Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fire One The Rim course survey/suggestions/etc..... no beer talk

810 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  RajunCajun44 
#1 ·
The local Pine trail crew has spent much time working on the race course. Most of our work has been focused on Trail 15 (Pine/Strawberry Trail) and the track through the ranch (private land). Some changes have been made to the course. I was wondering if those people whom have ridden the course in the past and have pre-rode the course this year would compare and comment on course conditions, changes, trail experience, etc. so that we could plan future work events to make our race course challenging, fun, and memorable. Thanks:thumbsup: in advance for each of your comments.

#2 ·
I have always liked the course the way it is... but I am an unusual American...

In a country like Colombia where mt biking is more popular ( percentage wise) , there is very little singletrack and they love their "trails".... as they should...

I think I may have talked with you yesterday by the barn... SO you may know who I am... I had just finished preriding the course a few times...

What is really funny is that I came down hardscrabble for the first time yesterday.. and I never realized how awesome a view it is up there at the top... you know all I have done is suffer on that hill... and for once I stopped to smell the roses, and enjoy the ride... that view is awesome..

#3 ·
I pre-rode the course over the weekend. All except the ranch area. I did go backwards up the course to fence and turned around to hit that down hill though. As for course conditions... Well I would love to avoid Hardscrabble road climb on laps 2 & 3. Climbing trail 15 is so much better and I almost though It would go to the top. I can see climbing the road on lap 1 as you need to separate the field. Other that I have nothing to add as I have not raced on this course so I can't say how it will race.

#5 ·
JoePaz,
Man would I love to avoid Hardscrabble for all multiple lap riders..... wouldn't some singetrack in place of that climb be nice...... it's in the brainstorming stage but it may happen at some future date.... imagine staying on trail 15 and working your way up to the top of Strawberry Mountain.....

#6 ·
Love the race, this is the 2nd year I did it... I made an effort to try to think of things I did not like... it's really hard to come up with things... but I finally found some...

Last year I did one lap, this year I finished 3 laps.

1) This year was f-ing HOT. Stock the aid stations with enough water and some ice. Some aid stations ran out of water and the water that was left was hot. Like drinking tea. I don't know how much more money it would be to have at least one bag of ice to at least keep the water somewhat cool. But, I would be willing to pay for all the ice out of my own pocket next year. It's really bad when the 3 lappers have to deal with the problem of no water and on their last lap.

2) There was 15 persons that registered (before thusrday) in my category. And I only saw 10 that finished. I have a feeling there were quite a few DNFs in the 3 lap. It would be nice to know how many per category. So I have a realistic idea of how I placed.

THANKS for a great event. Best race that I know of.

#8 ·
an idea from a landscaping company I used to work for... cheap way to get cold water... take a used gallon jug (of whatever) fill it with water... freeze it... take one of those large plastic water coolers and fill it with water and put the frozen jug in there... use cups...

very cheap way to have cold water for everyone on a hot day... you would just need some of these..
Amazon.com: Coleman 5 Gallon Beverage Cooler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.