Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Fire on the Rim Roll Call?

I know a roll call is a little redundant because the registration website has a list of all registered participants, but--in the hope that this generates some more interest in the race--who is in for the Fire on the Rim race this Saturday?

As a reminder to all of us lollygaggers, registration closes tomorrow, so talk yourself and your friends into doing the race. It is a great cause and a great race.

As for me, I am in for two laps. My wife is in for one.
    Last edited by RNC; 09-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm in for the 15 miler-Men's Open. I have a buddy going with me who's doing 15 also.

This is my 1st race. I almost wish they had a newbie category but I'll have fun anyway.
    Last edited by jasmap; 09-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    I know a roll call is a little redundant because the registration website has a list of all registered participants, but--in the hope that this generates some more interest in the race--who is in for the Fire on the Rim race this Saturday?

As a reminder to all of us lollygaggers, registration closes tomorrow, so talk yourself and your friends into doing the race. It is a great cause and a great race.

As for me, I am in for two laps.
    In

SS 45 Mile

Will be heading up around 3 on Friday, and camping out at the venue.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Not riding but my 8yo daughter and myself are going to be volunteers as a flaggers. We will be camping at the venue.

mtbr member
    I moved to the Phoenix area 2 weeks ago from N. TX and considering this race. Probably 2 laps.

Any thoughts on SS Rigid vs. Men's Open on a Full Squish?

As a reference, the trails I rode N. TX, are mostly fast XC with some tech, climbs and lots roots and sand.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    I moved to the Phoenix area 2 weeks ago from N. TX and considering this race. Probably 2 laps.

Any thoughts on SS Rigid vs. Men's Open on a Full Squish?

As a reference, the trails I rode N. TX, are mostly fast XC with some tech, climbs and lots roots and sand.
    Either way you will be fine. Other than the first climb, the trails aren't super extreme either way. There are some fast rough sections where it would be great to have a little cushion to really bomb it. If your full suspension is a decent climber, I would probably use it.

See you up there. You have only been here two weeks but I would also recommend finding a friend and bringing him/her as well.

You're killing me Smalls!
    I will be up there with AZ Devo - AZ DEVO Cycling Team

Be sure and stick around for the MTB Clinic at 3 PM on Saturday with the Men's Pro MBAA Series Champ, Zach Keller and the AZ Devo team.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Been eating serranos daily, still nothing, probably out.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    I'm in for two laps against the other Old Guys...

Going to be trying out my new 29'r HT...watch out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2 laps old guy cat... Hope they aren't testing for performance enhancing beer. Hope some folks stick around for sunday... could do Cabin loop

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What is the distance of one lap? This event sounds like a lot of fun. I assume we are able to bring out our bbqs if we want to smoke some ribs? I gotta think the fire danger is low enough. Given the nature of the event, I'd hate to get sited for breaking the fire laws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    What is the distance of one lap? This event sounds like a lot of fun. I assume we are able to bring out our bbqs if we want to smoke some ribs? I gotta think the fire danger is low enough. Given the nature of the event, I'd hate to get sited for breaking the fire laws.
    Between 15 and 16 miles per lap.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Just a little over 16 miles. I can't speak to any fire restrictions but I would hope we were in the clear for some BBQ.

It is a good event and you will feel good doing it (even when you are tired).

parenting for gnarness

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You'll be doing close to 49 cholla..... next year we'll make it the Piney Woods 50.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    45..or 49 I guess. Good either way.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just talked to my wife and it looks like I have a green light to come up for the race.

I'm stoked

Evan

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    Just a little over 16 miles. I can't speak to any fire restrictions but I would hope we were in the clear for some BBQ.

It is a good event and you will feel good doing it (even when you are tired).
    No camp fires in the fields where we'll be allowed to camp out but they may have one big camp fire near the barn for everyone to share and hang out. Bring some wood just in case.
    I am two lap SS and already feeling the pain of the 2nd lap. I am whimping out and went up two taller gears just because I remember how tough Hardscrabble road was and sloppy riding I did along the single track heading back to the finish line.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    the wife and I will both be doing the full meal deal. SS - old guy/gal class.

I'm just hoping the beer garden is still open after I roll in DFL.

mtbr member

SS Gearing?

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    I am two lap SS and already feeling the pain of the 2nd lap. I am whimping out and went up two taller gears just because I remember how tough Hardscrabble road was and sloppy riding I did along the single track heading back to the finish line.
    TacoBeer (great name by the way), what SS gearing are you running?

Not being from 'round here, I'm not sure what to run. In TX, I was running a 32x19T for the most trails. With more climbing here I'm wondering if I should go to a 20T or 21T.

Appreciate the feedback on this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Added raw garlic into the mix....it may just happen.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was going through the entries and aside from one team, there isn't anyone from Payson or Pine. As a Payson native I am a little disappointed. I know there are some riders up there. They need to represent yo!

Registered Bike Offender
    You know I will be there. Hopefully I can make 2 laps.
    "Grab life by the bars"

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Lloyd View Post
    I was going through the entries and aside from one team, there isn't anyone from Payson or Pine. As a Payson native I am a little disappointed. I know there are some riders up there. They need to represent yo!
    Seriously. There is nothing cooler than seeing guys (and gals) from Prescott dominating at Whiskey, or mountain folk from Show Low making a showing at TOWM. Evan has rung the bell, all of you from Payson and Pine, and you have about 15 hours to come out, register, and show us what year-round high altitude training can do for you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    the wife and I will both be doing the full meal deal. SS - old guy/gal class.

I'm just hoping the beer garden is still open after I roll in DFL.
    You won't be DFL, trust me. That is, unless I get a DNF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast