RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Fire on the Rim Roll Call?

I know a roll call is a little redundant because the registration website has a list of all registered participants, but--in the hope that this generates some more interest in the race--who is in for the Fire on the Rim race this Saturday?

As a reminder to all of us lollygaggers, registration closes tomorrow, so talk yourself and your friends into doing the race. It is a great cause and a great race.

As for me, I am in for two laps. My wife is in for one.
    Last edited by RNC; 09-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in for the 15 miler-Men's Open. I have a buddy going with me who's doing 15 also.

This is my 1st race. I almost wish they had a newbie category but I'll have fun anyway.
    Last edited by jasmap; 09-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    I know a roll call is a little redundant because the registration website has a list of all registered participants, but--in the hope that this generates some more interest in the race--who is in for the Fire on the Rim race this Saturday?

As a reminder to all of us lollygaggers, registration closes tomorrow, so talk yourself and your friends into doing the race. It is a great cause and a great race.

As for me, I am in for two laps.
    In

SS 45 Mile

Will be heading up around 3 on Friday, and camping out at the venue.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Not riding but my 8yo daughter and myself are going to be volunteers as a flaggers. We will be camping at the venue.

mtbr member
    I moved to the Phoenix area 2 weeks ago from N. TX and considering this race. Probably 2 laps.

Any thoughts on SS Rigid vs. Men's Open on a Full Squish?

As a reference, the trails I rode N. TX, are mostly fast XC with some tech, climbs and lots roots and sand.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    I moved to the Phoenix area 2 weeks ago from N. TX and considering this race. Probably 2 laps.

Any thoughts on SS Rigid vs. Men's Open on a Full Squish?

As a reference, the trails I rode N. TX, are mostly fast XC with some tech, climbs and lots roots and sand.
    Either way you will be fine. Other than the first climb, the trails aren't super extreme either way. There are some fast rough sections where it would be great to have a little cushion to really bomb it. If your full suspension is a decent climber, I would probably use it.

See you up there. You have only been here two weeks but I would also recommend finding a friend and bringing him/her as well.

A plethora of pinatas
    I will be up there with AZ Devo - AZ DEVO Cycling Team

Be sure and stick around for the MTB Clinic at 3 PM on Saturday with the Men's Pro MBAA Series Champ, Zach Keller and the AZ Devo team.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Been eating serranos daily, still nothing, probably out.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    I'm in for two laps against the other Old Guys...

Going to be trying out my new 29'r HT...watch out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2 laps old guy cat... Hope they aren't testing for performance enhancing beer. Hope some folks stick around for sunday... could do Cabin loop

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What is the distance of one lap? This event sounds like a lot of fun. I assume we are able to bring out our bbqs if we want to smoke some ribs? I gotta think the fire danger is low enough. Given the nature of the event, I'd hate to get sited for breaking the fire laws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    What is the distance of one lap? This event sounds like a lot of fun. I assume we are able to bring out our bbqs if we want to smoke some ribs? I gotta think the fire danger is low enough. Given the nature of the event, I'd hate to get sited for breaking the fire laws.
    Between 15 and 16 miles per lap.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Just a little over 16 miles. I can't speak to any fire restrictions but I would hope we were in the clear for some BBQ.

It is a good event and you will feel good doing it (even when you are tired).

parenting for gnarness

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You'll be doing close to 49 cholla..... next year we'll make it the Piney Woods 50.....

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    45..or 49 I guess. Good either way.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just talked to my wife and it looks like I have a green light to come up for the race.

I'm stoked

Evan

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    Just a little over 16 miles. I can't speak to any fire restrictions but I would hope we were in the clear for some BBQ.

It is a good event and you will feel good doing it (even when you are tired).
    No camp fires in the fields where we'll be allowed to camp out but they may have one big camp fire near the barn for everyone to share and hang out. Bring some wood just in case.
    I am two lap SS and already feeling the pain of the 2nd lap. I am whimping out and went up two taller gears just because I remember how tough Hardscrabble road was and sloppy riding I did along the single track heading back to the finish line.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

the wife and I will both be doing the full meal deal. SS - old guy/gal class.

I'm just hoping the beer garden is still open after I roll in DFL.

mtbr member

SS Gearing?

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    I am two lap SS and already feeling the pain of the 2nd lap. I am whimping out and went up two taller gears just because I remember how tough Hardscrabble road was and sloppy riding I did along the single track heading back to the finish line.
    TacoBeer (great name by the way), what SS gearing are you running?

Not being from 'round here, I'm not sure what to run. In TX, I was running a 32x19T for the most trails. With more climbing here I'm wondering if I should go to a 20T or 21T.

Appreciate the feedback on this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Added raw garlic into the mix....it may just happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was going through the entries and aside from one team, there isn't anyone from Payson or Pine. As a Payson native I am a little disappointed. I know there are some riders up there. They need to represent yo!

Registered Bike Offender
    You know I will be there. Hopefully I can make 2 laps.
    "Grab life by the bars"

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
    I was going through the entries and aside from one team, there isn't anyone from Payson or Pine. As a Payson native I am a little disappointed. I know there are some riders up there. They need to represent yo!
    Seriously. There is nothing cooler than seeing guys (and gals) from Prescott dominating at Whiskey, or mountain folk from Show Low making a showing at TOWM. Evan has rung the bell, all of you from Payson and Pine, and you have about 15 hours to come out, register, and show us what year-round high altitude training can do for you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    the wife and I will both be doing the full meal deal. SS - old guy/gal class.

I'm just hoping the beer garden is still open after I roll in DFL.
    You won't be DFL, trust me. That is, unless I get a DNF.

mtbr member

Not being from 'round here, I'm not sure what to run. In TX, I was running a 32x19T for the most trails. With more climbing here I'm wondering if I should go to a 20T or 21T.

I''ll be running a 32X20. I preroad part of one lap on Friday, and Hardscrabblee is a long, steep grind, but doable with a 20T, as it was a bit muddy. Once over that hill, it's a long descent, and very spinny with a 20T.

That said, I'm not sure what my 2nd (and third if I don't wimp out) will be like. I am about 10 lbs heavier than the last time I raced .

Depends on how strong you are but on average I ride a 32x18t (19t lately because I've been lazy) Last year I ran a 20t, first lap wasn't bad and I rode all but the last 100 ft of the last steep on Hardscrabble rd, but walked a hell of a lot more on the 2nd lap. If you are in decent shape a 20t will be fine (for two laps, I don't know about a 3rd) I noted in my log that I wished I ran a 21t so I think I'll use that this time, This Friday I plan on riding up Hardscrabble in the 21t and see how it goes and make my decision if I should go back to a 20t. this course if tough for SS because of the very steep climbs and then all the decents and flats on forest rd, there isn't a great gear for it, make your choice if you want to spin like a rabbit on crack or mash hard and maybe burn out. Lap count will make a huge difference and i say if you are doing 1 lap go to a smaller gear and push through it because you won't have to climb Hardscrabble rd again, just don't go too hard. I don't know why it is but to me this course is more difficult with climbing than the Whiskey off road (which I ride in a 20t no problem) Good luck to all and have a safe and fun ride. Join me and do 2 laps, more competition the better.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    That said, I'm not sure what my 2nd (and third if I don't wimp out) will be like. I am about 10 lbs heavier than the last time I raced .
    Don't worry about spinning out on the downhill. Just stay off the brakes and let gravity do all the work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    ....damn, this just isn't happening, maybe ghost chilies?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    ....damn, this just isn't happening, maybe ghost chilies?
    and this concerns us why? is there a Scoville category?

mtbr member
    Change of plans. The SS is on the mend, so taking the geared bike up. This will be my first race with gears in....gosh, I have no idea...10 years?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Those single speeders are genetic freaks with artificial knees... you'll be glad you have gears on your second and third laps. Plus since you've been riding ss you'll be able to mash gears.. just yell "get out of the way" if you see me on the trail..

Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    Those single speeders are genetic freaks with artificial knees... you'll be glad you have gears on your second and third laps. Plus since you've been riding ss you'll be able to mash gears.. just yell "get out of the way" if you see me on the trail..

Actually, nowadays, you're supposed to yell, "Strava!"

Change of plans. The SS is on the mend, so taking the geared bike up. This will be my first race with gears in....gosh, I have no idea...10 years?
    Don't go to the dark side! Strip the gears off and convert it, gears will only make you slower. Next time let me know ahead of time and I can lend you a Vassago to use, only problem it's set up 32x18t right now. see ya up there, I'm leaving in three minutes.

A plethora of pinatas
    I have a Large Niner SIR that you could borrow if you want. Set up 32x19 right now, but I can easily throw my 20t on there. Ty is also racing the 45mile SS event this weekend. We converted his BMC over to SS using the "magic gear".
    Marty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    I have a Large Niner SIR that you could borrow if you want. Set up 32x19 right now, but I can easily throw my 20t on there. Ty is also racing the 45mile SS event this weekend. We converted his BMC over to SS using the "magic gear".
    I HATE YOU!!!!!!!

Okay, I lied. It has less to do with the bike on the mend, and more to do with me. My front hub was not spinning freely, and I was trying to talk myself into switching last night instead of getting it fixed. I actually have another wheel I could easily put on the SS (just need to repalce the 15mm insert with the 9 mil). But waking up with a swollen knee from playing Ultimate Frisbee last night kind of put me over the top. I'm pretty certain my body would not be able to do 3 laps. I feel like a failure right now.

See you up there tonight!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Actually, nowadays, you're supposed to yell, "Strava!"
    hey wouldnt it be cool if they handed out KOM segment awards at this race, like the yellow or polka dot jersey at TdF. Maybe a set of pink panties?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Don't go to the dark side! Strip the gears off and convert it, gears will only make you slower. Next time let me know ahead of time and I can lend you a Vassago to use, only problem it's set up 32x18t right now. see ya up there, I'm leaving in three minutes.
    See below. More to do with a swollen knee. I needed an excuse .

I only found out late last night that the my front hub was frozen. I think it was from riding the course last friday. I need new bearings in all liklihood. I do have another wheel I could use, but don't want to bother.

When you said the hill on round two hurt, I asked myself, "do I really want to walk my bike up that hill on lap three" which probably would have happened

A plethora of pinatas
    I HATE YOU!!!!!!!

Okay, I lied. It has less to do with the bike on the mend, and more to do with me. My front hub was not spinning freely, and I was trying to talk myself into switching last night instead of getting it fixed. I actually have another wheel I could easily put on the SS (just need to repalce the 15mm insert with the 9 mil). But waking up with a swollen knee from playing Ultimate Frisbee last night kind of put me over the top. I'm pretty certain my body would not be able to do 3 laps. I feel like a failure right now.

See you up there tonight!
    Too funny! Sorry to hear about the knee. We will be heading up there early tomorrow AM. Come by the AZ Devo tent if you need anything.
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    hey wouldnt it be cool if they handed out KOM segment awards at this race, like the yellow or polka dot jersey at TdF. Maybe a set of pink panties?
    That would be pretty cool. Nothing says I'm faster than everyone like pink panties. But really, that would be fun if they had something for us slower guys to go for. I'm not setting any course records, but I would try blazing through the tech section and think I have a meager outside chance of at least getting some purple panties. I like the Enduro section that is set up for the TOWM this year. Some up and down over Blue Ridge. Winner gets 10x Kudos for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    Those single speeders are genetic freaks with artificial knees

nah, just regular folk who lack good sense.

At any rate, will there be a place to stash a small cooler for folks doing multiple laps? I'd like a little pick-me-up before my last lap and don't feel like carrying it all the way.

nah, just regular folk who lack good sense.

At any rate, will there be a place to stash a small cooler for folks doing multiple laps? I'd like a little pick-me-up before my last lap and don't feel like carrying it all the way.
    When I rolled through the start/finish last year they had a table set up with goodies TOWM style - fruit, HEED, crackers, etc. No need to carry anything. I'm sure you could stash your goodies somewhere around there. There was lots of space. And don't forget to stop at the keg before rolling back towards the school. FREE BEER! I hope he's out again this year.

When I rolled through the start/finish last year they had a table set up with goodies TOWM style - fruit, HEED, crackers, etc. No need to carry anything. I'm sure you could stash your goodies somewhere around there. There was lots of space. And don't forget to stop at the keg before rolling back towards the school. FREE BEER! I hope he's out again this year.

Right. It's been so long since I've paid to race that I forgot about things like support and food tables.

Free beer? I hope that isn't available during the race. I've never said no to free beer - even during a race.

See ya there.

--Jeff

Right. It's been so long since I've paid to race that I forgot about things like support and food tables.

Free beer? I hope that isn't available during the race. I've never said no to free beer - even during a race.

See ya there.

--Jeff
    This ain't no AES ride! I'm leaving my burrito at home tomorrow. And yes, free beer handed out as you rode though some fine Pine citizen's driveway to head back to the school. He was cheery and generous! I didn't see him until the second lap though, and yes, I couldn't not stop either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wouldn't Mike's backyard be a great place to serve a "cold beverage" .... all downhill after that.

parenting for gnarness
    This ain't no AES ride! I'm leaving my burrito at home tomorrow. And yes, free beer handed out as you rode though some fine Pine citizen's driveway to head back to the school. He was cheery and generous! I didn't see him until the second lap though, and yes, I couldn't not stop either.
    dang...dont plan on stopping for beer, but great to know we dont need to carry food or much water. im leaving the camelback and the baggies, but will pack an emergency hit of shammy butter.

Ha! Yeah, I should probably pull a bunch of crap out of my pack.

We should be getting really great weather. Add in free beer and it sounds like heaven.

My laps were only 1:45ish, and I sure wasn't mashing it. Even I could go that long between bananas, pickle juice and crackers. I'm taking a 100 oz bladder, a bottle for Perpetuem, and a goo or two or three.