mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Everytrail pro / iPhone Question

So I have a iPhone 4 and have down loaded the everytrail pro app. It worked great out at PMP, but I can not get it to track out at SoMo. I got the phone from Verizon and did not pay extra for the wifi. So if there is a wifi signal my phone will use it, but it doesn't make it's own wifi (make sense?). So I think the problem is the 3G signal is too weak and that's why I'm having problems. Anyone else have similar problems?

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsxj View Post
    So I have a iPhone 4 and have down loaded the everytrail pro app. It worked great out at PMP, but I can not get it to track out at SoMo. I got the phone from Verizon and did not pay extra for the wifi. So if there is a wifi signal my phone will use it, but it doesn't make it's own wifi (make sense?). So I think the problem is the 3G signal is too weak and that's why I'm having problems. Anyone else have similar problems?
    I've only used the Everytrail free app to check my route against a downloaded one when riding in a new area, but have made tracks with the MotionX GPS app before. The GPS does not need wifi or 3G to function, only the GPS sat. signals. MotionX also allows you to download map/topo/sat images for an area before you go there, so that imagery is already on the phone and you can see where you are on the map without cell or wifi coverage.

I have had issues with the everytrail app not displaying a saved track before in the middle of a ride, which is why I haven't payed for the Pro version.

So in summary, the iPhone has all the location data it needs with just a clear GPS signal, which is most anywhere outdoors. It does not need an other external data source (cell or wifi) for this function, but if available it will use it to speed up the process of acquiring a position.