Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

First Hiline Ride in Sedona - Pic heavy

So yesterday, I decided to try the Hiline Trail for the first time. I figured my mountain biking skills were getting better so I figured why not try something over the top.

The trail was incredible. The views were amazing but that trail definitely brought me back down to reality. It kicked my arse and there were some spots on the trail (mostly the backside) that I would be in awe of anyone mastering that trail. The switchbacks on the backside looks incredibly steep and the switchback climbs on Templeton were very challenging to say the least.

After a few bumps and bruises, here are the pics and even with the HAB I had to do, I will definitely be back on that trail.

Edit: Crash report - The tree I mention below in the pic prevented further injury. I do have a pretty nice bruise on my side but I was going around that turn and clipped my pedals on a rock, hit a pretty good size tree root which got my tire sideways and put me into the tree.

Had a couple times where I went OTB cause of either going too slow over rocks or misjudging how to attack a tree root.

All in all I learned a lot from that ride and after my 3rd ride using gears, I am far from being a billy goat. In fact, I am pretty bad at climbing.

First plateau on climb up hiline

Hiline

Riding on the edge

On my way over the edge when the tree saved me.

Hiline

More gorgeousness

Top of Hiline

More from the top

Going down

Oak Creek from Templeton

Templeton on the way back

mtbr member
    That trail looks awesome. Where is the trailhead at? Its definitely on my bucket list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I parked at the bell rock pass trailhead and then the trail starts across the street. I took Slim Shady trail to Hiline to Baldwin loop to Templeton to Slim Shady.

There really isn't a marked trail head for Slim Shady. Once you cross the street, I found a trail and took it and after about 75 feet or so, there was a sign for slim shady trail.

The bell rock pass trailhead is part of the red rock pass so a daily pass is $5 or $10 for 7 straight days of parking. I know there is a yearly pass and I think that was $15 or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    That trail looks awesome. Where is the trailhead at? Its definitely on my bucket list.
    If you park outside the Bike and Bean it's free and it's not far to ride to the start of Highline. Plus you can start or end your ride with some espresso!

My first ride on Highline......my GF's first ride.

Great trail. OP - you are right the backside has some challenging sections that we had to walk.

Looking forward to getting back to Sedona in a few weeks for more desert riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Nice stuff!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Give it a crank
    Cool ride, riding Highline the first time is out of this world.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Great trail. OP - you are right the backside has some challenging sections that we had to walk.
    Yeah I ran into a hiker that was coming up counterclockwise on the trail. She asked "Do you want me to move off the side so you can just fire down it?" I replied, "Naw, come on through. It makes it so I don't have to come up with another excuse to tell myself why I am not going to try this"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My Sedona favorite for sure, trail is legit!

Huffy Rider
    My fav ride in Sedona! It is much easier to ride it with someone that knows the lines, then you can watch and will be less intimidated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    Yeah I ran into a hiker that was coming up counterclockwise on the trail. She asked "Do you want me to move off the side so you can just fire down it?" I replied, "Naw, come on through. It makes it so I don't have to come up with another excuse to tell myself why I am not going to try this"
    HAHA! I do the same thing on though climbs!

mtbr member
    great pics thanks
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Glad you had a crazy fun ride and learning experience on the HiLine.

On a bigger picture of the same trail, same places, the local trail lovers are finally understanding in a more collective nature that your ride is not very different from say 75%+ more of the people out there. The trail while being a total mindblower for certain also has its weaknesses. The backside continues to get hammered by the 75%. Call it trail evolution or call it something else, the riders who ride Sedona regularly will do what they will do with action or non-action. Not to sound like TD, but he was largely correct in his wisdom of knowledge.

I bet when you return to HiLine, you will ride it even better than the first time.! No amount of online chitchat will change that. Thanks for the report.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Glad you had a crazy fun ride and learning experience on the HiLine.

On a bigger picture of the same trail, same places, the local trail lovers are finally understanding in a more collective nature that your ride is not very different from say 75%+ more of the people out there. The trail while being a total mindblower for certain also has its weaknesses. The backside continues to get hammered by the 75%. Call it trail evolution or call it something else, the riders who ride Sedona regularly will do what they will do with action or non-action. Not to sound like TD, but he was largely correct in his wisdom of knowledge.

I bet when you return to HiLine, you will ride it even better than the first time.! No amount of online chitchat will change that. Thanks for the report.
    What are you saying Chalkpaw? The 25% no dab crowd are not impacting the backside? It's the 25% that walk the difficult sections? Or, the hammering is from the 50% that don't have the skillz and try to ride it anyway and end up skidding, blowing out the delicate armoring and carefully placed rocks that make it rideable to the few.

I see it as the eventual progression of black diamond trail that is now officially part of the system and open-season to the masses. With no alternative ride-around it will require constant maintenance. I was surprised at how much more difficult a couple of the moves were this fall compared to last spring.

I'm trying to remember Traildoc's sage words. Seemed like he was not in favor of the reroutes and preferred the original switchbacks that had mostly eroded to bedrock.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I rode it the other day and it seemed like it was in great shape. What's going wrong with it?

mtbr member
    Nothing is wrong with the trail. Its just a trail.

mtbr member
    Nothing is wrong with the trail. Its just a trail.
    With weaknesses.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    With weaknesses.
    Weaknesses? I think it's bad ass.

That rock work we did Chalkpaw hasn't moved I'd be willing to bet. Maybe some of the previous rock work was not using large enough rocks? It looked good to me tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Weaknesses? I think it's bad ass.

That rock work we did Chalkpaw hasn't moved I'd be willing to bet. Maybe some of the previous rock work was not using large enough rocks? It looked good to me tho.
    Actually it has. Maybe you were going too fast to notice

In descending order:
    -The entrance to the slot(notch?) is chewed up but the armoring in the slot was in surprisingly good shape.
    -The two following switchbacks are again in need of work. Not quite blown out and still rideable but the first is sloughing off and the 2nd skidded out.
    -The turn after the short off camber slickrock section is now 12 feet wide from riders not scrubbing their speed
    -the drop-down and 90 degree turn (where you and Chalkpaw did the rock work) is noticeably harder.
    -the off camber slickrock/trail that follows the 90 is severely eroded and much more difficult. Probably the part of the trail that has held up the least.
    -After that, the reroutes are fine. The entrance to the first is a bit skidded out at the top and the right hander entrance to the 2nd (with the wall ride) is a bit more difficult.

Only my opinions of course and my comparison is with last spring after the backside was brought into system status. I was really just goading Chalkpaw into providing more specifics to his concept of trail evolution. All in good fun and the spirit of discussion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    the first left handed switch back after the notch is very loose for sure, it's a pretty hard turn. The line right after the 90 we looked at last spring and noticed it would eventually need one heck of a retaining wall and some rock armoring since the inside line over the off camber slick rock is too difficult for most so people were riding/probably mostly walking to the left and blowing the edge out. It's all fixable though and trails like that will be a work in progress for many years and then after will always need some maintenance. I think it's a small price to pay so we have this kind of riding opportunity, if it's not provided then people will go out on there own to have/create that experience.

I'm more than happy to help the Sedona guys out on some of those projects. I'm sure a few others on here wouldn't mind putting in a day here and there.

One thing I noticed while working with Chalkpaw last spring on HL was that during a whole day of work I think I counted like 18 riders walking and one group of around 5 actually riding. That group was Andrew Shandro and team Trek.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 11-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I know what you are up to Rockman. I am just too stupid to write well enough to make sense online. But get out on a ride/hike with me and I can get all trailgeek. Speaking of which, we gotta go ride once this weather passes?

mtbr member
    I know what you are up to Rockman. I am just too stupid to write well enough to make sense online. But get out on a ride/hike with me and I can get all trailgeek. Speaking of which, we gotta go ride once this weather passes?
    K. I've been a lone wolf rider lately. Feeling fat and slow and prefer to wonk about actual riding from my virtual chair. This cutoff low should be in NM by Sunday. If not, there's always Traildoc's go to ride on a rainy day...Christmas Tree Wash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    the first left handed switch back after the notch is very loose for sure, it's a pretty hard turn. The line right after the 90 we looked at last spring and noticed it would eventually need one heck of a retaining wall and some rock armoring since the inside line over the off camber slick rock is too difficult for most so people were riding/probably mostly walking to the left and blowing the edge out. It's all fixable though and trails like that will be a work in progress for many years and then after will always need some maintenance. I think it's a small price to pay so we have this kind of riding opportunity, if it's not provided then people will go out on there own to have that experience.

I'm more than happy to help the Sedona guys out on some of those projects. I'm sure a few others on here wouldn't mind putting in a day here and there.

One thing I noticed while working with Chalkpaw last spring on HL was that during a whole day of work I think I counted like 18 riders walking and one group of around 5 actually riding. That group was Andrew Shandro and team Trek.
    I believe this is the location in question that is in eventual need of a retaining wall. The pics are from 2009 when it was still a secret handshake trail. There is no longer an outside edge and riding up and aggressively attacking the off-camber slickrock (viewer's left) is now the only way to clean this section. IMO.

I'm just intrigued about Chalkpaw's comment regarding trail evolution. Immense criticism was heaped on certain individuals for sanitizing sections of this trail when rider impact and mother nature eventually bring back the tech and chunkiness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Hiline Ride in Sedona - Pic heavy-hiline1.jpg  

First Hiline Ride in Sedona - Pic heavy-hiline2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yep, that's the one. It won't be a quick and easy job but it can be done. The top left hander could use some rock work too - big rocks that won't move.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I believe this is the location in question that is in eventual need of a retaining wall. The pics are from 2009 when it was still a secret handshake trail. There is no longer an outside edge and riding up and aggressively attacking the off-camber slickrock (viewer's left) is now the only way to clean this section. IMO.

I'm just intrigued about Chalkpaw's comment regarding trail evolution. Immense criticism was heaped on certain individuals for sanitizing sections of this trail when rider impact and mother nature eventually bring back the tech and chunkiness.
    Rockman rolls the tuff stuff like a ninja

Huffy Rider
    There is no longer an outside edge and riding up and aggressively attacking the off-camber slickrock (viewer's left) is now the only way to clean this section. IMO.
    I have always ridden this section up high on the viewers left, roll down the rock. It used to be super easy, now there is a big rock sticking up right at the landing zone from the rock roll down. Kinda makes it squirrelly now. In one week the switchbacks after the chute got really tore up. Is there slick rock underneath like there was in the old switchbacks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast