mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Fire one the Rim SS question (Gearing)

For those of you who have raced the Fire on the Rim on a Single Speed, what was your gearing? I currently have a 33x20 and I'm thinking it might be too stiff.

Fire On The Rim Mountain Bike Race

mtbr member

Fire one the Rim SS question (Gearing)

I normally ride a SS, but had to ride the Anthem last year because of a last minute mechanical. That said, there was stuff on lap two I had to walk, which was humbling. (I *think* I rode all the ups on lap one, including Hardscrabble.)

That said, I currently ride 32x20, and I'd venture to say 33x20 might be too steep if you are doing more than one lap. (I did two laps last year.) I'd recommend going down to a 21 or 22, unless you're fine walking some. If you're doing one lap, you might be fine.

BTW, I'm assuming you're on. 29er?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I pre-rode the course today. Man that was tough. It was hard last year on my FS, but a SS makes it that much more challenging. I'm definitely going to gear down to 32x21. I'm going to switch gears and ride it again next weekend.

Hopefully the ground drys out before the race. Coming down the the backside, after the water tower, was a muddy mess. My tires looked like Fat Tires from all the mud. It was no bueno.

I compared my Strava time to last years race results and I'm about 10 minutes behind what I did last year. I guess I need to train more.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    First year I did 32x20t and the second lap does hurt and makes the final single track back to the finish a little tough.
    Last year I tried 32x21t but was soo hung over and no food that there was no possible granny gear that could help me and I walk the most simple sections because of it. (I didn't throw up during the race but would have felt better if I had)
    I think if you're in good shape 32x19t for one lap would be the way to go, 32x20t for two laps and of course up one more if doing three laps. if not in shape go up one for each.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

I did the three lap version last year. Ran 32x20. Did plenty of walking on Hardscrabble, but then so did the gearies.I don't think you want to gear just for that climb - simply resign yourself to the fact that its going to hurt.

Enjoy the race!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I switched from 33x20 to 32x21. Today I shaved 30 minutes off of last weeks time. I'm feeling much better about racing the SS next week.

mtbr member
    it will be interesting to see the condition of this course now... sheesh...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    it will be interesting to see the condition of this course now... sheesh...
    I'd venture to say that if the course does not dry by race day, they will need to postpone or cancel. Unlike Phoenix, the trails up there don't fare well in the rain. I tried to preride it last year in a light drizzle, and I was unable to even push my bike because of the death mud.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It's been raining very consistently in Payson today. I pre-rode the loop last week and the backside of the course was fairly muddy. If this keeps up it's going to be a whole different kind of race.

mtbr member
    aevanlloyd,

Are you running fully rigid or do you have some squish up front? Which race are you doing (15, 30, or 45)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got a 80mm fork. I'll be doing one lap, but at my pace I would not call it racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    I've got a 80mm fork. I'll be doing one lap, but at my pace I would not call it racing.
    Sweet see you there! Hopefully, it won't rain too much- that backside could get a little mucky!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Between the water tank and the road in Strawberry will be a mess. I think the single track will be okay. Either way it will be a blast.