mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Estrella XC race

Hey,

Looking at Racing next sunday at Estralla in the Cat 3 men, from what I understand it is 9 miles.

I have never rode that course what can i expect. Due to my job and current location I won't be able to pre-ride the course.

Thanks

Old-n-Slow

mtbr member
    In terms of "rockyness" it's more than White Tanks and much more than McDowell. It starts out with a long grinding seated climb for about 4 miles, then a technical up and down for a few miles, followed by another long climb then a downhill to the finish.

It's definately one of the rougher courses, but it is mountain biking, not road biking!

Most people don't list it as their favorite course, and I can see why as it just doesn't flow as good as the others, but I still think it's fun and is a good mix.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks
    I will give it a shot

mtbr member
    I was thinking about giving this a shot for my first race ... Gonna see how the knee feels I'm still pretty sore from a nasty fall last weekend.

If anyone wants to preride this sometime this week, hit me up

livin' the dream......
    Might pre-ride tuesday around 2-230. Not sure just yet......

No new blood
    FWIW from a Cat 3 noob perspective, here is a what you can expect from the long loop at Estrella...

The first 4 miles or so are very gradual uphill. Close to flat, but not. There is a climb at about 5 miles, maybe less. The downhill side is twisty and rocky, so be careful on speed. Another climb at about 6.5 miles with the downhill not quite as techy as the first one. The last climb starts at maybe 8 miles and is the longest but not the hardest one of the three. After the switchback in the third climb there are a couple of flatter and even down sections where you can gain some momentum. After you crest the last climb it's more or less downhill to the parking lot. In general, the downhill sections are almost almost all rocky, twisty, and have sandy turns.

Personally, I did not find a lot of joy riding the long loop for reasons such as less than stellar condition, riding a hard tail, and poor handling skills. I'm not whining about the degree of difficulty (or perceived difficulty), I'm just offering a course review from a very inexperienced Cat 3 rider.

If you haven't seen the post "I'm venting. Quit ruining the trails!! Estrella", you might want to read it for to see how more experienced MTB'ers view Estrella. Without having ridden the course pre-change, I could see at least one place where I could tell a good sized boulder had been removed from the middle of the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0