Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Fire in Yarnell

  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033

    Fire in Yarnell

    Prayers go out to the families in Yarnell, who have lost property, and additional prayers to the family and friends of the Granite Mountain Hot Shots who lost their lives today.

    A truly sad day !

    BREAKING NEWS: 18 Prescott firefighters die in blaze - The Prescott Daily Courier - Prescott, Arizona

  2. #2
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,572
    holy ****,, what went wrong? are they releasing that info?

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Thus far it seems they got separated, lost radio contact with their command center, became surrounded by the fire, were seen by a helicopter, but others were unable to reach them.

    This from CBS 5
    Updates every 10-15 minutes ... Fire is currently at +2000 acres, and 250 homes lost.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    734
    Half of my cousins crew. Hes heading down with the rest from Prescott now. My mom lives in Yarnell on the east side of the road. Theyve been given mandatory evac notices and are waiting/packing. Her old house was in the southwest section of town and most of that area is said to be gone. Its moving west and north. Might be little to nothing left of the town when all is said and done. Blue Ridge hotshots were the ones that went in to find the Granite boys.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    holy ****,, what went wrong? are they releasing that info?
    From what Ive gathered, they were in the southwest area which is a bowl shaped depression. got cut off, hunkered down and then got overrun.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cstem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,835
    I saw this on the news and it is soooo terrible. I really look up to those that work the forest fires (other FF too, but these folks more) because I see them as not only saving homes, but trail and ride areas. I tell ya what, I am not looking forward to working at Yavapai Medical tomorrow.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

  7. #7
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,365
    wow my thoughts are with the family's truly a tragic event
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,285
    This is terrible. Almost unbelievable. Just a reminder of those out there trying to fight our wildfires....real people.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,007
    These people were way too young. I don't know what to say, it's just very sad.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,283
    Arizona lost 19 of it's finest yesterday.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  11. #11
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,682

    Fire in Yarnell

    CNN weatherman reported that monsoon-like conditions sprung up above Yarnell. The rains began to fall in the atmosphere causing the winds to accelerate downward and outward. 50-70 MPH winds overwhelmed the Hotshot crew.

    RIP guys. God Bless.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobZona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    620
    happened to be out with wife looking at the Doce fire origin area, Skull Valley loop and back on White Spar Rd. We could tell from a distance that Yarnell was probably in the path. Air support traffic was very busy flying over our house and we could sense something was going bad.....fire, microburst winds, and 19 fine young local brave men, fathers, and sons were lost. Prescott area is in shock and it will be a very sad week around here this week and beyond.

  13. #13
    Dog-food-eating-chicken
    Reputation: nlytendone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27
    Terrible turn of events, and a very sad day. Rest in peace.


    I'm sure some know of this already, but the Wildland Firefighter Foundation is dedicated to helping the families of fallen firefighters.

    Wildland Firefighter Foundation - HOME

    It's a good cause.
    My legs hurt.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    This is a terrible tragedy.

    Fires will continue to happen and firefighter lives will always be at risk. The best we can do is minimize that risk the best we can. Obey fire restrictions and tell other to do so as well. This is serious stuff - lives, homes and acres of beautiful forest can be lost.

    I have seen people breaking the law in the past, and to be honest I didn't say anything in the past. Even something like a discharging a weapon can start a fire and is forbidden at certain times. The risk for fire is extremely high right now.

    Anyone starting a fire or throwing a cigarette bud in a fire restricted area should be officially slapped.
    Last edited by metalaficionado; 07-02-2013 at 12:34 PM.

  15. #15
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,641

    Fire in Yarnell

    Such terrible news. Like many people who live in the west, I know plenty of wildland fire fighters. And I live near Mann Gulch. I'm definitely thinking of the people in Prescott and Yarnell today.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  16. #16
    Huffy Rider
    Reputation: motochick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    If you would like to help and don't know how to, please take a look at the Arizona 100 Club. Click the "home" link below.

    Home

    RIP

  17. #17
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Anyone starting a fire or throwing a cigarette bud in a fire restricted area should be officially slapped.
    It was a lightning strike.

    Sad day indeed. I spent all of yesterday glued to 92.3 hoping to learn more but there's not much info yet. These guys are the best of the best and if they got caught likely any crew in the the same situation would've been lost as well. So you know it was bad.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17

    Seriously???!

    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Anyone starting a fire or throwing a cigarette bud in a fire restricted area should be officially slapped.
    Slapped really is that kind of childish idiot comment going to bring back 19 dead men your a real F%N idiot

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by missionbryan14 View Post
    Slapped really is that kind of childish idiot comment going to bring back 19 dead men your a real F%N idiot


    Classy.

    Nothing will bring those firemen back. The only reasonable way for me to honor their deaths is by enforcing rules set forth by fire department and forest service to reduce forest fires and and thus possibly save FUTURE lives.
    Ignoring fire restrictions is especially egregious now in the light of these recent deaths. Even if it was lightening that started that fire.

  20. #20
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    603
    brutally rough time for the towns of prescott, pv & chino as well as the wildland fire community here in az and across the west. as an alumni of the mormon lake hotshots (who lost 3 in '76 on the battlement creek fire on the western slope) it is both gut-wrenching and bewildering that this happened... really hard to accept.

    several dads (3 with expecting wives, i believe), husbands and 19 sons. the company i now work for is out of chino and seemingly everyone in the town has close ties to at least a few of these guys. one of our superintendents coached one of the guys in football and baseball since he was old enough to play sports... just absolutely gut-wrenching.

    couple of things...

    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Thus far it seems they got separated, lost radio contact with their command center, became surrounded by the fire, were seen by a helicopter, but others were unable to reach them.

    This from CBS 5
    Updates every 10-15 minutes ... Fire is currently at +2000 acres, and 250 homes lost.
    be very dubious, at best, of reports from mass media on the specifics of this incident. the forthcoming investigation will hammer out what went wrong but no one on that incident management team or investigation team is going to tell a CBS reporter any specifics until the investigation is done (they should be tight lipped anyhow). the facts will all eventually get out there but specifics right now will be via the rumor mill.

    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    These guys are the best of the best and if they got caught likely any crew in the the same situation would've been lost as well. So you know it was bad.
    this isnt the time nor the place to discuss in-depth, as the facts wont be out for awhile, but this is 100% untrue. ill be brief... the mistakes made will be poured over for years (decades) but the unfortunate facts are that major mistakes were made and compounded brutally by the weather. it is terribly wrong to assume that any crew in that situation would have made similar mistakes. this is why i mentioned that it is really, really hard to accept... doesnt make sense.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17

    So you know how to handle this??

    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Classy.

    Nothing will bring those firemen back. The only reasonable way for me to honor their deaths is by enforcing rules set forth by fire department and forest service to reduce forest fires and and thus possibly save FUTURE lives.
    Ignoring fire restrictions is especially egregious now in the light of these recent deaths. Even if it was lightening that started that fire.
    So if you are a serious friend of the forest and you want to enforce the laws why do you make comments like lets slap cigarrette throwers when slapping isnt a real punishment it isnt in any law books ANYWHERE and OH by the way I hear it was a lightning fire to begin with soo hmmmmm ME thinks your emotions be FALSE SIR

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by missionbryan14 View Post
    So if you are a serious friend of the forest and you want to enforce the laws why do you make comments like lets slap cigarrette throwers when slapping isnt a real punishment it isnt in any law books ANYWHERE and OH by the way I hear it was a lightning fire to begin with soo hmmmmm ME thinks your emotions be FALSE SIR
    I think you missed the point. I have no control over lightning. All I and we can do now is to try to prevent forest fires by means we control.

    I think you took the "slapping" way too literal. It was meant to by symbolic... like slapped with a fine.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,283
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    brutally rough time for the towns of prescott, pv & chino as well as the wildland fire community here in az and across the west. as an alumni of the mormon lake hotshots (who lost 3 in '76 on the battlement creek fire on the western slope) it is both gut-wrenching and bewildering that this happened... really hard to accept.

    several dads (3 with expecting wives, i believe), husbands and 19 sons. the company i now work for is out of chino and seemingly everyone in the town has close ties to at least a few of these guys. one of our superintendents coached one of the guys in football and baseball since he was old enough to play sports... just absolutely gut-wrenching.

    couple of things...



    be very dubious, at best, of reports from mass media on the specifics of this incident. the forthcoming investigation will hammer out what went wrong but no one on that incident management team or investigation team is going to tell a CBS reporter any specifics until the investigation is done (they should be tight lipped anyhow). the facts will all eventually get out there but specifics right now will be via the rumor mill.



    this isnt the time nor the place to discuss in-depth, as the facts wont be out for awhile, but this is 100% untrue. ill be brief... the mistakes made will be poured over for years (decades) but the unfortunate facts are that major mistakes were made and compounded brutally by the weather. it is terribly wrong to assume that any crew in that situation would have made similar mistakes. this is why i mentioned that it is really, really hard to accept... doesnt make sense.
    Nice post. Human element aside, some interesting thoughts on the role the weather played here. Wasatch Weather Weenies: Weather and the Yarnell Hill Fire
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Nice post. Human element aside, some interesting thoughts on the role the weather played here. Wasatch Weather Weenies: Weather and the Yarnell Hill Fire
    Interesting insight into the weather changes at the time. Thanks for sharing

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17

    Slapped with a fine omg

    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I think you missed the point. I have no control over lightning. All I and we can do now is to try to prevent forest fires by means we control.

    I think you took the "slapping" way too literal. It was meant to by symbolic... like slapped with a fine.
    So now you are using reasons that are not relevant to THIS fire at all and you are making way to light of the fact that 19 people died and even if it WAS a match fire I dont think a fine would be appropriate for 19 dead why dont u just say this is very tragic and sad we will mourn and miss them I pray for the families involved and God Bless them or good luck if u aint religious. Just stop making the situation smaller than it really is these are humans not plants.
    in Yeshuah Messiah
    Bryan

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,283
    Quote Originally Posted by missionbryan14 View Post
    So now you are using reasons that are not relevant to THIS fire at all and you are making way to light of the fact that 19 people died and even if it WAS a match fire I dont think a fine would be appropriate for 19 dead why dont u just say this is very tragic and sad we will mourn and miss them I pray for the families involved and God Bless them or good luck if u aint religious. Just stop making the situation smaller than it really is these are humans not plants.
    in Yeshuah Messiah
    Bryan
    Geez, why don't you just drop it and move on.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: metalaficionado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by missionbryan14 View Post
    So now you are using reasons that are not relevant to THIS fire at all and you are making way to light of the fact that 19 people died and even if it WAS a match fire I dont think a fine would be appropriate for 19 dead why dont u just say this is very tragic and sad we will mourn and miss them I pray for the families involved and God Bless them or good luck if u aint religious. Just stop making the situation smaller than it really is these are humans not plants.
    in Yeshuah Messiah
    Bryan
    I pray that God will help you understand that each man deals with tragedy in their own way. Who are you to judge me and worse trying to instill your ideals on me or anyone else in this forum. I am dealing with this tragic event by thinking of ways to at least in a small way prevent one in the future. I cannot fathom why one would be bothered by this or even worse offended by it. This thread was supposed to be a tribute. Show some respect and stop demeaning this thread by posting your vitriol and tantrums.

  28. #28
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    this isnt the time nor the place to discuss in-depth, as the facts wont be out for awhile, but this is 100% untrue. ill be brief... the mistakes made will be poured over for years (decades) but the unfortunate facts are that major mistakes were made and compounded brutally by the weather. it is terribly wrong to assume that any crew in that situation would have made similar mistakes. this is why i mentioned that it is really, really hard to accept... doesnt make sense.
    Well, as you said, the facts aren't out so to assume that "major mistakes" were made is a disservice to these guys...

  29. #29
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23,664
    Quote Originally Posted by missionbryan14 View Post
    Slapped really is that kind of childish idiot comment going to bring back 19 dead men your a real F%N idiot
    Well, that's why you don't get to make those kinds of decisions.

    There's a difference between going out and intending to hurt or kill someone, or not intending to do it. The outcome could be the same, but we are not monsters in how we judge people and we allow them leniency if their intent was not sinister.

    That doesn't make throwing a butt out of a car good, but it also doesn't mean that someone who is doing it is intentionally trying to kill people and should be sent to the electric chair. To that extent, there's little difference between the one guy who starts a big fire and the thousands (or more) that do not.

    Now if we had evidence someone was intentionally trying to start fires, then you have grounds for murder.

    This response to your post is not about making it "smaller than it is", the event in question is huge. It's also an unfortunate reality of the job and we can't thank them enough for performing that job. On the other hand, there is a huge difference between intentional and non-intentional acts. If we acted on non-intentional acts we'd have to lock up pretty much everyone, you included.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  30. #30
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    On the other hand, there is a huge difference between intentional and non-intentional acts. If we acted on non-intentional acts we'd have to lock up pretty much everyone, you included.
    Unfortunately, I see it just just like firearms. Anyone that discharges a firearm knows that a bullet is coming out with the capability of harming someone. Everyone that throws a cigarette butt on the ground knows that they are tossing a piece of fire on the ground. If they throw it somewhere that catches fire it's intentional to me.

    But, this argument doesn't even belong here 'cause it was mother nature that started it. Not some lazy, slob smoker.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Air Bud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    102
    Guys, with all due respect can we at least give these men what they deserve by honoring their service and setting aside disagreements. Granite mountain hotshots were some of the finest, hard working guys I have ever met. I knew several of them on a personal level. I have worked with them on fires and they were skilled, trained, and proficient in what they did. They were upstanding men, husbands, and dads. They meant so much to not only their friends and families, but to the city of Prescott and national fire community as well. We love and miss you guys, may you rest in peace, you will never be forgotten.

  32. #32
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    603
    good post air bud... i will again try to be more clear:

    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Well, as you said, the facts aren't out so to assume that "major mistakes" were made is a disservice to these guys...
    that was an epic contradiction on my part... apologize for that. not trying to be a know-it-all but i have information that isnt common knowledge yet and some things ive seen in the media are somewhat inaccurate. one of my friends was one of the first responders to granite mtn's location after the burn over... for instance. he is having a very rough go of things since, as you can imagine.

    i was trying to respond to your statement along the lines of that the same results wouldve played out for any crew in the same situation. again, that is completely false... not trying to be an ass but i feel obligated to point that out on a public forum. having been in those situations before and being the one that pulled the plug more than once i can assure you that is not the case.

    there is one common denominator with fatality fires and that is unfortunately human error. from what i understand from other crews that were on the same division (specifically, blue ridge) as well as single resource types in management positions on both teams, was that the common denominator was again in play.

    just want to make clear the reason i point this out is that the details of the whole situation just make it that much more difficult to deal with and accept... as a former wildland firefighter. a lot of kids (i feel safe saying that and im only 39) on that crew with so much life to go. it just simply should not happen... ever.

Similar Threads

  1. Fire UCSC and Fire at the Gap
    By Buzz Cut in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM
  2. Fire On The Rim Vid
    By 90minIPA in forum Arizona
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 08:38 PM
  4. Fire
    By schnauzers in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 07:59 AM
  5. Fire... again
    By Calhoun in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •