banned
    Aug 2012

Fat tires in the Arizona desert

Hey Arizonan's
    I've recently returned to biking and am looking at options for a new bike.

Riding style is casual enjoyment on the trails.

My question is.........
    Is anyone riding a fat bike (Pugsley/Salsa etc.) around the lower desert, and if so how does it ride compared to a more conventional bike with typical mtb width tires ?

I'm currently riding a Raleigh Edge Trials that I bought new back in 1987, really want a new bike, and am looking at options.

Thoughts/suggestions please ?

mtbr member
    I saw someone Friday on Desert Classic with some kind of fatbike. I thought about stopping to ask about it since it is such an oddity but it's not something I really have an interest in. They are out there!

mtbr member
    I'm sure it would be fun to try out but not very practical. They were designed to be used in deeper snow or deep sand. AZ is mostly hard pack and rocky. Normal fatter tires , 2.3's or 2,4's would be more than enough. All that rotating weight would be a drag also.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Also, running huge tires w/low psi is fun, but AZ has the sharp jagged rocks that will dent the rim, you may not even flat, but denting the rim is worse.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks slooooooowwwwww. Your bikes rolling weight is the heaviest, or something like that.

Give it a crank
    You'd be able to ride the "desert superhighways" in AZ, those are all the deep sand washes shaped by flash floods that no other mountain bike can handle.

There's some small, easy washes in the pima & dynamite area crossed by many of the singletrack mtb's usually ride on. On a fat bike, I bet you could easily ride up and down those washes all day.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Thanks all,
    Decisions, decisions ... Hadn't thought about denting rims, but at the cost of them, I'll probably start looking more closely at a FS 26 or 29.

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Thanks all,
    Decisions, decisions ... Hadn't thought about denting rims, but at the cost of them, I'll probably start looking more closely at a FS 26 or 29.
    You won't dent the rims. I ball hard on my fat bike. These guys don't know what they are talking about, and probably haven't ever ridden a Fatty. Go ride one and decide for yourself. I know one thing for certain, if you get one, you'll never stop grinning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I second that! No one will believe what you are able to do....

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    You won't dent the rims. I ball hard on my fat bike. These guys don't know what they are talking about, and probably haven't ever ridden a Fatty. Go ride one and decide for yourself. I know one thing for certain, if you get one, you'll never stop grinning.
    They do look pretty cool !!!

I've been calling around ... Do you know anyone in the valley, who has one in stock ?

mtbr member
    I have seen them in the Landis stores on Southern & Price and on Warner & Rural. Only one in each store that I'm aware of.

Rhino
    They do look pretty cool !!!

I've been calling around ... Do you know anyone in the valley, who has one in stock ?

Slippery Pig had a bunch the other day. Rage had several but has been a few months since I have been in the store.

mtbr member
    I have a friend that has the moonlander and he loves it. Those things go anywhere, but not fast of course. 2 guys from Durango rode Pugsleys in the Flight of the Pigs (70 mi) a couple of years ago and I was amazed at the technical climbing/descending they could do. I rode the moonlander and it's not that slow on trail or road either....really. Just fun as hell.

This is the video that year. The video cam on one Pugsley, John on the other gray Pugsley.
    Flight of the pigs - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I picked up a pugsley at the beginning of the summer... Ended up selling my specialized pitch and haven't looked back.

I'm not a racer, just like to go out and explore the trails so it's perfect for me. You'd be surprised what they can do out here when you ride one. It's a different more enjoyable ride ( for me at least). I didn't think I'd be trail riding one when I got it...

Misspelled by using Tapatalk

banned
    Aug 2012
    Flight of the Pigs video is awesome !!!

Hit the Slippery Pig today and rode a Pug and Muk ... WOW !!!
    I'm hooked, almost brought one home, but decided to get rid of an aold 4x4 truck (toy) first, then get a fatty.

parenting for gnarness
    Flight of the Pigs video is awesome !!!

Hit the Slippery Pig today and rode a Pug and Muk ... WOW !!!
    I'm hooked, almost brought one home, but decided to get rid of an aold 4x4 truck (toy) first, then get a fatty.
    Joe at Sunday Cycles rides those everywhere, you will get a lot of great info about what it can do from him. Revolution in Flag also has some for rent. I rode a Mukluk mostly on the beach and loved it, I did not care for it on stairs and trials - too heavy, and there was no dampening to boing boing. I am looking to buy one used when the 2013s come out, to be used mostly at the beach and around a beach town in lots of sand. No desire for one for my regular AM or XC riding other than as a novelty.

Rhino
    Bikeabuser...you should also look into the Surly Krampus. Not a true fat bike, but scratches another itch you might have. The Krampus looks to be the bike to have if you want fat, and don't ever plan on riding deep sand or snow, but still want to explore the desert and singletrack. Plus the Krampus can take skinny trail wheels.

My next project...Krampus wheel set for my Pugsley. It should fit, but unconfirmed.

workin' it Administrator
    I ride a fat fronted jones, but also have a 29er wheel that I use.

As some have said they do have a serious increase in rolling mass, even with a light weight setup it isn't going to beat a set of Ardents on Flows. However the traction is absolutely insane, and if you don't like dickering with suspension or suspension settings or suspension maintenance and just want to get out and ride the fat tires provide great cush and again the traction is insane.

Again remember that for the price of 2 top end ardents you will receive one low end Larry and the new tires from 45north and surly are even more expensive topping $170 which as has been mentioned in a place with a lot of rocks can get expensive.

best bet is to go fat but also get a set of 29er wheels built so you can swap in for things like fast desert single tracks and leave the fatties for things where you really need the cush and traction. Alternately look at a fat front option to round out a 29er or 26er of your choice.
    Try this: HTFU

banned
    Aug 2012
    Rockcrusher ... Understood and thanks for the imput !!!
    But at 50, I gave up on the fast and crazy stuff long ago

I'm looking hard at a Pug ... It fit me well, and I like the idea of a frame that can be repaired, if ever needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Amgo,

Joe her from Sunday Cycles. I own two fatties, ride T100, somo, bikepack, century road ride, and more on my fattys. We have a good network of folks that are fat minded. The shop has probably turned out 25 or so this year. I am happy to talk fat bikes with you til the cows come home. Here is a little story about a fat bike Mexillent adventure...
    Mexican Fat Bike Adventure Part 1 Sunday Cycles Bike Shop

Feel free to call the shop at 480-440-2142.

Rubber side.....
    Joe