Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,640

    Fire on the Rim question.

    Looks like there are two planned prerides for the Fire on the Rim course: Aug. 25 and Sept 8th. Unfortunately, I can't make either. However, I'll be up in Payson on the 7th. Does anybody know if the trail will be well marked on the 7th, and can I preride it on Friday, the 7th? I've never ridden in Payson, and not familiar with any of the trails, so not sure who well marked they are.

    Also, for anybody who's done it, what's the camping situation like? I'm trying to get up there around 5 or 6 on Friday, but will camp spots be slim pickings by then?
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  2. #2
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    I plan on camping somewhere off of Hardscramble Road Friday night so I will be in the same boat as you. Last year the event wasn't too big, and I didn't see hardly any campers out there as I rode through the area during the race. There is a ton of camping spots out there and I don't see it getting jammed with people.
    "Grab life by the bars"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    I plan on camping somewhere off of Hardscramble Road Friday night so I will be in the same boat as you. Last year the event wasn't too big, and I didn't see hardly any campers out there as I rode through the area during the race. There is a ton of camping spots out there and I don't see it getting jammed with people.
    The website says there is an organized camping across the street from the venue, and that is where I had planned to camp.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  4. #4
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    Ah I did not see that. I will probably go camp in the wilderness anyway. I can never sleep with tons of other people around me like that.
    "Grab life by the bars"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    Ah I did not see that. I will probably go camp in the wilderness anyway. I can never sleep with tons of other people around me like that.
    And I hate drinking alone :-)

    What's your opinion on preridiing the course? Something I should do, or can I survive riding it for the first time at the race. I have absolutely no grand illusions, other than having enough energy to lift a can afterwards.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  6. #6
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    The only part I would recommend pre-riding is the few miles of singletrack that parallels the highway as you are heading back to Pine. I didn't remember it being too bad, but then a few months ago a friend and I went up there and rode most of the course and I was surprised. There was some technical stuff in that section. It seemed the ravine that the trail follows was washed out quite a bit. Now I'm a sissy when it comes to technical so I got off and HAB'd a lot of it. The folks up there might have cleaned it up some since then. I almost went OTB a few times and my friend did end up going OTB once. The rest of the course is cake, just bring yer climbing legs. About the same climbing as the Whiskey 25. Of course if your not going for gold, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just take it one mile at a time.
    "Grab life by the bars"

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    The only part I would recommend pre-riding is the few miles of singletrack that parallels the highway as you are heading back to Pine. I didn't remember it being too bad, but then a few months ago a friend and I went up there and rode most of the course and I was surprised. There was some technical stuff in that section. It seemed the ravine that the trail follows was washed out quite a bit. Now I'm a sissy when it comes to technical so I got off and HAB'd a lot of it. The folks up there might have cleaned it up some since then. I almost went OTB a few times and my friend did end up going OTB once. The rest of the course is cake, just bring yer climbing legs. About the same climbing as the Whiskey 25. Of course if your not going for gold, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just take it one mile at a time.
    Sounds good. I'll actually be up in Payson the previous weekend for a hardcore fantasy football draft. The drinking begins on Thursday, and wraps up Sunday. I figured if I had any hopes of preriding it, it would be Friday a.m. before the real drinking begins... I guess I'll play it by ear on race day.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  8. #8
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    Cool. See ya up there!
    "Grab life by the bars"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Looks like there are two planned prerides for the Fire on the Rim course: Aug. 25 and Sept 8th. Unfortunately, I can't make either. However, I'll be up in Payson on the 7th. Does anybody know if the trail will be well marked on the 7th, and can I preride it on Friday, the 7th? I've never ridden in Payson, and not familiar with any of the trails, so not sure who well marked they are.

    Also, for anybody who's done it, what's the camping situation like? I'm trying to get up there around 5 or 6 on Friday, but will camp spots be slim pickings by then?
    Part of the course is on private land. Thus, the only days the entire course is open to ride is on Aug. 25, Sept. 8th and on race day.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    The rest of the course is cake, just bring yer climbing legs. About the same climbing as the Whiskey 25.
    Is this stat. compared to the Fire on the Rim 15, 30 or 45 miler? Somebody mentioned on one of these threads that the 45 had more climbing than the Whiskey 50. I know the 45 stuck it to me good last year, but I have never done the Whiskey neither.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    191
    Here is the website with some race info

    Fire On The Rim Mountain Bike Race
    Casual Observer,
    Camping should be no problem this year as they are trying to make that aspect memorable.. so should be fun. As far as pre-riding.. the problem is part of the race route goes through a ranch and they have days set up to open up their ranch for preriding... I'm hoping to get video of track this weekend.... about 1400 feet of climbing per lap a couple of nice sections of single track some forest service road and a short section of paved road near Strawberry... I will be up there most weekends if you'd like a tour...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    Here is the website with some race info

    Fire On The Rim Mountain Bike Race
    Casual Observer,
    Camping should be no problem this year as they are trying to make that aspect memorable.. so should be fun. As far as pre-riding.. the problem is part of the race route goes through a ranch and they have days set up to open up their ranch for preriding... I'm hoping to get video of track this weekend.... about 1400 feet of climbing per lap a couple of nice sections of single track some forest service road and a short section of paved road near Strawberry... I will be up there most weekends if you'd like a tour...
    Great. Thanks. I thought I remember somebody saying part it was on private land, so wasn't sure if preriding on the 7th was possible. Unfortunately, the 7th, literally was the only day I have free to ride up there and even that was a maybe. I'll just wing it.

    I'm signed up for the 45, SS. I'll be on a 32X20, which sounds like will be a good gearing.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  13. #13
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    528
    I will be camping at the site also so join me for a beer. I did this last year, the course is fun but there are only two sections that I consider worth pre-riding. 1st one is right after the private ranch, the trail goes up and then there is a very FAST decent with ruts that if you make a mistake it will put the real hurt on you. the 2nd section is the single track from Strawberry to pine, this is the most fun section of the whole course but I am concerned someone will cut/alter the trail to make is easier (it's 100% ridable as it is) I did this in 20t last year and I was able to ride all but the last 50yards of Hardscrabble road on the 1st lap and walked more on the 2nd lap and wished I had a 21t. the road climb is the worse part of the entire course, I wish they could cut some decent single track to the top even if it means hike a biking some. (I was in very poor shape at that time so a 20t should be great now) I will be doing one of the pre-rides for sure.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

  14. #14
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Is this stat. compared to the Fire on the Rim 15, 30 or 45 miler? Somebody mentioned on one of these threads that the 45 had more climbing than the Whiskey 50. I know the 45 stuck it to me good last year, but I have never done the Whiskey neither.
    According to my GPS data from my races at the Whiskey 25 and the FOTM 30 it is almost exactly the same amount of climbing. Now GPS are never 100% accurate, and you may get a completely different reading from one GPS unit to another but overall I think the two are pretty close. For me the hurt factor was about the same.
    "Grab life by the bars"

  15. #15
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Part of the course is on private land. Thus, the only days the entire course is open to ride is on Aug. 25, Sept. 8th and on race day.
    Whats up buddy. You pre-riding it again? Wasn't the singletrack from strawberry to pine a little rough when we rode it a couple months ago? You guys left me in the dust so maybe it is just me. I have barely touched my bike the last month so will be in bad shape for this race.
    "Grab life by the bars"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    Whats up buddy. You pre-riding it again? Wasn't the singletrack from strawberry to pine a little rough when we rode it a couple months ago? You guys left me in the dust so maybe it is just me. I have barely touched my bike the last month so will be in bad shape for this race.
    Oops, you have me confused with somebody else.

  17. #17
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    ah shoot yer right. sorry.
    "Grab life by the bars"

  18. #18
    RNC
    RNC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Oops, you have me confused with somebody else.
    I am pretty sure I am that somebody else.

    I agree that it is worthwhile preriding the single track. It is all ridable, but I think there are a couple of areas where you wonder if your chainring is going to clear some of the erosion barriers or if you can really roll over some of the rocks. If you pick the right line, the answer is yes to both those questions. Having ridden it three times now (twice in last year's race), I feel more confident on it, though I did go OTB twice in those three loops, though with only minor asthetic injuries! (imagine emoticon with frowny face covered with dried blood from face wound)

    I also think preriding the first climb is worthwhile just from the psychological standpoint of knowing where it ends. There are a couple of blind corners where you think you might be reaching the end, only to have it pitch up for another steep climb.

    Looking forward to the event again this year. The race organizer has said there has a much better response from the mtb community this year, but I hope we can all help make the race a success.

  19. #19
    Registered Bike Offender
    Reputation: 1fast29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    I am pretty sure I am that somebody else.

    I agree that it is worthwhile preriding the single track. It is all ridable, but I think there are a couple of areas where you wonder if your chainring is going to clear some of the erosion barriers or if you can really roll over some of the rocks. If you pick the right line, the answer is yes to both those questions. Having ridden it three times now (twice in last year's race), I feel more confident on it, though I did go OTB twice in those three loops, though with only minor asthetic injuries! (imagine emoticon with frowny face covered with dried blood from face wound)

    I also think preriding the first climb is worthwhile just from the psychological standpoint of knowing where it ends. There are a couple of blind corners where you think you might be reaching the end, only to have it pitch up for another steep climb.

    Looking forward to the event again this year. The race organizer has said there has a much better response from the mtb community this year, but I hope we can all help make the race a success.
    I have no idea how I mixed that one up. Just been scatter brained lately. I need to get out and ride my bike more, and work less haha.

    I agree. Preriding the big climb helps too. It helps to know where it ends.
    "Grab life by the bars"

  20. #20
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    528
    well I just found out some bad news about the race. It appears they made two cats of SS, open and 45+. that's a damn shame, single speed should never be separated like that, it should always be one cat. with so little competetion I don't understand why they would do this.
    Does anyone know who to contact and see if this can be changed? I would rather take last place against many than podium with only a couple others.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    well I just found out some bad news about the race. It appears they made two cats of SS, open and 45+. that's a damn shame, single speed should never be separated like that, it should always be one cat. with so little competetion I don't understand why they would do this.
    Does anyone know who to contact and see if this can be changed? I would rather take last place against many than podium with only a couple others.

    Not sure I get why there should be only one cat.

    Not that I give a crap about podiums and placings and the like (being both old and slow), but I'm curious to hear why SS should be treated diffferently than geared - which have all kinds of age groupings.

  22. #22
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Not sure I get why there should be only one cat.

    Not that I give a crap about podiums and placings and the like (being both old and slow), but I'm curious to hear why SS should be treated diffferently than geared - which have all kinds of age groupings.
    Because it's SS not geared!
    More reasons, no other races that I can think of does it. I think because there are less competitors and even the old riders are friggin fast. there is no need to separate it, even the MBAA got rid of the Novice class and made only cat 1 SS. It's a class all it's own and should not be the same as geared anyways.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,640
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    well I just found out some bad news about the race. It appears they made two cats of SS, open and 45+. that's a damn shame, single speed should never be separated like that, it should always be one cat. with so little competetion I don't understand why they would do this.
    Does anyone know who to contact and see if this can be changed? I would rather take last place against many than podium with only a couple others.
    I think Mike Melley is the race organizer.
    Rarely adds anything productive to threads

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BritMtnBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Because it's SS not geared!
    More reasons, no other races that I can think of does it. I think because there are less competitors and even the old riders are friggin fast. there is no need to separate it, even the MBAA got rid of the Novice class and made only cat 1 SS. It's a class all it's own and should not be the same as geared anyways.
    Once you turn 45 - having a Masters cat in SS is rather nice. That way I dont have to take podium spots away from you young whippersnappers. Also on the other hand I might have an opportunity on getting on the podium because of all you young whippersnappers!

  25. #25
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker View Post
    Once you turn 45 - having a Masters cat in SS is rather nice. That way I dont have to take podium spots away from you young whippersnappers. Also on the other hand I might have an opportunity on getting on the podium because of all you young whippersnappers!
    Your only a year older than me and probably faster
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •