Ridin Mexican Borderlines

New question here. Expansion in the Santans

I was in Global Bikes/Queen Creek last week chatting the wrench that was in there about Santan. He stated that there is a slew of expansion, including mountain bike specific trails that are slated to be built out there. I was wondering if anyone here could confirm and, if so, provide some kind of a link to information available on the expansion. It doesn't look like the parks department has anything on it, so I thought I would check in here.
    Riding Dusty Mexican Borderlines

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I stumbled across some document from 2011 that talked about it, including a dirt-jump or pump track. Obviously I can't find it now.
    2013 Rockhopper Pro 29er

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I was talking to one of the park rangers a few months ago and he mentioned some trail re-routing out of the washes, a competitive loop area, mtb skills area and pump track. Obviously, funding and/or grants need to be obtained, but he sure sounded optimistic about work getting done out there. I think they just wrapped up a renovation project with the visitor center. Sorry, but I couldn't locate anything online to back up what the ranger talked about.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

I love bike!
    Pretty sure that has been in the works for at least 5 years now. I wouldn't hold your breathe for anything MTB specific to get done anytime soon. The current trail system keeps getting better just about every year though so maybe I'm wrong which I hope. The Dynamite addition last year or so was a solid improvement to a somewhat ho-hum park as far as MTB IMO. It would be really nice to have something MTB specific out there on those heavy horse jockey days.

How much further ???
    Im glad to hear that my $85 annual fee is going toward some potential improvements like this.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Dynamite Trail definitely makes it worth it to travel to try something different at least once a month. Nice climb. I also like the flow/character of the Star Gazer Trail (although it's really short!).

The old roads that they use for "trails" are the obvious week points of the park.

Although this maybe dreaming on my part, does anyone think they might consider putting trails in the Malpais Hills area?

There's a lot of potential out there.

The guy I talked to was very specific about the Malpais area. He said there was going to be a re-route of the existing trail and that the new trail was going to be mtb specific. My previous understanding was that they were thinking about taking the what is the conservation area in the eastern part of the park and converting it to loops, which is why his remarks came as a surprise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scoottay View Post
    The guy I talked to was very specific about the Malpais area. He said there was going to be a re-route of the existing trail and that the new trail was going to be mtb specific. My previous understanding was that they were thinking about taking the what is the conservation area in the eastern part of the park and converting it to loops, which is why his remarks came as a surprise.
    That would be great if they redo the Malpais. There is one little short section that is awesome when you come in on the North but not worth riding through all the sand and thorns to get to.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    I spoke to the park superintendent earlier this year (I can't remember her name now though) about trails and expansion and I learned quite a few things about Maricopa Parks in general as well as Santan specific stuff.

They plan to build comp loops/pump track over in the east side of the park where the park boundary gets a little weird. They have been working on quite a bit of trail re-routing out of the washes specifically for mountain bikers and hikers. They plan to leave the wash sections in because of the equestrians (who prefer to take their horses into washes). One surprising thing that I learned was a plan to build a trail that circumnavigates Goldmine Mountain! I started looking at the Maricopa Parks master plan and if you look carefully, you will find a large sum of money allocated to Santan Regional Park in 2014 (over $1 million easily but I can't remember the exact number). Check it out yourself! I really hope they do stick with the plan to build a trail around the Goldmines. I think that would be fantastic!

I had also asked about the possibility of building trails up and around south of the Malpais cliffs and they told me that it would probably never happen due to a few reasons. One is the fact that there are various native artifacts in the area so it would never pass the NEPA/EIS process. Another reason is the fact that the southern edge of the park borders the GRIC so they don't want to have any issues with their neighbors.

I also found out that Queen Creek apparently has plans (or had plans, not sure if it is still in the works or not) to build some large hotel/conference center in the northwestern reaches of the park. If you look at a map of the park, you'll see there is a cutout in the northwest segment that is owned by the city of QC. I couldn't find too much information about this project but it had some mentions in QC's master plans from several years ago. It would be a horrible idea to build something out there in my opinion but I don't know if they are even still planning on it. I do know that the old Borgata at Santan housing development appears to be restarting (ugh) and it will basically flank the entire northeastern border of the park. As if we needed to bulldoze more prime desert lands.

I was also very surprised to learn that Maricopa Parks has only a crew of SEVEN people for ALL of the parks when it comes to trail maintenance and construction. Those seven rotate throughout all of the parks in the county mostly making repairs and general maintenance. She told me they barely have time to build new trail with their in-house crew because they are too busy repairing and also closing off social/spider trails (of which Santan has dozens!). The Dynamite trail was built by a professional crew and I can't remember how much they paid for it at the moment but I do remember my jaw hitting the floor. I couldn't believe how much trail construction costs!!

So there you have it. I had this conversation a long time ago so things may have changed a bit.

Interesting stuff. Surprised that they won't clean up Malpais since it's an existing trail. I've always wondered who owns that parcel that cuts into the park from the NorthWest. I think as a show of civic pride, QC should deed the land to the parks department.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoottay View Post
    Interesting stuff. Surprised that they won't clean up Malpais since it's an existing trail. I've always wondered who owns that parcel that cuts into the park from the NorthWest. I think as a show of civic pride, QC should deed the land to the parks department.
    They are cleaning up Malpias. As I said above they are re-routing the trail out of the washes for mountain bikers and hikers but leaving the existing wash portions as equestrian bypasses. Think of it as two parallel trails.

I highly doubt QC will deed the land to the parks department. While it was originally purchased in the late 90s for preservation purposes, QC modified their master plan later on in a bid to develop the land with a hotel and homes. Here is a small blurb about it back in Feb. 2013: Southeast Valley Ledger San Tan Valley and Queen Creek News QC Council passes Box Canyon amendment, waits on QC Station » Southeast Valley Ledger San Tan Valley and Queen Creek News

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So.....Malpais Trail: YES

The actual Malpais Hills: NO

I guess I get their reasoning....basically too expensive and too work intensive to identify a route that would avoid native artifacts when they can more easily build trails elsewhere in the park. Are native artifacts more concentrated in the Malpais? Artifacts such as pottery, trash mounds, cremation areas, etc. have been found all over the QC area (at least from the Hohokam).

mtbr member
    Here is the old trail plan from back in the day the ranger sent me. If you have been out there recently you can see all the work that has been done. I would love to get involved with making/helping with the trails so keep me posted if something happens.

there is a volunteer event going on out there on the 11th, but don't know what they are doing. 8-11am, I will email the ranger to find out.

pr_detail

https://docs.google.com/file/d/14OvO...it?usp=sharing

Interested to see how close they adhere to the original master plan. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Looks like they finished the reroute on san tan trail from the ranger station. I rode out there this week and it's almost all out of the wash now. once the trail packs, that will be a nice section and makes it so you don't have to bypass at hedgehog.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike11 View Post
    Looks like they finished the reroute on san tan trail from the ranger station. I rode out there this week and it's almost all out of the wash now. once the trail packs, that will be a nice section and makes it so you don't have to bypass at hedgehog.
    Sweet. I'll be out there this weekend. I'll have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMike11 View Post
    I rode the re-route on Sunday. It might become something decent, but for now, it's kitty litter. Sticking with Hedgehog until I hear otherwise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I rode the new section of San Tan, and it was fun. A great improvement from the wash. They made it a little twisty and was less brutal than the wash. Right now it is moon dust but it wont pack unless you ride it. Scoottay you can't rely on others to make it prime. It is now my new favorite trail and will be ridden by me much in the future.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't expect to have everything that I ride to be super buff but even the reroute has been totally chewed up by the horse folk and I don't anticipate it getting any better unless we get some rain to wash away the loose. Not sure what you mean by relying on others to make it prime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SanTan is my main park where I ride, I wish they go ahead with the expansion, I normally do 11 miles, through Dynamite-SA-SG-HD-SA-DN; but it will be nice to have more options, I would like to expand to 15miles or so...
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I guess what I mean is it takes foot work and tire work to pack down the dirt. If no ones rides it and waits for it to be better it will never get better. I do agree there are a lot of horses out there chewing up the trail and rain would help pack it down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gera72 View Post
    SanTan is my main park where I ride, I wish they go ahead with the expansion, I normally do 11 miles, through Dynamite-SA-SG-HD-SA-DN; but it will be nice to have more options, I would like to expand to 15miles or so...
    You should include the south side of San tan. Now that they rerouted out of the wash it is super ride-able and really fun. If you go left on San Tan instead of right when you come off dynamite and go south It loops around back to hedgehog. You can go right at the T intersection of hedgehog that takes you back to the ranger station or left and that takes you back to SA passed moonlight back dynamite. that will easily add some miles to get you to 15.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gera72 View Post
    If you go up Dynamite and do a figure 8 and a half (a path that looks something like this => -000) you should be able to get something like 18 miles.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks guys, I will try to do the new section of SA on Thursday or Friday to see how many miles I ride.
    Gera
    Specialized HR 29er