Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Wow

Rode this for the first time today and spoke with on of the local trail builders. This is easily on of the best trail systems in the valley,. An example of what a MTB trail system could be as opposed a hiking system. Felt like I was in disneyland for bikes. Did the hurl down a couple times The wood features are a lot of fun. Love the jumps everywhere. Perfect shape and height foe easy jumping. Truly wonderful. Just flat fun. Thanks guys for all the hard work. Dig the vulture at the top of Hurl.

mtbr member
    Kim and Mural and I are laying some Paint + Sand on the wooden-features today.

When / IF that happens, Kimurel's Hurl will be OFF LIMITS for ONE-WEEK!!!

Green Bay Packer Football game first!
    Go Pack GO!!
    Last edited by phichibri; 12-28-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Adding a name
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

bland
    It looks like I need to fire up the old subaru and head down south!

mtbr member
    I was planning on going out today and riding the trails but I got a little drunk last night. :beer: :sly:
    Sent using my fat thumbs!

Alive and Lurkin'
    In before the paint. Went out there today for 3.5 hrs and many miles of riding. Did every trail out there...some two or more times, it's lots and lots of fun!!! I have to agree with the above post, this place is Disneyland for bikes!
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hurl paint

I am guessing there will be lots of people riding over the next 2 weeks due to the holidays and no rain the in the immediate future. How critical is the paint and will it adhere to the wood? wood hate for you guys to compromise all the work you have done. I want to ride it again later this week.
    Last edited by iammemares; 12-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by iammemares View Post
    Appreciate the need to make the wood less slippery in the rain.
    I can just see the people in PNW shaking their heads at this.

mtbr member
    I have a trick... if it is wet and rainy, um dont ride the wood features lol
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    In before the paint. Went out there today for 3.5 hrs and many miles of riding. Did every trail out there...some two or more times, it's lots and lots of fun!!! I have to agree with the above post, this place is Disneyland for bikes!
    I did the same out there today for 2.5 hours. It was my first time there and I had some good times finding my way around. It did have a MTB feel to it, with signs and names for everything, kinda like Gold Canyon. The Hummurel's Hurl is fun and I sure need to work on my berm riding skills, but what I really liked and had to get to twice was Shooting Star. Coming down from the peak and weaving between the rocks, hitting those well done switchbacks was a hoot. The whole system has a lot of fun built into it. I'm looking forward to my next visit.

Shooting Star.

And Kermit.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Still no video?

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    And Kermit.
    Where was Kermit hiding? I was all over the place and missed that. It was my first time out there as well and a couple trails had me coming back for more. There was a trail that looked newer and it wasn't on the map but it was labeled on a front-side sign called Tikiman. It is very short but extremely fun with a table top and a little step down that I got some nice air on. The descent down the frontside of Jim's Star Pass was a high speed jump fest as well with the last jump giving muchos aires!! Kimurel's Hurl is fun and a nice change of place from Somo, PMP riding, but no mandatory air or whatnot so those thinking this is Northshore style are only correct in that some of the berms have wood. Hell I had wood too, it was just a damn fun day!!!
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Still no video?
    No helmet cam. Want one can't afford one
    Pumpin & Pimpin

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Still no video?
    The Hurl was closed today or I would've shot some video of it. I did get some going down Hurl but it couldn't be longer than a minute or two. The closure didn't stop the knucklehead and his two kids from walking up it but it stopped Blatant and I from descending. Besides riding every trail the hard direction, compacted with the fact that everything seems to be uphill both ways, we had a decent time.

Hurts Donut was fun going down. Not so much up.

Shooting star was fun down. Not so much up.

Everything was VERY short. Climbs were tough but had little payoff afterwards because the descent is equally short.

It would likely be more fun if we knew where we were going and which direction is best. That's one good thing about FINS in Tucson. Everything is ONE way.

It all reminded me a lot of Bootleg's XC trails. Not a big fan of the sandstone-type trails. Traction is difficult sometimes. Sometimes non-existent.

But, all in all it was fun. Rocked the teeter tottter. Still gotta return for the Hurl, though. Hopefully, the descent will be worth the climb to get to the top of it.

mtbr member
    Since you can climb Kim's Klimb, and that can be done in your sleep, it will be more than worth it. Just dont climb the hurl, because you will get run over most likely lol.
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

No Clue Crew
    Good to know the trail we need to climb although it was not as easy to navigate even with the signs here and there and a copy on my phone. Lot's of unsigned trails. Trails not on the map. And some signed trails aren't terribly clear.

Take the sign at the top of the Hurl. There is Chris Choas heading west and Straight Shot heading southwest. The sign between them and pointing forward directly in the middle of them names a couple trails. The direction the sign is indicating could be for either trail. We took the wrong one first and wound up in the Enchanted Forest. Doubled back to find Chris Choas...

The sign where Northstar branches off is BEHIND you when you stop to decide which way to go. We blazed right past it then stopped at the intersection. Didn't think to look behind us for the sign so wound up on Exposure when we wanted to take Northstar to get to Shooting Star. Wound up climbing/hiking up Shooting Star, partway figuring out that we were PROBABLY on Shooting Star and going to wrong way and then found the sign at the top to confirm.

We basically just looked at the map to find all the "Wicked" runs and not knowing what direction everything was we wound up going the wrong way...

We started out looking for Tiki Man. It was "Wicked" and has some serious switchbacks so figured it'd be good to run. According to the map they are relatively close together. I knew we needed to take the second right but we continued on Kim's Konnector/Muriel's Mile for a hundred yards or so and found no other turn off. So we assumed we missed the first one before the sign and took the the Donut up thinking it was Tiki Man.

All in all there's a sh|tton of work out there! It's nice to know something like this can actually get done somewhere. Now if we could just get some sweet downhill runs on the Estrellas, with an easy way to shuttle/lift them, Phoenix could solidify itself as an MTB destination.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Mostly have to agree with Mike. It does stink that the one time we were able to get out there, the run we most wanted to do was closed.

Overall, I had a super-fun time. To be honest, it's not really the kind of riding I personally enjoy (rocky gnar with sustained downs) and the travel distance for me (~70 minutes) is prohibitive. That said, the amount of work and love put into the system is clearly evident. If I had more than two thumbs they'd all be up in the air for the trailbuilders and workers out there.

Shows what you can do with a relatively small area and not a ton of elevation gain. Well-played, ladies and gentlemen, well-played.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Jacques and I are coming 'over' in 2 days to ride FINS and White Tanks; looking fwd to it. Hope to see some of you there. Looks like alot of recent work by a dedicated group of builders; nice to see it happening there too.
    If you want a tour of the new GC trails, hit me.darchoborne@hotmail.com. Its getting pretty sweet out there. New gravel on the soft areas of Snowbird help; we'll see if the horses leave it alone to pack down. digits crossed.TS

Just Joshin' ya!
    Does anyone know when Kimurels Hurl will be open?
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Open and awesome.

No Clue Crew
    Cool. May have to make another trip out there for a run down the Hurl...

mtbr member
    I am hoping to make it back out there this Sunday. I haven't hit the trails in two weeks and I am dying for some action.

mtbr member

Thr.NR? -- KiMural's-OPEN!

Gang!

Okay, we didn't quite-wait until-Friday -- but Joshua and Kenny and I pedaled-out yesterday to confirm that the-paint was COMPLETELY-DRY (Using Fingernails to see IF it-gave at all? Nope! Perfect!).

KiMural's Hurl IS OFFICIALLY OPEN! It was my-first-ride back since surgery "down there" (20 days outta' the-saddle )

* Hey, it's Thursday Night -- is anyone hosting a ride out-here tonight? We're NOT doing it for multiple-reasons. Eileen and I WILL Host-it again next-week, but next-year we're only-hosting-it once a month, and we'll probably still continue to alternate-rides: F.I.N.S. once, and then "the-Other-Trails" the next time.
    JP's meeting at / leaving-from Safeway tonight at 6:30, and I'm planning on joining him unless anyone-else is-hosting out here tonight?
    Harvapotamus
    out
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

mtbr member
    Being new to the Phoenix area... i came upon this new run completely by accident. it is a great addition to this already fun area to ride. Thanks to all who spent the time to build this!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

rode again

today. The hurl was open. Dig shooting star down. This is just plain fun. The entire area is creative and uses the natural features very well. I like that I can choose direction so I can change the ride up. That said, I would not ride up the Hurl. Your gonna get runned over. Again nice work guys. Have you all thought about putting wire over the woof ala BC??

Where is Kermit?

mtbr member
    A friend of mine had the gopro running last night. Broke 1 minute too... In the dark - DANG! Hopefully there will be some video on YouTube soon!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast