Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Fire On The Rim Endurance Mountain Bike Race August 6th Pine, Arizona

I don't know if this race has been plugged on MTBR or not. If not, the communities of Pine/Strawberry, Arizona have teamed up with the MBAA to host an endurance mountain bike race on August 6th called Fire on the Rim. You can find them online at www.fireontherim.com

It'll be a good course that offers a lot of climbing up and over Strawberry Mountain and a sweet singletrack descent from Strawberry down into Pine (the Pine/Strawberry Trail has been completely overhauled in the last 4-6 weeks). I believe the race will be 15, 30, and 45 miles in length. You can solo the race or enter as a 3-person team.

What's even better about this race is that it is a precursor for a new non-motorized, singletrack trail system in and around Pine and Strawberry. Hopefully in the next 1-2 years new singletrack will be built, and Pine and Strawberry will become a real hotspot for mountain bikers in Arizona.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me, or contact the race directly off their website!

Cheers!

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looks like a great event. My wife and I are already booked that weekend but otherwise we would be there...maybe next year. Good luck.

mtbr member
    The wife and I will be up there racing. It'll be a great warm up for barn burner.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Kathleen in AZ
    Looks like a fun event and I love the idea of new singletrack in that area, but what a regrettable name for the race!!

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^^No joke....I thought that too. But the idea of folks throwing money down to do thinning projects around town is a great idea. Continuing on the theme, here is a little "Fire on the Mountain" for you 4/27/77

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    ^^^^No joke....I thought that too. But the idea of folks throwing money down to do thinning projects around town is a great idea. Continuing on the theme, here is a little "Fire on the Mountain" for you 4/27/77

I've had this song in my head all a.m., after seeing the post's subject.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Maad you hit the nail on the coffin with the Dead song.

The core group of people who are making this race and any future singletrack happen are part of the Pine-Strawberry Fuel Reduction Board. They've raised lots of money and awareness over the years for creating a fuel break and for thinning parts of the forest in that region. Their original goal for this race was to create a fundraiser that would go towards reducing the dangers of wildland fires in Pine and Strawberry, but they took that goal to the next level by wanting to turn Pine and Strawberry into a future mountain biking destination.

When they mentioned to me they were looking for a name for this race, they said it had to say fire in the name somewhere. The Grateful Dead's Fire on the Mountain immediately came to my mind, and it was my suggestion to name it Fire on the Mountain, but they changed it to Fire on the Rim!

mtbr member
    Mick, thanks for posting this up. I'll be heading back from Oklahoma with the family that week, but plan on stoping off in Payson Friday, and racing the 30 miler on Saturday.

Is the course pre-ridable yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Great to hear you're going to do the race! Give Scott Davidson full props. He and a bunch of volunteers knew the Forest may close down due to fire dangers, so they went out in May and June and did a bunch of trail maintenance (even laying down some new singletrack on the north side of Strawberry Mountain). They got the course in primo shape (especially the Pine/Strawberry Trail). It is all rideable, but the forest has been closed for a couple of weeks now though. Hopefully the strong start to the monsoon season will re-open the forest, and the course will be open to ride ASAP! See you there!

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    I've had this song in my head all a.m., after seeing the post's subject.
    Here's the song it put in my head, another meaning of MTB:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e71N7EhaGA

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Who wants to pre-ride?

I'm planning on going up to Pine (from Chandler) on the July 30th to pre-ride the trail. Does anyone want to carpool that day?? Please let me know.

- Mike

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Several questions;
    1) I thought part of the course is on Private property, will this owner let us pre-ride and will the new trails be open to the puplic or is there plans to re-route it later.

2) where can we camp for free that is near by, I see listings on the site for many hotels and permit area's and i know of plenty of camping area's for free but not close. I am hoping but doubting we can sleep over night at the venue itself in the parking lot.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

re: Pre-Ride

According to the website, you can pre-ride on the 23rd or the 30th.

I don't think I want to camp. I never sleep good on the ground. I think I might just get up early and drive fast up there. I can get to Payson in about an hour and half from my house. So I figure if I leave by about 4:30am I should be in good shape. I might get a room. Looks like most hotels are about $110 for the night. My riding buddy might come too, so we'd split the cost.

The closest places to camp that would be good would be Christopher Creek, which is about 20 to 30 miles away. There's a good chance it'll rain the night before, so are you going in a RV or Tent??

There should be some places just North of Pine off 87 as well. It kind of depends if the forest is open or not. They had it closed a couple of weekends ago, but I imagine since we've had a lot of rain up there, it should be open now.

Again, if anyone wants to go ride it on the 30th, let me know. I want to run through twice just to be familiar with it.

- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Several questions;
    1) I thought part of the course is on Private property, will this owner let us pre-ride and will the new trails be open to the puplic or is there plans to re-route it later.

2) where can we camp for free that is near by, I see listings on the site for many hotels and permit area's and i know of plenty of camping area's for free but not close. I am hoping but doubting we can sleep over night at the venue itself in the parking lot.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I keep it simple for an event like this, I sleep in the back of my truck so all I need is room for my truck and a toilet close by. I was going to go up Friday night sleep over race then go home but I see there are other things going on over the weekend and I wanted to stay longer. This trip is costing too much as it is, I didn't budget this event in my plans for the year.
    Here's the kicker, my mother in law has a cabin in Strawberry but it's being totally remodeled and out of use right now, of all times for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinaz View Post
    According to the website, you can pre-ride on the 23rd or the 30th.

I don't think I want to camp. I never sleep good on the ground. I think I might just get up early and drive fast up there. I can get to Payson in about an hour and half from my house. So I figure if I leave by about 4:30am I should be in good shape. I might get a room. Looks like most hotels are about $110 for the night. My riding buddy might come too, so we'd split the cost.

The closest places to camp that would be good would be Christopher Creek, which is about 20 to 30 miles away. There's a good chance it'll rain the night before, so are you going in a RV or Tent??

There should be some places just North of Pine off 87 as well. It kind of depends if the forest is open or not. They had it closed a couple of weekends ago, but I imagine since we've had a lot of rain up there, it should be open now.

Again, if anyone wants to go ride it on the 30th, let me know. I want to run through twice just to be familiar with it.

- Mike
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cool new event with a good cause - Hub will be up there timing this one. Get some miles on new stuff, what more can you ask for....fine...cooler temps too.

mtbr member
    Sounds cool! I wish I had more notice so I could actually train for it. I'd really like to attend maybe next year...
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Training

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbrown View Post
    Sounds cool! I wish I had more notice so I could actually train for it. I'd really like to attend maybe next year...
    TrainShmain, it's only 15 miles!! Come on, you can do it, not like it's a marathon! I do 15 miles almost every weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think I am actually going to get out from behind the registration table and race this one. It will also be my son's first MTB race, he has been riding a MTB a couple times a week since school got out. All the skills in the world from BMX trails and dirt jumping but I think the climbing is going to kill him

Tucson, AZ
    Looks like a great event.

DCB
    I'll be there... doctor said something about no mountain biking for 6 months... what he doesn't know won't hurt him...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Pre-ride

Anybody pre-ride today? Any feedback on the course???

A plethora of pinatas
    AZ DEVO / MBAA MTB Skills Clinic for Beginner to Intermediate Riders

Join the AZ Devo Junior/U23 Development Team and the MBAA for a free mountain bike skills clinic for riders OF ALL AGES at the Fire on the Rim Event in Pine/Strawberry, AZ on 8/6/11. The clinic will begin at 2:30 PM. Arizona's Top CAT 1 Junior/U23 racers and Coach Darrin Permenter will be teaching a variety of skills to riders. Be sure and be prepared to have fun and learn some great skills to use in your next ride or race. This clinic is for riders 9 to 99 years old and all participants must bring their own bike and helmet. All participants must sign a waiver to attend this clinic on race day at the AZ Devo team tent.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    im registered. it will be my first xc race, im a dh rider so it will be a new experience. from the pictures it looks fairly techy, kinda like some of the trail around pinetop. im excited for it!

mtbr member
    whats the food and beer situation like at this?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast