Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fins

mtbr member

Smile Fins

Went out to FINS today for the second time, yesterday was my first. It really is a cool place to ride. I am a newbie and it really shows me the areas that I need to work on. Endurance, body position while cornering, and climbing those steep sections where traction is low. Yea, so I pretty much need to work on everything. Oh well, I am going to have a whole lot of fun doing it.

Shred...it's the new drug
    The best part about learning to mountain bike is the mountain biking...

mtbr member
    Traditionally Eileen and I "Host" a night-ride out there every-Thursday.
    * Well,... We now take the-first Thr. of the month off; and then we've been "rotating: F.I.N.S. one-week, and then "the-other-trails" the following week. (Other Trails = D-Votion to Market to Canyon to Coyote to 6'-Under, back to Corgett and home for Darts and Chilled Adult Beverages/Sodas + beers).

Technically, you'd figure that we'd be-on this week . . .
    . But

Packers are on ESPN (Pre-Season vs. the-Chargers) this Thursday Night, so we're NOT hosting the Fun-Fest this week because of that.
    Maybe come out the following week for some fun on F.I.N.S. Message me for directions here. We leave from Harv's Domain @ 6:30, and it's 2.1 miles out there (read WARM-UP!), and then we meet back here post-ride for beverages and darts and the-pool.
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Andrew
    Went and hit FINS today for the first time. Met a really cool dude named Chris who helps build and maintain the Island. Bunch of awesome riders out there and really cool atmosphere and riding conditions. I loved the themed trails as well. Boneyard was sweet and the Enchanted Forest was hilarious with all the stuffed animals. The new section with the wooden bridges and banked turns was right up my alley and the jumps all along the trail were great. Definitely will be going back out, and will be checking out the Thursday ride once I build up my endurance a bit.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100

Thomas
    Dec 2011
    I'll have to try to make it out to a few of these Thursday night rides. I'm new to Arizona and mountain biking more or less. I'm just in Avondale so not far from home. Ive rode out there a few times and the place rocks.

mtbr member
    Harv rode the new trail today and IT ROCKS! Why you holding out on me? You didn't tell me it had some jumps! So much fun. I hate to say it (being part of the West Valley Trail Alliance) but its been a while since I've been out to FINS. You guys are doing an awesome job up there! I love the added berms and jumps on the old trails too. I must have bombed down Kimurel's Hurl 6 times before the sun went down. I even played on the teeter totter. I know I've said it plenty of times before and haven't been able to make it to past planned build sessions but... I WANT TO HELP!

Go Speed Racer
    I plan on heading out to F.I.N.S for the first time this weekend. Looking to get about 10 - 18 miles in. Any recommendations on what trails to ride and in what direction? Parking, and other info would be nice also. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Park at the school -- on your-left as you're headed to F.I.N.S. on Westar Rd.
    It's then 7/10th's of a mile TO the trail-head.
    * What people think is the trail-head is actually where a road will be going-in; NOT an "official-trail head."
    Everything out there can be ridden in either direction (although I personally haven't ever made it back UP Hurt's Donut -- which is WHY Bearclaw was built: to get "back-up" it...).
    I also don't think Shooting Star can be ridden "up," but there's no-signage ON Shooting Star, so you wouldn't know when you're on it anyway....).
    Have a blast!
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by phichibri View Post
    Park at the school -- on your-right as you're headed to F.I.N.S.
    It's then 7/10th's of a mile TO the trail-head.
    * What people think is the trail-head is actually where a road will be going-in; NOT an "official-trail head."
    Everything out there can be ridden in either direction (although I personally haven't ever made it back UP Hurt's Donut -- which is WHY Bearclaw was built: to get "back-up" it...).
    I also don't think Shooting Star can be ridden "up," but there's no-signage ON Shooting Star, so you wouldn't know when you're on it anyway....).
    Have a blast!
    Thanks! Now I have something to look forward to and get me through the week

mtbr member
    We're riding F.I.N.S. again this week on Thursday Night if you can make it out here?

We leave / pedal off at 6:30 (or so we say. . . It's usually like 6:35, 6:38, etc....) and all ride over to F.I.N.S. together somewhat-mellow to "wam-up;" and then split-up into smaller-groups once we're there -- depending on how-fast, or how-far peeps want to go.

Call or e-mail me if you want / need directions here?
    Harv's cell = (623) 256-3993
    e-mail = Harvsdomain@gmail.com

Cheers
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Go Speed Racer
    We're riding F.I.N.S. again this week on Thursday Night if you can make it out here?

We leave / pedal off at 6:30 (or so we say. . . It's usually like 6:35, 6:38, etc....) and all ride over to F.I.N.S. together somewhat-mellow to "wam-up;" and then split-up into smaller-groups once we're there -- depending on how-fast, or how-far peeps want to go.

Call or e-mail me if you want / need directions here?
    Harv's cell = (623) 256-3993
    e-mail = Harvsdomain@gmail.com

Cheers
    I have never rode at night, and do not have a light... I would love to ride with the group, and thanks for the invite... I have been thinking about getting a light, just not sure I could get one in time for the ride... Thanks again. I will let you know if I am coming out in the next few days

mtbr member
    BE WARNED:
    Night-Riding IS addictive!!! (Big-Fun!)

If you can't find one and still might be interested -- Ultimate Cycles rents lights; but call ahead to have them throw one on the Charger for you.
    Ultimate Cycles is on Estrella Parkway; and if you're driving out, you'd exit on Estrella Parkway to come out to F.I.N.S., and it'd be "on your-way"
    * They close a little eariler ON Thursdays so they can make the Thr.NR (Thursday Night Ride)
    Their phone = (623) 925-2020
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Excuse my being such a noob, but wasn't there something about FINS being off limits to people that didn't live in the surrounding area and people were getting tickets or something like that? I could have this mixed up, I'm still trying to learn all the trails around my area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Three08 View Post
    Excuse my being such a noob, but wasn't there something about FINS being off limits to people that didn't live in the surrounding area and people were getting tickets or something like that? I could have this mixed up, I'm still trying to learn all the trails around my area.
    Someone wrote something like that in the trail review section of MTBR on Nov 2011 along with this totally believable gem:

"Recent arrests and prosecutions have begun using a system newly installed video surveillance, similar to the system use on the highways to identify faces and license plates. Vehicles parked at the trailhead on Weststar and surrounding school parking lots are being surveilled and information recorded for future use."

Sure they are..... everyone's' BS detectors should be going off right about now....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I have never rode at night, and do not have a light... I would love to ride with the group, and thanks for the invite... I have been thinking about getting a light, just not sure I could get one in time for the ride... Thanks again. I will let you know if I am coming out in the next few days
    just picked up niterider lumina 650 for about 120 on ebay, that's my first "real" biking light - it's insanely bright -

mtbr member
    Thr.nr = great times!

Go Speed Racer
    I am not going to be able to make it out tonight due to work, also still need to get a light. I am planning on heading out this Saturday morning to ride, should be at the trailhead around 8. I plan on getting a light and joining you all for a TNR soon.

Thanks again for all the great info, I look forward to checking this place out, it sure looks like a blast!

D

mtbr member
    Planning to meet at the Westar Elementary at 7 a.m. Sunday morning. So far I think we have 3 riders in the group, none of which have done FINS yet.

ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    Planning to meet at the Westar Elementary at 7 a.m. Sunday morning. So far I think we have 3 riders in the group, none of which have done FINS yet.

ben
    Well you may have company in the morning. Hope you don't mind Canadians.

Tyson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post

Tyson
    Nope, don't mind at all. If our skill levels don't match up we can split the group.

ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post

Tyson
    Gotta be kinda warm down here fer ya, eh Hoser?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Gotta be kinda warm down here fer ya, eh Hoser?
    It's actually been years since I lived in Canada but I can't help but bring it up as much as possible because of all the jokes. But yes, it does get f-ing warm here. Also, I prefer 'Canuck'.

Go Speed Racer
    I went out today and had a blast. Felt like a kid out there. Had to give the teeter totter a shot, um, yea, that did not turn out well! LOL.

Great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll be there, accompanying the "Canuck."

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fun ride out there today, good netowrk of trails.
    And of course there's this too.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast