Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

FINS Kimurel's Hurl

Another great ride out at FINS. Great job on the new track guys. Kimurel's Hurl is awesome. I biffed it twice on the last jump off the end of the burm though. I guess I just need more practice on the jumps. Anyway, I can't wait to get out there again.

Pivotal figure

Work day pix!

A couple of us from GROAZ headed out to help out with the trail work on Saturday. It was a LOT of work but the final results are pretty solid. It's crazy to think just how much effort it took to build that trail since they had it almost completely built but it still took all day with a large crew & plenty of tools to finish up the wood features. Can't wait to see how it's received by the local riders. For us it was valuable learning experience just seeing how things came together on the construction side as well as how to deal with the less glamorous details like drainage. Here are a few pics I shot. I still can't believe they let me take the inaugural run down the completed trail. That's a huge honor in my book...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FINS Kimurel's Hurl-kimh1.jpg  

FINS Kimurel's Hurl-kimh2.jpg  

FINS Kimurel's Hurl-kimh3.jpg  

FINS Kimurel's Hurl-kimh4.jpg  

FINS Kimurel's Hurl-kimh5.jpg  

Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Just down the street from my house. Looks pretty bad ass! Where abouts is it on the trail? Very nice work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daugela View Post
    Just down the street from my house. Looks pretty bad ass! Where abouts is it on the trail? Very nice work.
    It is right at the bottom of Starr pass/North Star. I runs kinda parallel to Harve's Howl.

mtbr member
    Just curious, What's the reason for putting wood on the trail ? Is it routed over something ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Very Very Cool , Thanks to all at GROAZ !

Pivotal figure
    Just to clarify, us GROAZ peeps were only there for the final build day. The local trail crew did all the building here, we just came in at the last bit to help out wherever they needed. As for all the wood, the double berm feature is on top of the natural drainage route so any sort of earthen feature would be impossible to maintain, not to mention the very loose & rocky soil conditions in the area. It was a TON of work getting all the forms in place but I think it'll be worth it in the long run since this structure should be able to withstand a few seasons of the AZ sun & monsoon without any major upkeep needed. They are planning on coating the wood with a non-slip paint so that will extend the life even more.

mtbr member
    My goodness that came out nice. Looking forward to riding it. The hard work is appreciated.

Just another half mile...
    I just donít see why wooden structures are needed in the desert. We donít have the live stream crossings, marshes and other year round wetlands that would require wood structures to bridge over. To me putting wood structures in the desert is like putting pavement down and there is no challenge in that. There are plenty of other trail building technics that could have been used instead of building a wooden structure, even down the drainage, which is not an ideal place to route a trail anyway, wood or not.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Way to pi$$ on someone else's hard work and effort to build something cool and unusual.

mtbr member
    ^^^Yea, I don't see the issue.

Sent using my fat thumbs!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    I just donít see why wooden structures are needed in the desert. We donít have the live stream crossings, marshes and other year round wetlands that would require wood structures to bridge over. To me putting wood structures in the desert is like putting pavement down and there is no challenge in that. There are plenty of other trail building technics that could have been used instead of building a wooden structure, even down the drainage, which is not an ideal place to route a trail anyway, wood or not.
    I doubt that this feature was built because it was "needed".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Because its FUN.

Who says there always needs to be a "challenge?"

There are plenty of climbs and challenging options on the same trail system.

Can't riding mountain bikes be fun, and sometimes fast? Speed increases challenge btw.

If you don't like it, don't ride it. Also- of you haven't ridden it, don't complain about it.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    That looks like a lot of fun!! In my opinion it's essentially a feature. Sure, it's not needed but adds something different to the trail.

Are features needed at lift access mountain bike resorts? No
    Are features fun at lift access mountain bike resorts? Yes

So, to me it's nice to see a feature on an Arizona trail. Besides Sunrise.

Is there a teeter totter in the works?
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    There is a teeter totter at the entrance as well. Great trail system, and great people keeping it maintained.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    doesn't anyone on the west side own a go pro? we need some footage.

mtbr member
    I have some footage recorded but my computer took a dump. So, I have no way to save or edit it. Sorry!

EDR
    With land owners O.K. I think it's great. No reason why every single trail ever built in the desert must be desert floor only. That's a fairly myopic viewpoint imo.. Fun is fun. I'm pretty sure the folks who ride the wood and berms out at NRA think it's fun.

Fun trails and fun features built for the sake of fun have their place. I'm hoping to see more where permitted. Great job all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    doesn't anyone on the west side own a go pro? we need some footage.
    Once I fix my stupid wheel I will record a few runs. There are several trails there worth bragging about.

mtbr member
    From what I understand the great folks that are building and maintaining these trails do communicate and work with the land owners.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    With land owners O.K. I think it's great. No reason why every single trail ever built in the desert must be desert floor only. That's a fairly myopic viewpoint imo.. Fun is fun. I'm pretty sure the folks who ride the wood and berms out at NRA think it's fun.

Fun trails and fun features built for the sake of fun have their place. I'm hoping to see more where permitted. Great job all.
    There are now only 2 wood features at NRA..The first wood feature dubbed bridge gap was built very very early on before we did the whole look at us come have fun days and within days of building it we had heard that the rangers knew about it and weren't pleased and the word was to be passed to us thru a LBS that its not acceptable. However removal wasn't demanded but further additions were..Fast forward a few years to the creation of NWO during the somewhat poor routing we were somewhat forced to add a bridge over a wash that we just couldn't find a way to jump ..the next was in the form of a wooden booter which was pretty much the only way to make a jump at the edge of the next wash...then we pushed our luck further and built a very overbuilt 2x6 bridge with stringers 1" apart ..this was the go around for the nwo step up wash gap as it was the biggest feature on that line..Anyways that final bridge again drew attention and we were contacted to remove the bridge if we failed to do so more than the bridge would disappear . Since then we removed the bridge and replaced the bridge gap with a dirt jump . The other features are on there last leg and will also soon be removed .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    when out there the other day and damn it was awesome! sickest trail system ever! we need more like this in arizona!

My Girl friend said, " it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!"

mtbr member
    I did this on Wednesday. I just climbed Kim's Klimb and rode Kimurel's Hurl over and over and over and over and over ... lol. Great stuff guys, and I did not biff it once
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    I did this on Wednesday. I just climbed Kim's Klimb and rode Kimurel's Hurl over and over and over and over and over ... lol. Great stuff guys, and I did not biff it once
    Well that is good to hear. Rumor has it, when the wood was a bit wet, someone ate it pretty good. There will be a good fix for that soon enough.

Pivotal figure
    Cool seeing some pics after the latest bit of rain. Doesn't look like the water did anything at all to the drainage under the wood feature.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast