Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fire On The Rim - Big Thanks

933 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cstem 
#1 ·
I would like to take a minute to thank all the racers, their families and friends, and sponsors for making this years Fire On the Rim mtb race a huge success. What a great group of people that congregated in our little hamlet this past weekend. Even the Saturday afternoon shower was a welcomed unexpected event. The highlight for me was the kids races..... I'm glad I'm old and won't be racing against any of those gearheads anytime soon. All of the money collected will be spent on local trail events. We, in Pine, are looking forward to expanding our trail system to make your riding experiences memorable...:band::band:.
PS - Hey cstem and tacobeer know that you have a place to bunk 512 feet from the trail if you ever have a hankering for rode trip, some biking, and a cold beer... :thumbsup:

#3 ·
It was certainly a great event. Here are some highlights, for me at least 1. Very well run 2. The people of Pine were fantastic 3. Free camping on site 4. Nice course to ride 5. Fantastic music and lots of it. While Roger Clyne is hard to beat, the lineup of bands FOTR had was excellent and they played forever!!! 6. Great pre ride meal that was delicious and reasonably priced. 7. Lastly, very reasonably priced entry and best of all the money benefited the community, rather than company profit. We will definitely be back, keep up the good work FOTR!

#7 ·
Great event. Thanks for putting so much work into the Race and all of the trails. My whole family had a great time. This was my 2nd race and I hope to race this one every year. Pine is such a cool town, and having miles of singletrack has elevated it to my summer escape.

To answer some of the questions you asked:

(1) Course Improvement: I like the course the way it is. It's nice to have a big climb at the start to separate the pack. My only complaint was getting stuck behind an oblivious SUV on the descent after finishing the climb up Hardscrabble. When I tried to pass, the SUV almost hit me. I was surprised the roads weren't closed at least for the morning. After that encounter with the SUV, I was a little stressed going through the neighborhoods, as I wasn't sure which roads would have cars driving on them. It would just be nice to know one way or other other whether roads are closed or not.
(2) Questionnaires: I would find a better way to interview the riders following the race. Most of us are just excited to finish and we want to celebrate with family and friends, or cheer the racers finishing right after us. We don't want to immediately submit to an interview while we're still out of breath. Even after I answered the questionnaire, I was interrupted another 3-4 times by someone trying to re-interview me. I also like to be able to shake hands with the other riders who finish close to me and didn't get the chance. When I tried to congratulate a friend after he finished, we were immediately interrupted, literally before my friend could even get off his bike.

That said, it was a great time and I'm truly grateful for the efforts of everyone who volunteered to make it happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.