mtbr member

Fat Bike riders in Phoenix area, What tires are you running?

Those of you, that have Fatbikes and are using them for South Mountain/Hawes/MMP type trails, what are you using? I would like a good all around tread that plays nice in the sand as well as on rocks and dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    45N Husker Du 26 x 4.0". I'd say the tires have 500+ miles on them of pretty much desert riding and sand and they're still lookin' cherry pie. In fact, if things come together, I may be using 'em on a December bikepacking trip from Phoenix to Palm Springs, CA.

mtbr member
    Husker Du.... man that was an outstanding 80's punk band !!!! I remember seeing them in I think 1985/86...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Surly Nate 120 tpi version, they came with the bike. Lots of traction but lots of rolling resistance, I notice the rolling resistance when riding something flat but normally on SoMo like Javelina, Natty, Bees Knees I do not notice it. Like all my skinny tire bikes the rear tire is wearing pretty good. I ride the fatbike at SoMo (Javelina, Natty, Mormon, Bees Knees, Gila, Pima Wash trails), Hawes, Pima/Dynamite, and Payson (fire roads and ATV trails). The Nates work great on rocks and in washes, have not tried beach sand. But the Surely Nate 120tpi are expensive, when the rear wears out gonna replace it with a On-One Floater tire, heard great things about these tires on the Fatbike Forum, cheaper for 120tpi tire, I read they have good traction but less rolling resistance than the Nate. On-One Floater Fat Tyre / 4.0 inch / 120 TPI / Folding / Black

Ouch, I am hot!
    Agreed. Husker Du = one of the very best bands of all time and perhaps THE most transcending punk band ever.

I think I'll go for a ride and tune in some HD.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CamberPro29er;10658475]Surly Nate 120 tpi version, they came with the bike. Lots of traction but lots of rolling resistance, I notice the rolling resistance when riding something flat but normally on SoMo like Javelina, Natty, Bees Knees I do not notice it. Like all my skinny tire bikes the rear tire is wearing pretty good. I ride the fatbike at SoMo (Javelina, Natty, Mormon, Bees Knees, Gila, Pima Wash trails), Hawes, Pima/Dynamite, and Payson (fire roads and ATV trails). The Nates work great on rocks and in washes, have not tried beach sand. But the Surely Nate 120tpi are expensive, when the rear wears out gonna replace it with a On-One Floater tire, heard great things about these tires on the Fatbike Forum, cheaper for 120tpi tire, I read they have good traction but less rolling resistance than the Nate. [url=http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOO26FAT-4-120-FOL-BLK/on_one_floater_fat_tyre___40_inch___120_tpi___fold ing___black]On-One Floater Fat Tyre / 4.0 inch / 120 TPI

I just got a replacement On One Floater for the one I messed up and they worked quite nice on SoMo today. First real ride on the Fatty and was pleasantly surprised. Tires just grip. Tire pressure is everything on these bikes. 2psi was the difference between feeling like I was hitting and bouncing off all the rocks and smoothly rolling over them. I think if I get a suspension fork, my 29er dually and singlespeed may be sitting in the garage quite a bit. Fattys are fun

SCRUBDUNKER
    I have the On-One Floater as well. Rode them on Flag2GC and really liked them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    I just got a replacement On One Floater for the one I messed up and they worked quite nice on SoMo today. First real ride on the Fatty and was pleasantly surprised. Tires just grip. Tire pressure is everything on these bikes. 2psi was the difference between feeling like I was hitting and bouncing off all the rocks and smoothly rolling over them. I think if I get a suspension fork, my 29er dually and singlespeed may be sitting in the garage quite a bit. Fattys are fun
    I ride the floaters on dirt all the time and they work well. No concerns about traction. I have found that at slow to moderate speeds the traction is great. At very high speeds (usually faster than most people go on hardtails) the fat tires/wheels combo gets crazy because you can no longer turn at speed. If you are coming up on a turn and following someone on a normal bike at those speeds, you'll see that guy whip around the turn but as you come up you try to turn and just keep going straight, there's just no way to turn that much mass at that speed. It's an interesting sensation though. Results on rain-slicked hardpack were interesting too. These really slide around on hard-pack if it rains/gets wet. Most trails aren't quite this hard and it affects all bikes, but the big wide tires were particularly susceptible to this condition. I'm not sure you'd have it anywhere, maybe some hardpacked flagstaff trails with water on em, that's about it.

If you ride highly bermed trails, you'll also find out that if you try to ride fast through the berms the heavy wheel/tire drags your bike to the outside of the berm, sometimes quite impressively.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

In the rear with the beer
    Aw man.... I thought you were asking Fat bike riders, which I certainly am....my bad, sorry for the interuption
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"