mtbr member

FINS Question(s)...

Before I go out there and make an arse of myself, I thought I'd ask you folks who have been to FINS or helped build it...

A) Are the jumps integral to the flow of the trails? Or are there bypasses so that I can just go around them?
    B) Will I be shamed if I don't try them?
    C) Should I just stay in my comfort zone and away from FINS?

I really want to go out and ride all the fast and flowy stuff and the berms, but I've never tried jumps, and not sure I really need to start now in my 30's. The trails look like a total blast, though, and like nothing I've ever ridden before, so I'd love to head out and play around.
    Thanks!
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard View Post
    Before I go out there and make an arse of myself, I thought I'd ask you folks who have been to FINS or helped build it...

A) Are the jumps integral to the flow of the trails? Or are there bypasses so that I can just go around them?
    C) Should I just stay in my comfort zone and away from FINS?

I really want to go out and ride all the fast and flowy stuff and the berms, but I've never tried jumps, and not sure I really need to start now in my 30's. The trails look like a total blast, though, and like nothing I've ever ridden before, so I'd love to head out and play around.
    Thanks!
    I went out there for the first time on Sunday, and FINS is a must ride for any mountain biker. It's a friggin blast. I''m not sure what trails I missed, and I'm not sure if I "saw" all the jumps, but the ones I did see, you can either go around them, or scrub some speed and just roll over them. But they are nothing to be scared of. I typically like to keep my wheels on the ground too, but some of the jumps were just fun. The bike pretty much jumps itself.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I went out there for the first time on Sunday, and FINS is a must ride for any mountain biker. It's a friggin blast. I''m not sure what trails I missed, and I'm not sure if I "saw" all the jumps, but the ones I did see, you can either go around them, or scrub some speed and just roll over them. But they are nothing to be scared of. I typically like to keep my wheels on the ground too, but some of the jumps were just fun. The bike pretty much jumps itself.
    Most of FINS is jump-less. Listen, I pretty much have zero skills and went down Kimurel's Hurl for the first time last weekend. Didn't fall, just scrubbed speed when I needed to. After a couple of runs however, it hard not to want to do the jumps. But you're not being forced.

The one trail that I did find difficult was another new trail called Shooting Star. It's steep, loose, fun...I had to walk at least two sections. Need to learn how to ride a bike. The rest is mostly XCish. It's pretty low pressure. It's not like there are gangs of roving thugs with full face helmets armored up chugging Monster and laughing at all the newbs. There's actually more Lycra than anything out there.

Last weekend, there was another rider (slightly older than I) that had to help a younger lad (13ish, with a full face helmet) out with a flat tire on his WalMartish mountain bike. No Slime, no patches....had to pass some wisdom about desert riding down to the younger generation.

Just Joshin' ya!
    FINS is for everyone...don't worry about it.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    There is always a bypass. You will love the trails!

Pivotal figure
    Easy as pie man! Nothing out there will leave you with a soiled chammy. I'm 45 so the old man excuse doesn't quite work with me
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I started riding when I was 38, and I jump everything I see lol. The jumps there are not big at all, so no worries!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys! Now I'm pumped to get out there as soon as I can!

mtbr member
    Go. Ride. Repeat. You'll love it. FINS is worth the trip, even from Gold Canyon.
    "Bicycling...is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds." Louis Halle

No Clue Crew
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Just to repeat what everyone said, all the jumps are totally fine. There are 2 drops that I could see some wanting to avoid. If you go all the way up to the top to get to shooting star, but go down northstar instead, there are a few drops before it links with exposure that some might find sketchy. The rest is just golden.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna head out tomorrow morning, finicky rear derailleur and all. So the next question, i guess, is what are the best routes? I'm looking at the photo of the trail map sign, wondering where to start! I'm gonna try to ride as much as i can in 2-3 hours.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna head out tomorrow morning, finicky rear derailleur and all. So the next question, i guess, is what are the best routes? I'm looking at the photo of the trail map sign, wondering where to start! I'm gonna try to ride as much as i can in 2-3 hours.
    Yea, good luck with that. There are trails all over the place, and each trail is really short (like maybe half a mile?). My recommendation is to just start riding. I'm guessing you could cover everything easily in 3 hours. It's not that large of an area.

I parked at the Weststar Elementary, and then took Weststar west to the TH.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I have a good-friend coming down from Preskitt tomorrow w/5 friends to finally try F.I.N.S.

They're meeting here at Harv's Domain (My-Place) between 9:30 -- 10:00.

I want to show them all of F.I.N.S. - including Shooting-Star.
    * Yeah, I kinda' organized Shooting-Star getting cut-in, and it SCARS ME! I think I've been down it twice since we cut it in months and months ago.

Next, today (Friday the 11th) is 5 weeks since I had-surgery "Down-There" to cut-out a sebatious-cyst. Yeah, total drag; but the worst part is this was the Fouth F-ing TIME for this! AAAaaarrrrggghhhhh!!
    So point is = After we get done riding F.I.N.S., I'd like to show the-group "the-other-trails" that are miles and miles from F.I.N.S.
    IF interested, be HERE by 9:30-ish tomorrow morning.
    Harv's Domain =
    11288 S. Indian Wells Dr.
    Goodyear, AZ 85338

Start and Stripes always flying, as is DON'T TREAD ON ME -- and also have the Packer Flag up too as we have the Niners tomorrrow night up in Candlestick. Go Pack GO!!!
    Harv's Cell = (623) 256-3993

Ciao'
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

No Clue Crew
    Take a picture of the map at the trailhead with your phone for reference. There are signs here and there but I found that some of them are not 100% helpful. It's certainly hard to get lost in such a small area but referencing the map now and again helps.