mtbr member

Favorite section of downhill in the MSP?

for those of you who ride the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, i'm just curious what you think is the 'best' section of downhill trail within the preserve?

of course it's up to you what 'best' means...
    Maah Daah Hey

Good luck with that!
    Dec 2009
    I like gateway loop for a short ride. I go clockwise from the parking lot. Getting down from the gateway saddle has a good mix of technical switchbacks and fast smooth sections.

mtbr member
    I always liked the steep part coming down the west side of bell pass. The part they are rerouting. Coming down from toms thumb on east end was fun too.

Losing Ground
    Quote Originally Posted by tonebone2000
    I always liked the steep part coming down the west side of bell pass. The part they are rerouting. Coming down from toms thumb on east end was fun too.
    I don't understand what that little re-rout is for. They both seem about the same to me.
    Bell and East End also get the nod for me.

mtbr member
    lately i've been climbing sunrise alot and a think east to west gives a nice downhill....hike-a-bike up east side though. easy to see out a ways (for hikers, etc.) very fast and smooth with a few sketchy/rocky sections to scrub your speed. I dig the exposure up on the top of sunrise and chasing the sun rolling westerly at dusk has been tough to beat.

been running down sunrise, turn north to ringtail, little bit of climbing up to the ringtail overlook and then cruising down toward Lost Dog trailhead.

will need to go over and climb windgate and bell when it cools down a bit
    Maah Daah Hey

Losing Ground
    Yes, I forgot about Sunrise. I think the better downhill is West to East though. Except then it leaves you in no man's land. Either a really long loop into the middle of the Preserve, or back short on the streets.