RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Fire on the Rim Report

Well, the race is done and I think it was near perfect. The conditions were great, the track was fast, and the turnout was exactly what the race needed. I think the race got 2.5 as many racers as last year and they have room to grow. I hope they keep it going.

As for my race, it was a tough one but I was glad I did it. 1fast29er had beaten me by a few minutes in last years FOTR and Whiskey 25. So I took up the challenge of racing him this year. He and I had an epic battle for about a half mile then I let him go, thinking (hoping?) that he might be going out just a little fast. Turns out he is just fast. He smoked me by 32 minutes in a 3 hour race (at least 3 hours for him). Great job, Jeff. Next year, I vow I will cut the margin to 25 minutes.

I want to give some serious credit to Dag Nabbit who muscled through some crazy cramps to finish the 45 on his tall-geared 1x9. Dude is an animal.

I thought Hub Event did a great job with the event management. The people from Pine were awesome. There aren't too many races where people literally open their backyards to you. Also, becase mcoplea is a good guy who works hard to do good things, I wanted to thank AZ Devo for being a part of the race event. It is all this grass roots stuff that makes Arizona a great place to be a mountain biker.

I am looking forward to next year's event.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
    Last edited by RNC; 09-15-2012 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Agreed. The race was a lot of fun. This was my first experience in competitive racing. I sucked, but I did better then expected. The communities of Pine/Strawberry were great. People were sitting on the side of the road cheering on the bikers as they passed. The cowbells were great.

A big thanks to all the volunteers and organizers. I look forward to next year.

Evan

I rarely pay to ride my bike anymore these days, but I'll probably be doing this race again next year. It was a lot of fun. My thoughts on the race are below.

The course - Unfortunately there is a lot of dirt road and even paved road sections. However, the singletrack sections were great fun. There were plenty of techy sections that were tough for beginners, but a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing. They are continuing to build singletrack, so I expect the course will get better each year. Despite the large amount of non-singletrack sections it was still a fairly tough ride. That climb up Hardscrabble is as mentally challenging as it is physically a grind. My GPS showed about 7000 feet of climbing over 3 laps.

Organization - I thought the organizers had their act together. No complaints. The sections that went across roads were staffed - so that we didn't have to stop for traffic - that was good. I especially appreciated that awards started on time and didn't take forever.

The vibe - It was quite apparent that the town was excited to have us there. The volunteers were quite enthusiastic. The guy handing out samples of his belgian red homebrew = win. The race is still small enough to have an easygoing vibe. I hope they can keep that as the race grows - and I believe it will continue to grow.

Value - Entry fees were cheaper than just about any race I've seen in the last couple of years and we still got a nice t-shirt, a pint glass, and some other schwag. For those that did 3 laps, you paid less than a dollar a mile. I'd say the value was high.

--Jeff

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This was my first race! I loved it, the locals and the towns are so awesome and friendly. I dont plan on racing again but this maybe my once a year race that i join since it is so enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What a great day.... I would like to thank everyone who got out and raced...I would also like to thank the 100+ volunteers who spent their saturday working so we all could have fun .... I hope that you spread the word about out race in Pine USA!!! All the money goes back to building trails... We have IMBA coming in October to kick off the building of the first 8 miles of a proposed 23 mile loop that would circle Pine.. I will be keep you posted on trail development. Hopefully we'll have some new dirt in the area to explore soon... I will keep working on our Forest Service gal "Rachel" to allow us to build more trail and improve what we have (don't worry we will keep it techy... definitely don't want to become a "Barn Burner" event... reward those that are fit AND can ride) would like to get a few more miles of singletrack on the race course............ looking at ways to get people stay for Sunday like Whiskey... maybe a music fest on sunday or a pro event if we can generate $$$ and numbers.hardscrabble hillclimb..?? . If you have any ideas post'em we'll be holding our first meeting for 2013 in October. We will definitely be having a Sunday ride to showcase the new trails.. ... any other ideas.??? I can understand getting back to Feenix if need to work but ...... man it's pretty nice just to hang out here in September............. maybe we could put up some fake traffic lights to make everyone feel at home....
    Last edited by 90minIPA; 09-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.

mtbr member
    This was my first time as a volunteer at a MTB race so I brought my daughter up and we did our thing and made a great weekend out of it. We went to THAT brewery for dinner and I came back to camp with a growler so I put a good dent in that and we walked over from the campground and hung out why the band played and I was amazed at how many people came over and asked if my daughter wanted anything. GREAT trip and I did not even get to ride! Look forward to riding next year!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    I want to give some serious credit to Dag Nabbit who muscled through some crazy cramps to finish the 45 on his tall-geared 1x9. Dude is an animal.
    My e-ego has grown to epic, uncontrollable proportions! I must be an animal, because I was sure whimpering like one on the last lap! I was fighting cramps since my second climb up Hardscrabble. They just wouldn't subside, even with all the bananas, carborocket, heed, perpetuem, oranges, Blocks and Gu's I was tossing down my gullet. I even stuffed a few pretzel cups in my hip pockets and munched through those too. It sure shows in my time - lap #1, 1:51. Lap #3, 2:38! Where I made it up Hardscrabble on lap one and two, I walked probably 70% of it the last lap, as well as the climb after the tank. I was contemplating the merits of a 2x10 after that..... The techy singletrack wouldn't let up either - lots more walking. But - DFL>DNF! I'll take it. Nice to see you out on the course again!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    I rarely pay to ride my bike anymore these days, but I'll probably be doing this race again next year. It was a lot of fun. My thoughts on the race are below.

The course - Unfortunately there is a lot of dirt road and even paved road sections. However, the singletrack sections were great fun. There were plenty of techy sections that were tough for beginners, but a lot of fun if you like that sort of thing. They are continuing to build singletrack, so I expect the course will get better each year. Despite the large amount of non-singletrack sections it was still a fairly tough ride. That climb up Hardscrabble is as mentally challenging as it is physically a grind. My GPS showed about 7000 feet of climbing over 3 laps.

Organization - I thought the organizers had their act together. No complaints. The sections that went across roads were staffed - so that we didn't have to stop for traffic - that was good. I especially appreciated that awards started on time and didn't take forever.

The vibe - It was quite apparent that the town was excited to have us there. The volunteers were quite enthusiastic. The guy handing out samples of his belgian red homebrew = win. The race is still small enough to have an easygoing vibe. I hope they can keep that as the race grows - and I believe it will continue to grow.

Value - Entry fees were cheaper than just about any race I've seen in the last couple of years and we still got a nice t-shirt, a pint glass, and some other schwag. For those that did 3 laps, you paid less than a dollar a mile. I'd say the value was high.

--Jeff
    +1 to what Jeff said.

The Town of Pine - holy f**** s***. WOW! i've never had so much support. THANK YOU! flying down into 4-way stops at 25 mph and having someone flagging the cars to stop so we could hammer through the next up -- this was the norm for every single turn on the course. It got to be stoopid the support was so good...'please granny, dont get up and wave me left for 20 seconds, its my 3rd lap i got this, there's 14 flags. damn this must hurt your osteoarthritis.' to have a race where you feel like THE MAIN EVENT was too much fun! I tried to say thanks to all the volunteers on my 3rd lap but i was heaving at the doorway to my dark place for 1.5 hrs. I really really really had to HTFU to go out for the 3rd lap.

The course: on the whole, m'eh. 3 miles of very fun intermediae techy single track and 3 miles of tricky dbltrack bombing descent redeemed it. It was definitely a challenge with ~2500 vf per lap, and the climbs were tolerable\pretty\minimal traffic that the jeep road\double track really never seemed so bad. Still, a LOT of road and jeep track. I would not ride it for a social ride, but it did the job for the race. The part through homeboy's backyard was silly fun that put a smile on my face every lap - the beer shot at the end was tasty.

Value - off the hook great!. I signed up that week for $50, nice bag'o'shwag, beer garden, everything ran smooth, whole course was well marked, sufficient supplies that by my 3rd lap i felt confident going out with just 1 16 oz bottle. Cheap enough that we had a enjoyed a nice local dinner and i bought a cowbell (which incontrovertibly on tivo-delay led to the Eagles beating the Ravens).

Do this next year if you want a good, pretty mellow time with a good physical challenge at a good price.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    They just wouldn't subside, even with all the bananas, carborocket, heed, perpetuem, oranges, Blocks and Gu's I was tossing down my gullet. I even stuffed a few pretzel cups in my hip pockets and munched through those too.
    Your cramping issue is obvious.....No burrito in that grocery list, tsk, tsk. I thought you had learned that by now, sheesh.

(says the man that slept in till 10am on Sat.)
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Your cramping issue is obvious.....No burrito in that grocery list, tsk, tsk. I thought you had learned that by now, sheesh.
    I had some burrito on the way up. I just didn't put it in the pack. I didn't want it to slow me down going up Hardscrabble!

Registered Bike Offender
    As for my race, it was a tough one but I was glad I did it. 1fast29er had beaten me by a few minutes in last years FOTR and Whiskey 25. So I took up the challenge of racing him this year. He and I had an epic battle for about a half mile then I let him go, thinking (hoping?) that he might be going out just a little fast. Turns out he is just fast. He smoked me by 32 minutes in a 3 hour race (at least 3 hours for him). Great job, Jeff. Next year, I vow I will cut the margin to 25 minutes.
    Hey good job out there buddy. That was a tough race.

It amazes me how much the locals support this race. This is moving up on my list as a favorite. Good job Pine and good job MBAA and everyone who put this on.

I always like to see a race be mostly singletrack but the double-track and fire roads actually helped make it easy to pass and get into a good position in this race. Almost lost my brakes on the second big downhill ha ha. I had a blast!
    "Grab life by the bars"

A plethora of pinatas
    Well, the race is done and I think it was near perfect. The conditions were great, the track was fast, and the turnout was exactly what the race needed. I think the race got 2.5 as many racers as last year and they have room to grow. I hope they keep it going.

I thought Hub Event did a great job with the event management. The people from Pine were awesome. There aren't too many races where people literally open their backyards to you. Also, becase mcoplea is a good guy who works hard to do good things, I wanted to thank AZ Devo for being a part of the race event. It is all this grass roots stuff that makes Arizona a great place to be a mountain biker.

I am looking forward to next year's event.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks for the shout out! It was a great time up there and looking forward to next year.
    Marty

mtbr member
    I want to say I had a great time, but DNFing kind of took some of the allure out of the event for me. Had nothing to do with the race, all the super volunteers, and the course. All my doing. Lap one, I felt really good, and I think I rode 100% of it, with the exception of one fall in the tech section. Unfortunately, in the tech section, I hit something pretty hard, and my seat clamp gave out, and my seat was point up.
    After lap 1, I got off and tried to get it level. I was a bit flustered, tired, unfocused, and after about 20 mins, I got it what I thought was level. Unfortunately, on the climb it was very evident it was not, and I found myself fighting non-stop to stay on the seat for the rest of the lap. By then, by body started to give out, and I ended up walking part of Hardscrabble, the climb to the water tank, and then part of the climb before the fast flowey descent. When I got to the tech section, I must have hit that same bump, and my seat was not almost vertical. I got off, took the damn post off to see if I could figure out how to get the mother level. By then, all my energy was zapped, and I was getting frustrated. After about another 20 mins, I finally figured it out. But, I had already been lapped by at least 6 racers, and was starting to see things, and talked myself into quitting. This is only the second time I've quit a race, and it's demoralizing. Driving home Saturday, I started to feel like a loser.
    That said, I did have a blast. I love the band on Friday night, I loved how the town embraced all the racers, I loved the microbrew in the guys backyard about a mile from the finish line. I will do this race every year now, hopefully with better results.
    Moral of the story: avoid Giant seatposts like the devil.
    P.S. I have no idea what I was thinking of signing up for the SS 45er. I doubt I would have been able to finish my second lap.
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 09-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Ok, my turn. Friday night I had a blast. I was just having fun then all of a sudden I realized I was drunk. I didn't realize how much beer I was drinking and I didn't get to bed till 1am or something like that. I remember I was going to be deydrated so I took my water bladder with me to bed so I could keep drinking throughout the night. about 3am I woke up with my left side freezing and numb and realized I slept on the mouth peice and was completly soaked and inside my sleeping bag.
    I got naked and slept the rest of the night, next thing I know I wake up and it's about 20 minutes till race time, I crawled out of bed and ran to the neared place away from people and vomited. I then waited for what seemed forever to use one of the only two porta pottys (which by the way they will correct that problem for next year so no worry) I head back to the tent to eat only to vomit, I then find out that my race is ready to start and I see everyone lined up to go. I grabbed my bike and start heading to the start as fast as I can (which is very slow at this time) and off they all go and I am yelling out "wait for me" I get to the start line just before the next group is ready to go and at this point my race is over and it's just a ride to sweat out the toxins. no food so my tank is empty and I can't even drink a simple goo. Great support but with a hangover as bad as this the screaming crowd with the cowbells was painful and I just wanted to crawl intot he woods and sleep but I pushed on.
    The good news is I was able to ride the entire Hardscrabble road the first lap but it was not easy, I walked a lot of the 2nd lap up that damn hill. Then on any tech stuff my chain kept poppin off and I find out it's due to a bent rear cog. So I still go on hoping to at least finish, going throught he beer hand off I actually said no on the first lap, I can't believe it too. 2nd lap I did take the beer and as I was about to take a drink I hit a bump and inhaled most of it, racing with a nose & lung full of beer was bad enough but it didn't help the hangover any but I was able to get a little sip.
    I did finish my two laps and paid the price for a hell of a night before. my time if correct was over an hour slower than last year. I still had fun and will be back to make up for the worst perfomance of racing/riding of my life.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Always a good day to ride
    Bummed that we miss this event. We did it last year and had a blast! Did they add some milage to the course this year? My buddy did the 45 and his garmin said it was a 48 miles with just under 7000 feet of climbing! That is longer and more climbing than the Whiskey 50!

mtbr member
    Let me first say I made a good decision going for the 30 mile and not the 45. The course was very demanding, especially if you were pushing hard. That may have been my problem and ultimate undoing. I was feeling great and hammered it for about 22 miles, then very suddenly and completely fell apart. It was all I could do to pedal up to the water tanks the second time around, then just tried to hang on for a couple miles after that. Crazy quad cramps through the single track and a hard OTB crash on the final technical descent doomed me to 4th place in the 45+ class....I'll be back!

I don't know how you animals did three laps on that course. I did the Whiskey 50 this last year and I don't want any part of three laps at the FoTR.

The event was great and the local support unmatched at any race I've been to. A little more single track would be fine, but I thought the course was a very appropriate endurance race course. I did think the hard right turn after the steep descent from the water tanks at the barb wire fence was a little dangerous....maybe wrap the fence or cover it somehow...or somebody is going to end up like shredded cheese.
    Last edited by azokie; 09-17-2012 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just an outstanding event all the way around. I liked the change of venue for the start/finish area. It was a little bottle-necky, but better for the overall vibe.

Only goof was my own - I was part of a group of 4 or 5 riders (maybe more?) on Lap 1 of 3 that went straight at the hard left to the water tank. We had a nice HAB up what felt like a 25% grade. From the top we had a great bird's eye view of the water tank and realized our mistake - d'oh! I had no excuse having done it last year, but I swear those directional arrows weren't up on Lap 1.

I'm hoping the event stays smallish, but doubt it will because it's so great. One of the race staff said he thought the course/venue could accommodate about 400 riders. I'll bet they get that next year easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bam29er View Post
    Only goof was my own - I was part of a group of 4 or 5 riders (maybe more?) on Lap 1 of 3 that went straight at the hard left to the water tank. We had a nice HAB up what felt like a 25% grade. From the top we had a great bird's eye view of the water tank and realized our mistake - d'oh! I had no excuse having done it last year, but I swear those directional arrows weren't up on Lap 1.
    I did the same thing, thinking it was the steep climb to the tank, but luckily didn't make it to the top. About halfway up I heard some bikes down below me. And to the corkfocker that was right behind me, made the turn and couldn't yell, "Dood! Wrong way!" may your Stan's dry up and chain suck! It's not like I wouldn't have lots of HAB on the last lap anyway.......and after checking the times I gave myself the prize for single longest time on the course (which was a in the mirror). I'm now disappointed I didn't take any pictures. DFL 4 LIFE!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    I did the same thing, thinking it was the steep climb to the tank, but luckily didn't make it to the top. About halfway up I heard some bikes down below me. And to the corkfocker that was right behind me, made the turn and couldn't yell, "Dood! Wrong way!" may your Stan's dry up and chain suck! It's not like I wouldn't have lots of HAB on the last lap anyway.......and after checking the times I gave myself the prize for single longest time on the course (which was a in the mirror). I'm now disappointed I didn't take any pictures. DFL 4 LIFE!
    you r ok in my buk, mon!