mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Finally road the Cave Creek Cactus Classic trail

Been wanting to ride this route for awhile now and finally got out there today and did it. Was an awesome ride and the views from Spur Cross Trail to the Maricopa Trail were outstanding.

I did realize though that something does need to change. Till I hit the Go John Trail, I only walked twice on my single speed (one was the climb up to the spur cross trail and the other was cave creek wash [sand]). The last 1/4 or so of that trail all heck broke loose and I had to walk a few more times. Right now I am running 33/18 SS so I might change the cog to a 20 but there were some geared riders out there smoking me, especially once in cave creek recreational area. Not sure if I need a geared bike, a lighter bike or a different cog or 2 of the 3.

Either way I thought that ride was awesome but its too bad that it took me just over 3 hours even though I went about a half mile or so in the wrong direction and took some breaks at some scenic shots. Will see if I can get some pics posted.

Got one pic posted, not sure why it wont let me post the others

Finally road the Cave Creek Cactus Classic trail-img_1130.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey welcome to Cave Creek! Me and a few others consider these our home trails and affectionately call that the 'race loop'. BTW, the race is on 11/9 and if you register before 10/31 you'll get a discount. Don't sweat getting beat by geared riders on these trails. If you wanna consult a local SS guy, go talk to the owner of Flat Tire Bike Shop, Kaolin Cummens. He's a single-speeder through and through and will give you the best advice to running one gear in these here parts. Flat Tire is also a terrific shop.

The sandy parts are a drag (literally) but if you stay left for the first half and break right for the 2nd half of the sand it's a better ride. BTW, don't go Go John left; it's a bit hairy. Stay right. The race goes right. Also turn right onto Overton about 2/3 up GJ.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.