Fat Bike on Bell Pass

Printable View

  • 12-02-2012
    CamberPro29er
    Fat Bike on Bell Pass
    I was climbing up Bell Pass on Saturday and saw a guy riding down with a Fat Bike (Salsa kind) after passing him I realized oh it is global fatbike day. I thought fatbikes where only good for sand or snow, I was wondering how they would be on AZ trails? Seems like you would quickly wear down those big tires on all the rocks.
  • 12-02-2012
    sonoran pug
    Sat, a.m. 9:30-10:00 ? That would be Me and My Twenty2 cycles fat bike.
    I ride Windgate-Bell almost every Saturday a.m.
    Fatbikes are perfect on McD's trails, I sold My squish bikes soon after going fat.
    As far as tires go I get a year or so out of the rear, 2 years on front .
  • 12-02-2012
    CamberPro29er
    Yes Sat right around 10am on West Side of Bell Pass, I was doing the loop in reverse Bell-Windgate. I thought it was one of the Salsa fatbikes but now looking at the Twenty2 Bully yeah that could of been it. Anyways thanks for the info.
  • 12-03-2012
    Mtn-Rider
    If you're the guy I met at Windgate Pass a couple weeks ago, that was pretty cool to see. On my way up, I was following the a fresh fat tire track hoping to see the bike, and I did though I didn't get the rider's name.

    If that was you, I took your picture with your iPhone, you should post it.
  • 12-03-2012
    etanc
    Climbing Windgate and Bell Pass on fat bikes? Wow. I'm gassed just thinking about it.
  • 12-03-2012
    SHNIPE
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    Climbing Windgate and Bell Pass on fat bikes? Wow. I'm gassed just thinking about it.

    +1 More legs and lungs on one weekend ride in this thread than Ive had all year!.
  • 12-03-2012
    tysonnemb
    I saw a guy doing the Dawn to Dusk on a SS fat bike (maybe solo?) and he looked like he was having enough fun for all of us. Good times.
  • 12-03-2012
    Casual Observer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I saw a guy doing the Dawn to Dusk on a SS fat bike (maybe solo?) and he looked like he was having enough fun for all of us. Good times.

    Duo. They were part of the Back of the Pack team based on NM. They had to drink a PBR after each lap.
  • 12-03-2012
    sonoran pug
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    If you're the guy I met at Windgate Pass a couple weeks ago, that was pretty cool to see. On my way up, I was following the a fresh fat tire track hoping to see the bike, and I did though I didn't get the rider's name.

    If that was you, I took your picture with your iPhone, you should post it.

    Mtn-rider,
    Was not Me, There are a few other fat bikers riding the Mcd's.
    I see tire tracks from them occasionally, but never see the bikes.
  • 12-03-2012
    az3075
    Curious, what's it like to ride a fat bike in the dirt? I"m sure it smooths out the rocks etc, but how's the tractions going down? Those tires don't look very grippy.... do you normally go slower then you would on a regular mtb?
  • 12-03-2012
    sonoran pug
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by az3075 View Post
    Curious, what's it like to ride a fat bike in the dirt? I"m sure it smooths out the rocks etc, but how's the tractions going down? Those tires don't look very grippy.... do you normally go slower then you would on a regular mtb?

    The original Surly Endos were not so good for Az trails,but the new crop of fat tires that have come out the last few years are just fine. Im using Surly Larrys and 45north Husker-dus on
    My fat bikes. As far as speed goes, you do have to ride a bit slower on the really rocky stuff
    to avoid pinch flats. On every thing else speed is only limited by your nerve.
  • 12-04-2012
    PhxChem
    Where's some "fat bike down the Waterfall" footage?

    I searched and all I got was this...

  • 12-04-2012
    Maadjurguer
    Traction is above average because of the large footprint
  • 12-04-2012
    chollaball
    i'll pee in the punch bowl - I far prefer my real bike to my fat bike on trails. Heavy, not aggressive enough geo, ridiculously expensive tires, and boingy. No desire to try really hard tech moves. Its not as hard to climb as you think cause of the footprint, rigid, and its not very heavy. Good on ya for those that enjoy it, but its all about sand for me.
  • 12-04-2012
    tjkm
    I've ridden my buddy's Jones fatbike, it is pretty sweet! He only runs 10psi in the front. Different way of experiencing the trails. I would consider one as a second set up.