Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fire on the Rim 2015 Event Roll Call- It's not too early or late!

8K views 85 replies 26 participants last post by  90minIPA 
#1 ·
The annual Fire on the Rim event is coming up soon! Picture it- a beautiful venue with trees and cool breezes within walking distance of Pine-Strawberry AZ (and That Brewery!), ultra cool locals helping out (they appreciate we are there and it shows in their action), family friendly, food trucks on site ALL WEEKEND, beer garden ALL WEEKEND, live music, a kids club all day Race day,and a killer 15 mile loop course with 1,2, or 3 laps. AND it all benefits the clearing of fuels that forest fires feed on (ever rode trail on a burned out husk of land-it sucks dog nuts).

September 11th is the date, this is the link. If you wanted to do or have done the Whiskey because of the course or the cool MTB vibe, but were turned off by the price or visions of conga line hike a bike on flat terrain- this will fix that. No lines. Cheap entry. Good vibes. What else do you want? They might have it or will try it next year.

This will be my third year going, and I cannot wait. I have said it before, but I have held and attended easily 1000 events and races and this is still my favorite (even over the ones I managed!!!!). Its laid back, and only a race if you want it to be.

If you have any questions ask them here and I will find the answer for you. I do not work for this event (okay I did announce the awards twice for a race entry and a beer-but this year I am just a participant and fan) so some of the answers may take a day or two to find.

Dirtbyte, Tacobeer, and I are in for sure and camping all weekend. Douger, Sugarhigh and others are pretty much in again I heard last. We make a little fun compound at the campsite and invite all to attend.

See less See more
#12 ·
Slight correction

Thanks for the race plug cstem.. I do have to make one slight correction which should get EVERYONE to enter, regardless if they even come up to Pine for this great event. The correction is that every dime goes toward building trails. The trails revenue does fall under the "Fuel Reduction" umbrella but is a separate entity. Monies for trails "only" goes for trails. We are doing are darndest to get things done but need $$$$$$....... to speed this process in some very unforgiving terrain. Our small trail group is able to build 100' to 300' of trail each trail day event (now 2 X's/month). If we can hire professionals they work 6 days a week and can, if necessary, use mechanized equipment to get the job done much more efficiently. I am proud of the work our Pine crew has completed to date but we need help. If you would like to be a "Sponsor":D:D and/or donate PLEASE contact Janet Brandt through the Pine/Strawberry Fuel Reduction website. Our goal is to raise $40,000.00 from this years race. No money goes in anyone's pocket.

So, in closing, even if you don't know how to ride a bike by signing up for the race you will be impacting the quality of life in Pine, AZ. If anyone would like a bike/hike tour of what we are doing the Pine area(completed and uncompleted work) please contact me. I am more than happy to be your Sherpa guide. We had 277 paid entrants last year and would like to see 400 this year... so come up, camp, drink beer, and be a part of an "old school" event that will roll your socks down.
The vid may give you a taste of what this event is like.......

[video=youtube;WT3LYq5zV-A]
[/video]

Attachments

#15 ·
I might be in for a pre ride very soon and it may be a week day. PM me a number to reach you at and I will definitely ride and buy you a bev and app at That Brewery after!

#44 ·
I have owned a cabin in Pine for 15 years now and rode up Hardscrabble Road for the first time a weekend or two after we the bought the place. It kicked my butt that first time and has done so over and over again over the years. I wondered if it was maybe just me, simply just being too out of shape. It has been nice to find out that Hardscrabble Road kicks just about everyone's butt.

#46 ·
Now try it on a single speed! Hardscrabble makes this course a tough one for me, I have to either gear so I can spin up that damn road or walk it and ride faster around the rest of the course. I find spinning up faster than walking and I would loose a lot more time overall if walking. Plus I can say I'm spinning too much when others pass me. ha!

#47 ·
I'm signed up. This will be my first MTB race and I'll be doing the 45 on my SS. Wife and kiddo might come up, might not. Looking forward to it, friends that do it every year say it's a blast.

And by the way, I'll be dead last. Don't underestimate my ability to hold up the end =)

#52 ·
If I can get up to Payson early enough on Friday, I'd like to ride from there up to Pine and the camping area following the AZTR750 route. Would anyone be willing to drive me back to Payson to retrieve my car on Friday afternoon?? I'd rather not ride the 13 or so miles back to Payson on AZ87. Might as well knock out some scouting while up in the area. I'd really appreciate it and would gladly repay the deed in suds.

#53 ·
I'm not sure when I will be heading up there on Friday but I'd be glad to help you out if I'm there. I will know more the closer it gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.