation: Dag Nabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,938
    Nice stuff!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

  6. #6
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Cool ride, riding Highline the first time is out of this world.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

    Great trail. OP - you are right the backside has some challenging sections that we had to walk.
    Yeah I ran into a hiker that was coming up counterclockwise on the trail. She asked "Do you want me to move off the side so you can just fire down it?" I replied, "Naw, come on through. It makes it so I don't have to come up with another excuse to tell myself why I am not going to try this"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    My Sedona favorite for sure, trail is legit!

  9. #9
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    My fav ride in Sedona! It is much easier to ride it with someone that knows the lines, then you can watch and will be less intimidated.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    Yeah I ran into a hiker that was coming up counterclockwise on the trail. She asked "Do you want me to move off the side so you can just fire down it?" I replied, "Naw, come on through. It makes it so I don't have to come up with another excuse to tell myself why I am not going to try this"
    HAHA! I do the same thing on though climbs!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    737
    great pics thanks
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    633
    Glad you had a crazy fun ride and learning experience on the HiLine.

    On a bigger picture of the same trail, same places, the local trail lovers are finally understanding in a more collective nature that your ride is not very different from say 75%+ more of the people out there. The trail while being a total mindblower for certain also has its weaknesses. The backside continues to get hammered by the 75%. Call it trail evolution or call it something else, the riders who ride Sedona regularly will do what they will do with action or non-action. Not to sound like TD, but he was largely correct in his wisdom of knowledge.

    I bet when you return to HiLine, you will ride it even better than the first time.! No amount of online chitchat will change that. Thanks for the report.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Glad you had a crazy fun ride and learning experience on the HiLine.

    On a bigger picture of the same trail, same places, the local trail lovers are finally understanding in a more collective nature that your ride is not very different from say 75%+ more of the people out there. The trail while being a total mindblower for certain also has its weaknesses. The backside continues to get hammered by the 75%. Call it trail evolution or call it something else, the riders who ride Sedona regularly will do what they will do with action or non-action. Not to sound like TD, but he was largely correct in his wisdom of knowledge.

    I bet when you return to HiLine, you will ride it even better than the first time.! No amount of online chitchat will change that. Thanks for the report.
    What are you saying Chalkpaw? The 25% no dab crowd are not impacting the backside? It's the 25% that walk the difficult sections? Or, the hammering is from the 50% that don't have the skillz and try to ride it anyway and end up skidding, blowing out the delicate armoring and carefully placed rocks that make it rideable to the few.

    I see it as the eventual progression of black diamond trail that is now officially part of the system and open-season to the masses. With no alternative ride-around it will require constant maintenance. I was surprised at how much more difficult a couple of the moves were this fall compared to last spring.

    I'm trying to remember Traildoc's sage words. Seemed like he was not in favor of the reroutes and preferred the original switchbacks that had mostly eroded to bedrock.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    I rode it the other day and it seemed like it was in great shape. What's going wrong with it?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    633
    Nothing is wrong with the trail. Its just a trail.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Nothing is wrong with the trail. Its just a trail.
    With weaknesses.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    With weaknesses.
    Weaknesses? I think it's bad ass.

    That rock work we did Chalkpaw hasn't moved I'd be willing to bet. Maybe some of the previous rock work was not using large enough rocks? It looked good to me tho.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Weaknesses? I think it's bad ass.

    That rock work we did Chalkpaw hasn't moved I'd be willing to bet. Maybe some of the previous rock work was not using large enough rocks? It looked good to me tho.
    Actually it has. Maybe you were going too fast to notice

    In descending order:
    -The entrance to the slot(notch?) is chewed up but the armoring in the slot was in surprisingly good shape.
    -The two following switchbacks are again in need of work. Not quite blown out and still rideable but the first is sloughing off and the 2nd skidded out.
    -The turn after the short off camber slickrock section is now 12 feet wide from riders not scrubbing their speed
    -the drop-down and 90 degree turn (where you and Chalkpaw did the rock work) is noticeably harder.
    -the off camber slickrock/trail that follows the 90 is severely eroded and much more difficult. Probably the part of the trail that has held up the least.
    -After that, the reroutes are fine. The entrance to the first is a bit skidded out at the top and the right hander entrance to the 2nd (with the wall ride) is a bit more difficult.

    Only my opinions of course and my comparison is with last spring after the backside was brought into system status. I was really just goading Chalkpaw into providing more specifics to his concept of trail evolution. All in good fun and the spirit of discussion.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    the first left handed switch back after the notch is very loose for sure, it's a pretty hard turn. The line right after the 90 we looked at last spring and noticed it would eventually need one heck of a retaining wall and some rock armoring since the inside line over the off camber slick rock is too difficult for most so people were riding/probably mostly walking to the left and blowing the edge out. It's all fixable though and trails like that will be a work in progress for many years and then after will always need some maintenance. I think it's a small price to pay so we have this kind of riding opportunity, if it's not provided then people will go out on there own to have/create that experience.

    I'm more than happy to help the Sedona guys out on some of those projects. I'm sure a few others on here wouldn't mind putting in a day here and there.

    One thing I noticed while working with Chalkpaw last spring on HL was that during a whole day of work I think I counted like 18 riders walking and one group of around 5 actually riding. That group was Andrew Shandro and team Trek.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 11-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    633
    I know what you are up to Rockman. I am just too stupid to write well enough to make sense online. But get out on a ride/hike with me and I can get all trailgeek. Speaking of which, we gotta go ride once this weather passes?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    I know what you are up to Rockman. I am just too stupid to write well enough to make sense online. But get out on a ride/hike with me and I can get all trailgeek. Speaking of which, we gotta go ride once this weather passes?
    K. I've been a lone wolf rider lately. Feeling fat and slow and prefer to wonk about actual riding from my virtual chair. This cutoff low should be in NM by Sunday. If not, there's always Traildoc's go to ride on a rainy day...Christmas Tree Wash.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    the first left handed switch back after the notch is very loose for sure, it's a pretty hard turn. The line right after the 90 we looked at last spring and noticed it would eventually need one heck of a retaining wall and some rock armoring since the inside line over the off camber slick rock is too difficult for most so people were riding/probably mostly walking to the left and blowing the edge out. It's all fixable though and trails like that will be a work in progress for many years and then after will always need some maintenance. I think it's a small price to pay so we have this kind of riding opportunity, if it's not provided then people will go out on there own to have that experience.

    I'm more than happy to help the Sedona guys out on some of those projects. I'm sure a few others on here wouldn't mind putting in a day here and there.

    One thing I noticed while working with Chalkpaw last spring on HL was that during a whole day of work I think I counted like 18 riders walking and one group of around 5 actually riding. That group was Andrew Shandro and team Trek.
    I believe this is the location in question that is in eventual need of a retaining wall. The pics are from 2009 when it was still a secret handshake trail. There is no longer an outside edge and riding up and aggressively attacking the off-camber slickrock (viewer's left) is now the only way to clean this section. IMO.

    I'm just intrigued about Chalkpaw's comment regarding trail evolution. Immense criticism was heaped on certain individuals for sanitizing sections of this trail when rider impact and mother nature eventually bring back the tech and chunkiness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Hiline Ride in Sedona - Pic heavy-hiline1.jpg  

    First Hiline Ride in Sedona - Pic heavy-hiline2.jpg  

    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    Yep, that's the one. It won't be a quick and easy job but it can be done. The top left hander could use some rock work too - big rocks that won't move.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I believe this is the location in question that is in eventual need of a retaining wall. The pics are from 2009 when it was still a secret handshake trail. There is no longer an outside edge and riding up and aggressively attacking the off-camber slickrock (viewer's left) is now the only way to clean this section. IMO.

    I'm just intrigued about Chalkpaw's comment regarding trail evolution. Immense criticism was heaped on certain individuals for sanitizing sections of this trail when rider impact and mother nature eventually bring back the tech and chunkiness.
    Rockman rolls the tuff stuff like a ninja

  25. #25
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    There is no longer an outside edge and riding up and aggressively attacking the off-camber slickrock (viewer's left) is now the only way to clean this section. IMO.
    I have always ridden this section up high on the viewers left, roll down the rock. It used to be super easy, now there is a big rock sticking up right at the landing zone from the rock roll down. Kinda makes it squirrelly now. In one week the switchbacks after the chute got really tore up. Is there slick rock underneath like there was in the old switchbacks?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    861
    If you stay riders right its a pretty easy roll. Use the little ledge rock at the bottom to get the front end out for a smooth transition. There is a fill rock in the landing that is poking up badly, it is known about and hopefully the trail adopter will be fixing it. As for the sharp right hander above, the Chalkpaw line to the left lets you hit the turn faster instead of doing a track stand right off that last ledge rock.
    We have had a ton of inexperienced riders this year that just have had to ride "Highline". No matter that it is way above their skill level. They saw it on the internet, and they WILL take their bikes on it. Many have walked up the backside, the wrong way, because they believe that no one can actually ride down it.
    It's not the trail so much as the people "riding" it. Clear, concise signs need to be posted that tell trial users exactly what they are getting into.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    If you stay riders right its a pretty easy roll. Use the little ledge rock at the bottom to get the front end out for a smooth transition. There is a fill rock in the landing that is poking up badly, it is known about and hopefully the trail adopter will be fixing it. As for the sharp right hander above, the Chalkpaw line to the left lets you hit the turn faster instead of doing a track stand right off that last ledge rock.
    We have had a ton of inexperienced riders this year that just have had to ride "Highline". No matter that it is way above their skill level. They saw it on the internet, and they WILL take their bikes on it. Many have walked up the backside, the wrong way, because they believe that no one can actually ride down it.
    It's not the trail so much as the people "riding" it. Clear, concise signs need to be posted that tell trial users exactly what they are getting into.
    Chalkpaw line? And yeah if you stay right it is easy but too intimidating for most so a built up wall on the left and a rollable rocked work line left of the roll would help fight the erosion. The hard left hander near the top was one I thought could use some armoring, it's loose and tight so the heavy breaking is constantly dragging soil out of it. I'm actually fine with how it is, I love how it rides but looking at it as a trail builder is a different story.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    -The turn after the short off camber slickrock section is now 12 feet wide from riders not scrubbing their speed
    -the off camber slickrock/trail that follows the 90 is severely eroded and much more difficult. Probably the part of the trail that has held up the least.
    I think that turn after the off camber slickrock is wide because of the different ways that people ride it. If you stay high on the slickrock the turn is more subtle, but if you don't know that line (even though there's 2 colors of paint on the rock) and you just see the exit and stay low the chances of blowing the corner is greater IMO.

    The little rock roller just past chalkpaw's 90* I think is getting blown out by people going up the trail more than going down it.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,806
    As a Canadian from BC who visits Sedona once or twice a year to ride I just want to say thanks to everyone who has a hand in building, maintaining and keeping these trails open. It's appreciated. We do our best not to damage the trails and we are extra nice to any other trails users to keep the peace.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    633
    Yeah! I have my own line...
    I would like the chance to fix it, cause it needs some help/love/care/maintenance. I promise not to dumb down the line. Can I carry a broom?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,731
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I believe this is the location in question that is in eventual need of a retaining wall.
    Due to inevitable errosion, there's now a nasty "front wheel catcher" on the back side of a middle line over the roller. Nasty.
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Yeah! I have my own line...
    I would like the chance to fix it, cause it needs some help/love/care/maintenance. I promise not to dumb down the line. Can I carry a broom?
    Scott's not talking about the turn we had worked on?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Scott's not talking about the turn we had worked on?
    Yes. The funny thing is, this is the move that Traildoc caught so much flak for making more rideable when it was Chalkpaw that dun it. Ask Woahey.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  34. #34
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    Due to inevitable errosion, there's now a nasty "front wheel catcher" on the back side of a middle line over the roller. Nasty.
    That's the one! It wasn't there in the springtime.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yes. The funny thing is, this is the move that Traildoc caught so much flak for making more rideable when it was Chalkpaw that dun it. Ask Woahey.
    Oh yeah, I remember this story. So we double dumbed it down then? HA! Maybe some people should just try to ride faster!

    I have a new theory that the people that are actually dumbing down the riding are the ones that go real slow and fight any changes claiming that it
    will be sanitized and dumbed down, they become counter productive when more experienced riders try to make the trail actually have a little more flow and good for carrying a bit more speed through the rough sections.

    The conclusions I have discovered through extensive tests to back my hypothesis is that the ones holding back the progression are the very ones often crying over improvements. Not always but often, at an astonishing percentage of 72.43%

    Science.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    [QUOTE=woahey;10829428]I think that turn after the off camber slickrock is wide because of the different ways that people ride it. If you stay high on the slickrock the turn is more subtle, but if you don't know that line (even though there's 2 colors of paint on the rock) and you just see the exit and stay low the chances of blowing the corner is greater IMO.

    I think that's a fine place for a wide line, it's all rock. I have watched riders come through there, most are taking the low line even tho the hi line squares you off much better for the next right hander. I doubt there is any way to change that. 95% of people out riding just won't see it but luckily it's all rock so no harm really.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Scott's not talking about the turn we had worked on?
    The sharp right hander. I didn't hear of anyone cryng about dumbing that down when the flowier (is that a word?) line was put in. Most people still don't know the wider line is there. I heard about him dumbing it down when more rocks were added to the steps on the right though.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember this story. So we double dumbed it down then? HA! Maybe some people should just try to ride faster!

    I have a new theory that the people that are actually dumbing down the riding are the ones that go real slow and fight any changes claiming that it
    will be sanitized and dumbed down, they become counter productive when more experienced riders try to make the trail actually have a little more flow and good for carrying a bit more speed through the rough sections.

    The conclusions I have discovered through extensive tests to back my hypothesis is that the ones holding back the progression are the very ones often crying over improvements. Not always but often, at an astonishing percentage of 72.43%

    Science.
    I have a new theory too. Mountain Bikers make better hikers. Not from science, but from the practice of finding flow. So that would be philosophy.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    The sharp right hander. I didn't hear of anyone cryng about dumbing that down when the flowier (is that a word?) line was put in. Most people still don't know the wider line is there. I heard about him dumbing it down when more rocks were added to the steps on the right though.
    I was referring to the first time the right-hander was "improved". Circa late 2009 or 2010. It certainly made it easier to make the turn. There's an enthusiastic discussion of the improvement in this thread. TD Requested Sedona Trail Report

    What was funny to me was that the improvement was never TD's. The routing of the backside can be attributed to him but he was not the person that did the work on the 90 degree turn. He was just egging on woahey.

    It was a glorious time for the AZ forum when TD was at his trolling finest and there were many eager posters jumping on his hook. Most don't come around anymore but some of the discussions with folks like The Prodigal Son, Randyboy, TheMostRad, and the many aliases of Acrophobe were classic. Stairsteps versus ramps, learning what a Spode was, Koi Ponds, pics of Gmooker's hot girlfriend, etc. Good way to kill a rainy day.

    Looking for Trail Improvement Opportunities
    Riding the NEW Little Horse Trail Improvement
    The Sedona Munds Trail IMPROVEMENT is DONE
    Trail Improvement OR Trail Destruction??????????


    Also of note, in as little as two years how the riding experience in Sedona has changed. With trail adoptions and system status come changes, more riders, more hikers, more impact, and white dots. For those paying attention, I'm coming back to Chalkpaw's previous comment about trail evolution.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I was referring to the first time the right-hander was "improved". Circa late 2009 or 2010. It certainly made it easier to make the turn. There's an enthusiastic discussion of the improvement in this thread. TD Requested Sedona Trail Report

    What was funny to me was that the improvement was never TD's. The routing of the backside can be attributed to him but he was not the person that did the work on the 90 degree turn. He was just egging on woahey.

    It was a glorious time for the AZ forum when TD was at his trolling finest and there were many eager posters jumping on his hook. Most don't come around anymore but some of the discussions with folks like The Prodigal Son, Randyboy, TheMostRad, and the many aliases of Acrophobe were classic. Stairsteps versus ramps, learning what a Spode was, Koi Ponds, pics of Gmooker's hot girlfriend, etc. Good way to kill a rainy day.

    Looking for Trail Improvement Opportunities
    Riding the NEW Little Horse Trail Improvement
    The Sedona Munds Trail IMPROVEMENT is DONE
    Trail Improvement OR Trail Destruction??????????


    Also of note, in as little as two years how the riding experience in Sedona has changed. With trail adoptions and system status come changes, more riders, more hikers, more impact, and white dots. For those paying attention, I'm coming back to Chalkpaw's previous comment about trail evolution.
    So you coming down to ride when the rain stops? Gonna be some good dirt to ride.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    He was just egging on woahey.
    Wow. You dug up a relic there. It's good to see I'm not the only one bored and waiting for the rain to stop.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Wow. You dug up a relic there. It's good to see I'm not the only one bored and waiting for the rain to stop.
    Yeah sorry about that. Day 3 of rain with more on the way. I think I'm suffering from seasonal affective disorder.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    I have always ridden this section up high on the viewers left, roll down the rock. It used to be super easy, now there is a big rock sticking up right at the landing zone from the rock roll down. Kinda makes it squirrelly now. In one week the switchbacks after the chute got really tore up. Is there slick rock underneath like there was in the old switchbacks?
    Aye, I thought viewers left was THE line. You COULD make the cut back if you rode the right side (I've tried and done it, barely, before) but it was ****ing sketchier even given the weird rock spike placement on the roll/drop in line now.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    531
    [QUOTE=raisingarizona;10829821]
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I think that turn after the off camber slickrock is wide because of the different ways that people ride it. If you stay high on the slickrock the turn is more subtle, but if you don't know that line (even though there's 2 colors of paint on the rock) and you just see the exit and stay low the chances of blowing the corner is greater IMO.

    I think that's a fine place for a wide line, it's all rock. I have watched riders come through there, most are taking the low line even tho the hi line squares you off much better for the next right hander. I doubt there is any way to change that. 95% of people out riding just won't see it but luckily it's all rock so no harm really.
    I would be surprised that anyone who just defaults into the low line could actually make the turn afterward. I'm a high line rider myself as, for me, it definitely sets me up better for the turn.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    I would be surprised that anyone who just defaults into the low line could actually make the turn afterward. I'm a high line rider myself as, for me, it definitely sets me up better for the turn.
    I think RA is right...95% of people wont see it. I know I didn't for a long time 'til I followed somebody down it. Like you said, it sets you up for the turn so much better.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    Due to inevitable errosion, there's now a nasty "front wheel catcher" on the back side of a middle line over the roller. Nasty.
    Try to ride further riders right, it's more off camber and you can use that large nub as a bit of transition for getting back onto the dirt.

    I haven't noticed any wheel catchers using that line.

    It's basically a straight line over all of the off camber just riders right of rm's line.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    531
    Also this hiline talk has given me the itch, anyone know if it will be rideable tomorrow afternoon? If not I'll hit up South Mountain =/

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,289
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    Also this hiline talk has given me the itch, anyone know if it will be rideable tomorrow afternoon? If not I'll hit up South Mountain =/
    There's more rain in the forecast for tomorrow...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    531
    Crap. South Mountain it is.

Similar Threads

  1. Heavy duty fork for heavy and aggressive riders?
    By Aerangis in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
  3. Icecream ride pic heavy
    By t0pcat in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-18-2012, 06:00 PM
  4. I got a good ride in today...(Pic Heavy)
    By In-Yo-Grill in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-09-2012, 08:35 PM
  5. January Ride in the Blue Ridge, (pic heavy)
    By CraigCreekRider in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •