Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Fire On The Rim Endurance Mountain Bike Race August 6th Pine, Arizona

I don't know if this race has been plugged on MTBR or not. If not, the communities of Pine/Strawberry, Arizona have teamed up with the MBAA to host an endurance mountain bike race on August 6th called Fire on the Rim. You can find them online at www.fireontherim.com

It'll be a good course that offers a lot of climbing up and over Strawberry Mountain and a sweet singletrack descent from Strawberry down into Pine (the Pine/Strawberry Trail has been completely overhauled in the last 4-6 weeks). I believe the race will be 15, 30, and 45 miles in length. You can solo the race or enter as a 3-person team.

What's even better about this race is that it is a precursor for a new non-motorized, singletrack trail system in and around Pine and Strawberry. Hopefully in the next 1-2 years new singletrack will be built, and Pine and Strawberry will become a real hotspot for mountain bikers in Arizona.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me, or contact the race directly off their website!

Cheers!

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks like a great event. My wife and I are already booked that weekend but otherwise we would be there...maybe next year. Good luck.

mtbr member
    The wife and I will be up there racing. It'll be a great warm up for barn burner.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Kathleen in AZ
    Looks like a fun event and I love the idea of new singletrack in that area, but what a regrettable name for the race!!

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^No joke....I thought that too. But the idea of folks throwing money down to do thinning projects around town is a great idea. Continuing on the theme, here is a little "Fire on the Mountain" for you 4/27/77

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    ^^^^No joke....I thought that too. But the idea of folks throwing money down to do thinning projects around town is a great idea. Continuing on the theme, here is a little "Fire on the Mountain" for you 4/27/77

I've had this song in my head all a.m., after seeing the post's subject.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Maad you hit the nail on the coffin with the Dead song.

The core group of people who are making this race and any future singletrack happen are part of the Pine-Strawberry Fuel Reduction Board. They've raised lots of money and awareness over the years for creating a fuel break and for thinning parts of the forest in that region. Their original goal for this race was to create a fundraiser that would go towards reducing the dangers of wildland fires in Pine and Strawberry, but they took that goal to the next level by wanting to turn Pine and Strawberry into a future mountain biking destination.

When they mentioned to me they were looking for a name for this race, they said it had to say fire in the name somewhere. The Grateful Dead's Fire on the Mountain immediately came to my mind, and it was my suggestion to name it Fire on the Mountain, but they changed it to Fire on the Rim!

mtbr member
    Mick, thanks for posting this up. I'll be heading back from Oklahoma with the family that week, but plan on stoping off in Payson Friday, and racing the 30 miler on Saturday.

Is the course pre-ridable yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great to hear you're going to do the race! Give Scott Davidson full props. He and a bunch of volunteers knew the Forest may close down due to fire dangers, so they went out in May and June and did a bunch of trail maintenance (even laying down some new singletrack on the north side of Strawberry Mountain). They got the course in primo shape (especially the Pine/Strawberry Trail). It is all rideable, but the forest has been closed for a couple of weeks now though. Hopefully the strong start to the monsoon season will re-open the forest, and the course will be open to ride ASAP! See you there!

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    I've had this song in my head all a.m., after seeing the post's subject.
    Here's the song it put in my head, another meaning of MTB:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e71N7EhaGA

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Who wants to pre-ride?

I'm planning on going up to Pine (from Chandler) on the July 30th to pre-ride the trail. Does anyone want to carpool that day?? Please let me know.

- Mike

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Several questions;
    1) I thought part of the course is on Private property, will this owner let us pre-ride and will the new trails be open to the puplic or is there plans to re-route it later.

2) where can we camp for free that is near by, I see listings on the site for many hotels and permit area's and i know of plenty of camping area's for free but not close. I am hoping but doubting we can sleep over night at the venue itself in the parking lot.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

re: Pre-Ride

According to the website, you can pre-ride on the 23rd or the 30th.

I don't think I want to camp. I never sleep good on the ground. I think I might just get up early and drive fast up there. I can get to Payson in about an hour and half from my house. So I figure if I leave by about 4:30am I should be in good shape. I might get a room. Looks like most hotels are about $110 for the night. My riding buddy might come too, so we'd split the cost.

The closest places to camp that would be good would be Christopher Creek, which is about 20 to 30 miles away. There's a good chance it'll rain the night before, so are you going in a RV or Tent??

There should be some places just North of Pine off 87 as well. It kind of depends if the forest is open or not. They had it closed a couple of weekends ago, but I imagine since we've had a lot of rain up there, it should be open now.

Again, if anyone wants to go ride it on the 30th, let me know. I want to run through twice just to be familiar with it.

- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Several questions;
    1) I thought part of the course is on Private property, will this owner let us pre-ride and will the new trails be open to the puplic or is there plans to re-route it later.

2) where can we camp for free that is near by, I see listings on the site for many hotels and permit area's and i know of plenty of camping area's for free but not close. I am hoping but doubting we can sleep over night at the venue itself in the parking lot.

I keep it simple for an event like this, I sleep in the back of my truck so all I need is room for my truck and a toilet close by. I was going to go up Friday night sleep over race then go home but I see there are other things going on over the weekend and I wanted to stay longer. This trip is costing too much as it is, I didn't budget this event in my plans for the year.
    Here's the kicker, my mother in law has a cabin in Strawberry but it's being totally remodeled and out of use right now, of all times for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinaz View Post
    According to the website, you can pre-ride on the 23rd or the 30th.

I don't think I want to camp. I never sleep good on the ground. I think I might just get up early and drive fast up there. I can get to Payson in about an hour and half from my house. So I figure if I leave by about 4:30am I should be in good shape. I might get a room. Looks like most hotels are about $110 for the night. My riding buddy might come too, so we'd split the cost.

The closest places to camp that would be good would be Christopher Creek, which is about 20 to 30 miles away. There's a good chance it'll rain the night before, so are you going in a RV or Tent??

There should be some places just North of Pine off 87 as well. It kind of depends if the forest is open or not. They had it closed a couple of weekends ago, but I imagine since we've had a lot of rain up there, it should be open now.

Again, if anyone wants to go ride it on the 30th, let me know. I want to run through twice just to be familiar with it.

- Mike
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cool new event with a good cause - Hub will be up there timing this one. Get some miles on new stuff, what more can you ask for....fine...cooler temps too.

mtbr member
    Sounds cool! I wish I had more notice so I could actually train for it. I'd really like to attend maybe next year...
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Training

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbrown View Post
    Sounds cool! I wish I had more notice so I could actually train for it. I'd really like to attend maybe next year...
    TrainShmain, it's only 15 miles!! Come on, you can do it, not like it's a marathon! I do 15 miles almost every weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think I am actually going to get out from behind the registration table and race this one. It will also be my son's first MTB race, he has been riding a MTB a couple times a week since school got out. All the skills in the world from BMX trails and dirt jumping but I think the climbing is going to kill him

Tucson, AZ
    Looks like a great event.

DCB
    I'll be there... doctor said something about no mountain biking for 6 months... what he doesn't know won't hurt him...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Pre-ride

Anybody pre-ride today? Any feedback on the course???

A plethora of pinatas
    AZ DEVO / MBAA MTB Skills Clinic for Beginner to Intermediate Riders

Join the AZ Devo Junior/U23 Development Team and the MBAA for a free mountain bike skills clinic for riders OF ALL AGES at the Fire on the Rim Event in Pine/Strawberry, AZ on 8/6/11. The clinic will begin at 2:30 PM. Arizona's Top CAT 1 Junior/U23 racers and Coach Darrin Permenter will be teaching a variety of skills to riders. Be sure and be prepared to have fun and learn some great skills to use in your next ride or race. This clinic is for riders 9 to 99 years old and all participants must bring their own bike and helmet. All participants must sign a waiver to attend this clinic on race day at the AZ Devo team tent.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    im registered. it will be my first xc race, im a dh rider so it will be a new experience. from the pictures it looks fairly techy, kinda like some of the trail around pinetop. im excited for it!

mtbr member
    whats the food and beer situation like at this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They opened up the trail for both Sat 30th and Sun 31st for pre-ridng. Trail is great. Lots of climbing but all doable and some very nice singletrack in a couple of sections. Just rode it today (30th) big improvement on ranch from last saturday.. nice track thru ... 15 miles is a nice serving of effort, 30 is big balls in cowtown effort. Please visit Rimside Grill after for some great food and some awesome beers on Tap ... O'dell's IPA yum!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Trail Comments

I rode the trail today. Go south of the school on the street there, make your first right and start up the hill. The first 2.8 miles is a 900-1000 foot or so elevation change, it's straight up a mountain. There's little flat or rest. It's just a forest road.

When you get to the top of the hill and see the sign for Stawberry, hang a left. Then you go down a forest road for a couple of miles. It's fairly rough, a few spots with rocks and stuff, but pretty easy and fun.

You will FINALLY see the signs for the race. Hang a right and start climbing again. You enter into private land. The guy who owns that must have quite the life. It's a huge ranch. Go up some more. Up and Up...

Hang a left and hit the single track. Climb some more, it's soft and rocky. There's a nice area where it gets flat and down hill you can get some speed. Then you CLIMB again and climb and climb.

It's down hill for about a mile or two on a very rough, rocky and very steep trail. Be careful. My co-rider end-oded at one point, nothing major, but a crash.

Finally you pop out on the paved road in a neighborhood and you climb again, for about 1/2 mile or so.

You get some nice down hills on the payment.

Finally, you hit AZ-87 again, but you turn right on the Strawberry/Pine trail. The sign says 2.5 miles, but I think it was more like 3 according to my GPS.

This was the killer spot for me. This was the nail in the coffin. The trail is barely rideable. It's forest, so it soft and very rocky. There's some very steep down hills with some giant rocks. Oh and don't get me started on the logs in the trail. Constant, having to deal with them.

There's a lot more climbing on this portion too. To call it technical is understatement, this portion is EXTREMELY technical. I was walking more than riding. This is a beautiful area and should be enjoyed on 2 feet, not 2 wheels. Most of the downhills were avoiding 18 inch drops, boulders, logs and rocks. It wasn't fun.

The last part of this is straight down the mountain side, riding the brakes he whole time. Finally, you pop out in a neighborhood and CLIMB. You're ALMOST done. Weird thing, you cut through someone's backyard and then it's a fast, paved downhill back to the school.

I know there are people out there who are champion riders. We saw people complete this in under 2 hours. I was riding with 2 others, we were done in 4.5 hours. Much longer than I anticipated. I can usually run a 15 mile course in about 1:45 or so.

I can't stress that this is not a beginners trail. We were with 2 others and before the top of the first hill, they turned back and quit. If you're not in great shape and have ridden very technical rides, don't bother! Seriously, this is not a novice ride. And for the most part, I'm a novice.

I've only been riding for about 7 months, so I'm no pro. I've come along way since I started. I can go further and faster than ever. But this ride kicked my ass. If not for the last 3 miles, I would have a different opinion. But that part was rediculous.

I'm bowing out boys. I'm not doing the race. I rode it. I saw it and that's it. Maybe next year. But this ride was more work than fun. Even the down hills were hard work.

Good luck to all those riding it. I think the 45 mile people are nuts.

The good news, I burned 3500 calories, so I get to eat ANYTHING I want today.

Here's the stats:
    Total Distance: 24.48 km (15.2 mi)
    Min Elevation: 1615 m (5297 ft)
    Max Elevation: 1904 m (6247 ft)
    Elevation Gain: 966 m (3170 ft)
    Max Grade: 8 %
    Min Grade: -25 %

if you want to see my ride: http : / / bit.ly/piEYSt
    Last edited by mikeinaz; 07-30-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added link

I rode the trail today. Go south of the school on the street there, make your first right and start up the hill. The first 2.8 miles is a 900-1000 foot or so elevation change, it's straight up a mountain. There's little flat or rest. It's just a forest road.

When you get to the top of the hill and see the sign for Stawberry, hang a left. Then you go down a forest road for a couple of miles. It's fairly rough, a few spots with rocks and stuff, but pretty easy and fun.

You will FINALLY see the signs for the race. Hang a right and start climbing again. You enter into private land. The guy who owns that must have quite the life. It's a huge ranch. Go up some more. Up and Up...

Hang a left and hit the single track. Climb some more, it's soft and rocky. There's a nice area where it gets flat and down hill you can get some speed. Then you CLIMB again and climb and climb.

It's down hill for about a mile or two on a very rough, rocky and very steep trail. Be careful. My co-rider end-oded at one point, nothing major, but a crash.

Finally you pop out on the paved road in a neighborhood and you climb again, for about 1/2 mile or so.

You get some nice down hills on the payment.

Finally, you hit AZ-87 again, but you turn right on the Strawberry/Pine trail. The sign says 2.5 miles, but I think it was more like 3 according to my GPS.

This was the killer spot for me. This was the nail in the coffin. The trail is barely rideable. It's forest, so it soft and very rocky. There's some very steep down hills with some giant rocks. Oh and don't get me started on the logs in the trail. Constant, having to deal with them.

There's a lot more climbing on this portion too. To call it technical is understatement, this portion is EXTREMELY technical. I was walking more than riding. This is a beautiful area and should be enjoyed on 2 feet, not 2 wheels. Most of the downhills were avoiding 18 inch drops, boulders, logs and rocks. It wasn't fun.

The last part of this is straight down the mountain side, riding the brakes he whole time. Finally, you pop out in a neighborhood and CLIMB. You're ALMOST done. Weird thing, you cut through someone's backyard and then it's a fast, paved downhill back to the school.

I know there are people out there who are champion riders. We saw people complete this in under 2 hours. I was riding with 2 others, we were done in 4.5 hours. Much longer than I anticipated. I can usually run a 15 mile course in about 1:45 or so.

I can't stress that this is not a beginners trail. We were with 2 others and before the top of the first hill, they turned back and quit. If you're not in great shape and have ridden very technical rides, don't bother! Seriously, this is not a novice ride. And for the most part, I'm a novice.

I've only been riding for about 7 months, so I'm no pro. I've come along way since I started. I can go further and faster than ever. But this ride kicked my ass. If not for the last 3 miles, I would have a different opinion. But that part was rediculous.

I'm bowing out boys. I'm not doing the race. I rode it. I saw it and that's it. Maybe next year. But this ride was more work than fun. Even the down hills were hard work.

Good luck to all those riding it. I think the 45 mile people are nuts.

The good news, I burned 3500 calories, so I get to eat ANYTHING I want today.

Here's the stats:
    Total Distance: 24.48 km (15.2 mi)
    Min Elevation: 1615 m (5297 ft)
    Max Elevation: 1904 m (6247 ft)
    Elevation Gain: 966 m (3170 ft)
    Max Grade: 8 %
    Min Grade: -25 %

Wow! I just got back and I pre-rode this today also and I am opposite of Mikes thought on this. the start I think was the worst, on forest road and a huge climb, no time for a good warm up. I was in the wrong gear for SS and I had to walk and break a little, it is all ridable but I did a big ride on Thursday and bonked so today's ride hurt. too much forest road but it is still a fun course overall and much tougher than I expected and do agree this will be a very tough race for beginners. I think there will be some people who will get hurt on the downhill after the private ranch, it's very smooth and even faster and easy to get pulled of the trail. I signed up for the 30 and look forward to the finish, the last three miles were the best of this trail, all ridable even on a SS 32x19t and out of shape. yes, my friend had to walk a lot but he was bonking, this part of the course made it all worth it. I only wish more of the course was like this.

mtbr member
    I pre-rode the course today as well. Didn't have as hard a time as Mike, but will tell you it is no creampuff. I clocked just over 2000' of climbing...about 800' of it right out of the gate..reminiscent of Skull Valley. I'm with Tacobeer on the downhill...it is a steep double track quad trail, with lots of crossovers, and can get away from you fast...expect some carnage. Miles 12 and 13 are pretty technical and will require your full attention. Should be fun!

You folks signed up for the 45 will have your hands full...sickos!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Gentlemen,
    Yes, the section is technical but ....... and the logs suck ......but this ain't a road race. I will be meeting with the committee in early August to plann next years race... building trail and building it correctly takes hugo-time ...The section of trail from Strawberry to Pine has huge potential and with some re-routes and redesign it WILL be sweet. I have suggested some re-routes for this trail to make it more rider friendly and more sustainable. The area thru the ranch already has a new trail flagged and will be part of more sweet rideable singletrack coming to Pine.... Being a part of this inaugural event will be epic... and seeing changes and improvements to the riding in Pine will be very rewarding. Please get the word out to support this event. If you are interested in trail building, racing, or just like the outdoors this is a very cool thing that is beginning. It will only get better.........

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great song!!! should have this playing as the riders line up for the gun....... still a few deadheads left, I bet Bob Weir would be a good mountain biker.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    I pre-rode the course today as well. Didn't have as hard a time as Mike, but will tell you it is no creampuff. I clocked just over 2000' of climbing...about 800' of it right out of the gate..reminiscent of Skull Valley. I'm with Tacobeer on the downhill...it is a steep double track quad trail, with lots of crossovers, and can get away from you fast...expect some carnage. Miles 12 and 13 are pretty technical and will require your full attention. Should be fun!

You folks signed up for the 45 will have your hands full...sickos!
    Would you say it's comparable in difficulty/completion time to the Whiskey 50? I'm trying to get the nutrition/hydration dialed in.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm looking forward to the 45 then a cooldown lap after.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bam29er View Post
    Would you say it's comparable in difficulty/completion time to the Whiskey 50? I'm trying to get the nutrition/hydration dialed in.

Thanks!
    Bam29er, I'd say the 45 mile option will be very comparable if not more demanding than the Whiskey 50 in effort. Doing the 800' climb on Hardscrabble out 3 times, will be very much like the Skull Valley effort, but broken up. The thing is, this ride keeps changing and you won't be able to settle in. Your third time around through the tech section is going to be a real test. I figure the times will be similar to the Whiskey.

Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr View Post
    I'm looking forward to the 45 then a cooldown lap after.
    The sick thing is, you probably are not even joking...my over and under for you on this race is about a 3:40...tear it up

Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Yes, the section is technical but ....... and the logs suck ......but this ain't a road race. I will be meeting with the committee in early August to plann next years race... building trail and building it correctly takes hugo-time ...The section of trail from Strawberry to Pine has huge potential and with some re-routes and redesign it WILL be sweet. I have suggested some re-routes for this trail to make it more rider friendly and more sustainable. The area thru the ranch already has a new trail flagged and will be part of more sweet rideable singletrack coming to Pine.... Being a part of this inaugural event will be epic... and seeing changes and improvements to the riding in Pine will be very rewarding. Please get the word out to support this event. If you are interested in trail building, racing, or just like the outdoors this is a very cool thing that is beginning. It will only get better.........
    Shame you want to change an already great trail (Strawberry to Pine). it's the best part of the entire trail as it is now.

Question? is there an official feed zone or can we have hand offs anywhere on the course? I know I'll be out of water after the first lap but if we can have hand offs anywhere that would help a lot. my back is only 70oz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    is this course more or less technical than whiskey 50? how loose is it compared to whiskey 50?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know there will be at least one stocked aid station out on course and a feed zone at the Start/Finish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Food and Drink

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Question? is there an official feed zone or can we have hand offs anywhere on the course? I know I'll be out of water after the first lap but if we can have hand offs anywhere that would help a lot. my back is only 70oz.
    As I understand there will be 6 aide/water stations throughout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Mashin in Pine SON!

Pre-rode today 7-31 and the course was awesome! Yes! it had climbing (its in the MOUNTAINS, yes it had tricky descents(its in the mountains) and yes it has erosion bars or "log drops" but nothing to throw you over the bars unless your chewing on your handlbars to get a better view on the way down. Its no pemberton loop but who has two thumbs that wants to ride pemberton...NOT this guy! If you answered yes to the last question and you don't have platform pedals and a dirtbike helmet on then you should sell your bike and buy a rhino for you and your wife...just sayin. Tell your mtn biking friends that this course is awesome and tooootally worth the trip!!
    "Hold on baby Jesus, this is gonna get bumpy" Ricky Bobby

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZcranker View Post
    Its no pemberton loop but who has two thumbs that wants to ride pemberton...NOT this guy! If you answered yes to the last question and you don't have platform pedals and a dirtbike helm
    AZCranker,

As I said up front, I'm fairly new to the sport. I'm not at the level as many of you! Did you want me to the guy pushing up the hill when you're trying to pass?

Give me some credit for trying it out at least. I want other people like myself to know what they're getting into.

Not everyone came out of the womb jumping boulders. I have a life, a job, and a family, so I can't go out 5 times a week like some of you!

And for the record, I ride Candy 2 pedals, a Giro Xar Helmet, on a Trek Liquid.

Give a guy a break!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    The sick thing is, you probably are not even joking...my over and under for you on this race is about a 3:40...tear it up
    Thanks man but we'll see. I took a week off after the state finals to rest and get some warranty work done on the machine and it's taken me up until this week to begin to feel fit again. Regardless I'll be out there hammering with everything I can muster. This is going to be a great event in a great town and if any of you aren't planning on racing you should come up anyway to cheer us on and have fun. Payson has a great Italian restaurant, Gerardo's Firewood Cafe, that's where I'll be fueling up the night before. Pine has some great places to eat and at least one good ice-cream shop that I know of and some good antique stores too.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    I'd rather race DH. But.... since there's no dh races in this state, I think I might try this one out. Should be a blast.

AZCranker,

As I said up front, I'm fairly new to the sport. I'm not at the level as many of you! Did you want me to the guy pushing up the hill when you're trying to pass?

Give me some credit for trying it out at least. I want other people like myself to know what they're getting into.

Not everyone came out of the womb jumping boulders. I have a life, a job, and a family, so I can't go out 5 times a week like some of you!

And for the record, I ride Candy 2 pedals, a Giro Xar Helmet, on a Trek Liquid.

Give a guy a break!
    I hear ya and you are right. For someone who doesn't ride a lot it is going to be very tough, first you have the big ass hill which should put the hurt on all but the fastest roadies at heart, then the end which will destroy those roadies. I am concerned that too many people will have to walk that last three miles in turn making me walk, there is no room for passing. The big hill will hurt even more on the second lap, I don't think I can do a third lap so to anyone who is doing it, my hats off to you.

Wait, what am I saying. I meant to say it's an easy course, those who signed up for the 30 mile you should ask to move up to the 45 mile. it's not that bad, please sign up for the 45. if not it's too tough and you should sign up for the 15 mile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm doing the 45 miler. Good warm up for the Barn Burner!!! Will be very tough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Great to hear more folks comin' up to Pine-y woods to race/ride .....depending on fitness.. to the newbies to the sport ... keep riding you'll get there ... to dhmental ... downhill has some nice tech sections to give a little dh practice............. becareful on first lap .. rains could change things ... as far as passing on downhill ... ya that could be a problem ..(Tacobeer) but you should be ahead of the slower riders... Good luck to all!!! If you can support the Rimside Grill .. Tamara and Steve are very cool and are doing huge work to make this race happen... and got New Belgium to sponsor .... go buy a dinner from 'em... : - )

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I'm gettin' in on this. Sounds like good times. 30 big ones for me, please.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Great to hear more folks comin' up to Pine-y woods to race/ride .....depending on fitness.. to the newbies to the sport ... keep riding you'll get there ... to dhmental ... downhill has some nice tech sections to give a little dh practice............. becareful on first lap .. rains could change things ... as far as passing on downhill ... ya that could be a problem ..(Tacobeer) but you should be ahead of the slower riders... Good luck to all!!! If you can support the Rimside Grill .. Tamara and Steve are very cool and are doing huge work to make this race happen... and got New Belgium to sponsor .... go buy a dinner from 'em... : - )
    Did you say Beer? You should have mentioned that earlier, you could have got 60 more participants with this alone.
    I am getting more excited about this event, any course that kicked my butt this bad on a pre-ride will do this. I don't look forward to it raining hard but a little rain will be good, otherwise it will be a slopfest and everyone will be walking/sliding the decending parts. You think?
    Rimside grill will get some of my business this day. I also will check out the pasta place in Payson on Friday night. after all this talk, my luck I'll crash on the last three miles. good luck to all, I think we'll need it.

Sounds like you have the inside scoop on this event, any idea how many signed up so far?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast