Thread: F.i.n.s.

mtbr member

F.i.n.s.

I know it seems pretty short, but can someone send me some gpx files or post them for FINS? I am doing some planning for tomorrow and it would make it easier to get files from others that have ridden the trails before. The more the merrier
    Thanks
    Last edited by tsefreeflow; 08-16-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: because
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's one from last year, fun stuff out there. I hear they have some wooden tech features out there now.

Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Thanks Freeskier, I got this after my ride haha. I just went out there and rode some stuff. It was getting pretty hot and believe it or not I got lost a bit. It is marked pretty well at some points, but at others the trail will split and I am like "WTF?". I think the maps online are a bit different or something, but anyway, the trail system is friggin AWESOME lol. As you can see below I focused on the NW part of the system and grunt (rode that 2.5 times) to begin with, and since it was getting rather hot and I was getting rather tired, I got outta there and missed most of the SE sections. Even trying to get back to the enterance I was feeling lost. I just need to go more and get used to it, so I can spend more time riding and less time stopped starring at a sweat soaked trailmap. Damn it was humid too. Anyway, good times .

mtbr member
    Glad you had fun out there. We are going to be installing some more maps throughout the park. You probably saw some of the blank pedestals. More trails are being added at FINS and there are also some additional trails up behind the Safeway center. West Valley Trail Alliance along with other local help is working on some incredible current and future MTB trails in the area.

Did you try the teeter-totter?

mtbr member
    Haha, well no I saw it but passed it as I took a right up Base Butte and around. As I exited I passed it again lol, and would have had to u-turn to try it. I'll do it though as I am planning to go back out Saturday possibly and try and figure it out some more out there.
    I did see all the blank pedestals which made me thinking something was either coming or going. Not sure where the safeway center is. But man, I gotta say again that those trails are really really great . Too bad I put it off so long before going out there . This week has been great to me for trying all these trails I have missed out on over the last 1.5 years .

Just a rider...
    Nov 2009
    I'll show you around this saturday if you are down for a early ride. Say start at 6 or 6:30...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bskarasek View Post
    I'll show you around this saturday if you are down for a early ride. Say start at 6 or 6:30...
    Appreciate the offer, and would love too, but I have class Saturday's 6am for about an hour. I live in Surprise, so it would take me some time to get there after class. So i'll just tough it out in the heat again or wait till Sunday I guess.

mtbr member
    I'll be out there sunday morning if your interested. Haven't ridden with ya in a while. Hit me up if your up for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Appreciate the offer, and would love too, but I have class Saturday's 6am for about an hour. I live in Surprise, so it would take me some time to get there after class. So i'll just tough it out in the heat again or wait till Sunday I guess.
    Cool, another west side guy. I live in Waddell, and also love FINS, and also hope to ride there Sunday. There are a few new trails that are in, and some others being started. It's cool to have the support of the land owners, allowing some great trails to be made.

mtbr member
    Hey Doug, yeah it's definately been some time. Hope you are feeling better.
    I am down for Sunday, even if I was to hit it on Saturday. Just tell me the time guys and I'm in!

Rhino
    ASLD Recreational Permit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F.i.n.s.-fins-state-land-trust.jpg  

mtbr member
    6am at the school for anyone who wants to join in the am!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mike, fins is awesome. I ride there often. Theres a few of us that ride it frequently friday nights. If youre evrr intrrested hit me up if u still have my number

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odii View Post
    Mike, fins is awesome. I ride there often. Theres a few of us that ride it frequently friday nights. If youre evrr intrrested hit me up if u still have my number
    Hey Leon,
    Yeah, I might be able to join on Friday's at some point, who knows. Thanks for the invite though. Wish I was closer to FINS lol, but still worth the drive like BCT is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Cool, another west side guy. I live in Waddell, and also love FINS, and also hope to ride there Sunday. There are a few new trails that are in, and some others being started. It's cool to have the support of the land owners, allowing some great trails to be made.
    I'm out in Waddell too! Is it your tracks I've been seeing on the Maricopa Trail? I went out with a few guys from the board on Saturday at the White Tanks and got my butt kicked all over the trail. Was still fun! As for FINS, I haven't hit it yet. Would like to go in the coming weeks though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by recovery View Post
    I'm out in Waddell too! Is it your tracks I've been seeing on the Maricopa Trail? I went out with a few guys from the board on Saturday at the White Tanks and got my butt kicked all over the trail. Was still fun! As for FINS, I haven't hit it yet. Would like to go in the coming weeks though.
    OK Tysonn and Recovery, let's start a Waddell club, I live there too...I've been connecting up some old jeep and quad trails out there in the desert next to the White Tanks, also ride the White Tanks, Estrella, and FINS regularly. Shoot me a PM, maybe we can get a ride together.

There is also a regular THURSDAY night ride at FINS (and the new trails) that starts about 6:30pm from Harv's house...I think he has posted up directions before, if your interested in more info, just let me know.
    Last edited by azokie; 08-20-2012 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    OK Tysonn and Recovery, let's start a Waddell club, I live there too...I've been connecting up some old jeep and quad trails out there in the desert next to the White Tanks, also ride the White Tanks, Estrella, and FINS regularly. Shoot me a PM, maybe we can get a ride together.

There is also a regular Wednesday night ride at FINS (and the new trails) that starts about 6:30pm from Harv's house...I think he has posted up directions before, if your interested in more info, just let me know.
    Apparently I need 10 posts to PM someone.

I'm up in the Cortessa neighborhood. Perhaps it's your tracks I've been seeing out there. Yeah, I'm up for a ride either in the evenings or weekends, if'n you don't mind waiting for my out of shape butt to catch up now and again. (Usually on the climbs.) I spent far too many years away from the saddle. Let me know if you've got a time/day in mind. Cheers!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post

There is also a regular Wednesday night ride at FINS (and the new trails) that starts about 6:30pm from Harv's house...I think he has posted up directions before, if your interested in more info, just let me know.
    Yeah I used to do Harv's Thursday night ride all the time until my daughter was born. Now I have to wait till the wife has the night off to do Thursday rides. Although I could do Wednesdays. I'd be up for some riding, absolutely. I do FINS more than the Tanks since I haven't gotten the pass yet and FINS is free. I've never tried the Maricopa trails though, even though it crosses right down the road from me.

It would be cool to not ride solo all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Yeah I used to do Harv's Thursday night ride all the time until my daughter was born. Now I have to wait till the wife has the night off to do Thursday rides. Although I could do Wednesdays. I'd be up for some riding, absolutely. I do FINS more than the Tanks since I haven't gotten the pass yet and FINS is free. I've never tried the Maricopa trails though, even though it crosses right down the road from me.

It would be cool to not ride solo all the time.
    Tysonn, I meant Thursday night ride at Harv's...so much for multi-tasking. I'm not sure if I've been on the Maricopa Trail or not...maybe I have and did not know what I was on.

I do a couple rides a week out the back door on a combination of canal and quad trails, about 12 miles and 800' of vertical....it's a little rough in spots but still beats sitting on the couch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What does FINS stand for? All Im seeing is the abbreviation...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUAviator View Post
    Fantasy Island North Singletrack. The original Fantasy Island is in Tucson, thus the North. Not sure if you know where it is, but its in Goodyear, south on Estrella Parkway, take a right on Westar, and the trailhead is on the left after the school. Pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks! Im in North Phoenix so I dont usually venture that far SW. Seems like a great place to ride tho.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUAviator View Post
    Fantasy Island North Singletrack

Edit: LOL, guess I was too late Anyway, I have never ridden out there, but it is not that far away from me, planning on hitting it up once it cools down a little...