mtbr member

Feel good story from Moab trip

Coming down off of the Porcupine Rim trail, time on the trail lengthened quite a bit from injuries, hot, tired, ready to be done I met someone extraordinary. Just as I exited the trail and transitioned to pavement there he was talking to one of the riders in our group -- Jonah Boyer (aka DudeTrek).

He was so proper in introducing himself, and not for a second pushy or forthcoming about his story. We drilled him with questions and he gave concise and humble answers. He told us he was walking across America. All that he had for resources you can see in the photo. He started in Delware. There was something about Jonah. I don't normally have conversations with strangers, but he had a magnetism that just drew me in, and the more he revealed about his journey the more I wanted to know. I'll let you read his blog at DudeTrek.com for more about that.

Here is the interesting part of my story. I had a Cliff bar in my pack that I didn't eat and no longer needed. I knew it wasn't much, but I felt compelled to offer it to him. He took it saying, "Thank you, I'll save this for later when I really need it" and he slipped it into his front pocket.

I took this photo of him and we parted ways. We rode to the parked truck and loaded the bikes and our gear. During this time Jonah continued on walking. As we drove up the road, we saw him ahead. One of the guys told me to roll the windows down. I honked the horn and we all yelled his name as we drove by. As we passed, I looked back in the side mirror and Jonah was waving with one hand and eating the Cliff bar I had given him with the other.

It was such a gratifying moment. Everything coming together at the right time for him and me. I guess he really needed that Cliff bar at that very moment. It was a terrific end to a challenging day on the trail.

ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hope you will be a 'Jonah' someday too.
    cheers.
    TS