mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Estrella Mountain Quartz Peak biking?

Sorry if this is well-known info, but I'm trying to find out if there are any mountain bike accessible trails that climb up the Estrella Mountains near Phoenix (which always taunt me when I'm on South Mountain). It looks like there's one legal hiking trail that goes to the top called Quartz Peak trail. The summit is over 4000 feet.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict
    Sorry if this is well-known info, but I'm trying to find out if there are any mountain bike accessible trails that climb up the Estrella Mountains near Phoenix (which always taunt me when I'm on South Mountain). It looks like there's one legal hiking trail that goes to the top called Quartz Peak trail. The summit is over 4000 feet.
    Quartz Peak is a great hiking trail and could make a biking trail, but probably would not be that much fun. The terrain is very much like South Mountain, and the trail just goes up, up, up at a granny gear or hike-a-bike grade. The last 1/4 or so of the distance to the summit is hard scrambling over huge boulders - not at all bikable. View up top is spectacular (SoMo looks like an ant hill below to the east), but gettin to the tiptop is rather scary as you have to haul yourself up to perches with severe dropoffs. Also, it is a haul to get to the Quartz Pk trail from anywhere in the Phx valley - the trailhead is on the west side of the range and you have to take dirt roads to get there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There are trails out there... unmapped some unnamed. It's only far away if you live in the East Valley.. Kind of like saying NRA is long haul from Goodyear..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info DurtGurl. It's too bad that so much of this mountain is closed off. We could make some epic riding trails on it otherwise! I might try Quartz on my mountain uni instead since the hike-a-bike would be easier (1/2 the weight .

- M

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leethal
    There are trails out there... unmapped some unnamed. It's only far away if you live in the East Valley.. Kind of like saying NRA is long haul from Goodyear..
    Good to know. Unfortunately I do live in the East Valley.

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict
    Good to know. Unfortunately I do live in the East Valley.
    Funny how east siders always say that but I live in the NW valley and don't have any issues riding at Pass Mtn or Hawes.

Trail Monger
    Everything is 1hr away from Surprise. I have to drive over 50mi each way to ride Hawes. Somtimes I nod off driving from boredom. Oh well.
    Last edited by brilog; 05-06-2010 at 08:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hike it! Drive down the wash, hike up, mellow scramble to summit on namesake white quartzzz. Great viewzzz. Way steep. Fun yea.