mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Fire on the Rim Preride, 8/25

Myself and a buddy did the FOR preride yesterday and got smoked. We made it fine and had a blast but we were crushed when we got done.

My buddy had some serious derailleur problems and had a nearly impossible time climbing so hike & biked hills way too much.

The initial climb is all road but almost non-stop and steep and is over 3 miles long from the ranch @ 6000 Bradshaw. The portions that are real trail are usually pretty dang technical. The course was marked with small wooden stakes and easily missed. We unfortunately saw a guy pass a marker on a horrible climb (when the trail turned left instead of continuing up). We tried to yell at him as he continued up to get him back but he had headphones in and was riding solo and he was too far away to chase down. I would say the only true negative is the trail markers were very lacking and very easy to miss. Otherwise it was fun.

We also got caught in a big downpour and got soaked and extremely muddy. The mud and rain were easy and the rain felt great......it was the slick mud that got us because we were in a downhill section. My Rampage and Saguaro couldn't shed mud fast enough and it was like riding on ice.

The course is difficult due to climbs, technical sections, and distance (over 15 miles per lap) but I had a blast. DIfficult and technical is what I was hoping for so this is a positive thing. The smooth downhills were FAST and we loved them.

It's a beautiful area with some gorgeous views. The trails and roads will test you in a few different ways. The few other riders out there were super-friendly. All-in-all I loved it and so did my buddy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We were also there yesterday, it was fun!
    Were you the ones who were riding the course backwards?
    We were about the same pace as the guy in headphones we all must have spent a good hour cleaning the bikes in that downhill muddy section cause the wheels wouldnt turn with all the mud buildup. Locals were awesome and super friendly. I think i will do another preride on Sep 8 just because it was such a nice ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fire on the Rim Preride, 8/25-payson-20120825-00059.jpg  

Fire on the Rim Preride, 8/25-payson-20120825-00058.jpg  

Fire on the Rim Preride, 8/25-img-20120825-00053.jpg  

Fire on the Rim Preride, 8/25-payson-20120825-00057.jpg  

Fire on the Rim Preride, 8/25-payson-20120825-00060.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for posting the pics. That wasn't us running it backwards. We ran into 2 different groups running it backwards though. We ran it as marked. I feel your pain with the mud. My bike was covered with mud and so was I when we got done. Hope you had fun!