mtbr member

Endurance mtn shorts question

I have noticed I tend to chaff more riding off-road over the 6 hour mark than I do on road and I know much of this is likely moisture related. With it being hot so much of the year this is tough to avoid. Any of the endurance guys out there like any particular short? I have to replace a few pair and want to try something else that might work better.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    If you're not worried about what you look like, Spandex. Function over form.

How much further ???
    I cant speak to what brand works better then the next, but I did take the advise from someone, might have even been SSdirt29, to make sure they fit properly. Make sure they are snug. I had a baggy short outer and inner spandex combo where the inner spandex was a little too big. The extra material would move and cause real issues over time. Once I got a snugger fitting spandex short (almost a little uncomfortable initially) Ive had no issues even on the PPP50 for example.

Hope it helps.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    bag balm

mtbr member
    All the Baggies with liners I've tried seem to be too loose in the liner or the pad is gigantic. But I'm skinny with long legs so I'm kinda hard to fit. If the liner fits, the shell fits like 70's tennis shorts.

Not to mention I've got a lifetime supply of quality spandex from racing days. I just need to find someone who sells just the outer shell and I be set.

mtbr member
    Bibs

mtbr member
    Chuck Norris "Action Jeans" would also fit the bill.

Ahhh the pain....
    Honestly, for the stuff > 6 hrs, ditch the baggies. They are easily a pound of extra cargo and other than a little abrasion resistance should you fall, they really don't help much. Good fitting spandex shorts are a must as is some kind of lube....yes, I said lube. Regarding type: bag balm, shea butter, dz nuts, etc all are pretty good. And bring a small amount to reapply after 6 or so hour mark.
    If you can find Assos shorts on sale, they are incredible...still cost about 150 on sale which is rediculous, but damn they feel good. The top of the line PI's are nice as are Voler shorts. Just buy one pair of really good ones and use them for the long events. I seem to have my 2 hour pairs, my 4 hour pairs, and my single > 6 hour pair.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Honestly, for the stuff > 6 hrs, ditch the baggies. They are easily a pound of extra cargo and other than a little abrasion resistance should you fall, they really don't help much. Good fitting spandex shorts are a must as is some kind of lube....yes, I said lube. Regarding type: bag balm, shea butter, dz nuts, etc all are pretty good. And bring a small amount to reapply after 6 or so hour mark.
    If you can find Assos shorts on sale, they are incredible...still cost about 150 on sale which is rediculous, but damn they feel good. The top of the line PI's are nice as are Voler shorts. Just buy one pair of really good ones and use them for the long events. I seem to have my 2 hour pairs, my 4 hour pairs, and my single > 6 hour pair.

Gotta agree with Ray on this.

DZnuts is the best lube I've used and Assos shorts (H FI.Uno_s5) are the most comfortable for 8+ hour rides.

mtbr member

Re: Endurance mtn shorts question

Thank you all. Great feedback. I guess it's time to get spendy on a pair of assos and revisit lubes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldelamancha View Post
    I guess it's time to get spendy on a pair of asses and revisit lubes.
    Wow Im not sure how that will help your cycling but I like your style.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Got a suspension fork
    I went with baggies and no lube on the AES PP, worked out perfect.

Ray sways me with his saving a pound talk, guess I'll have to weight my Zoic baggies which are oh so comfy and see how much I could shave off with lycra. For some reason I have a hard time imagining my PI bibs being as comfy as the Zoic's were after 9+ hours though.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

The Next 100 Miler
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    I just need to find someone who sells just the outer shell and I be set.
    I've been wearing these and like them a lot. Tough but lightweight. Not a bike short, so they have belt loops and I use a narrow nylon web belt to keep them snug.
    Desert Foothills Mountain Bike Association - Join Today!
    IMBA Chapter serving the communities of the North Phoenix Valley

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    They are easily a pound of extra cargo and other than a little abrasion resistance should you fall, they really don't help much.
    Half a pound here, comparing Zoic Ether baggies to Pearl Izumi Elite InRcool Bibs. Not easily an extra pound, but extra weight nonetheless.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  31.1 KB
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    I use Performance Boulder shorts with the liner/padding cut out. For "pro" I have UA compression shorts, long cut. I usually lube with Beljum Butter. All set.

mtbr member
    Baggy shorts allow for gyroscopic stabilization by countermotion of the swinging balls.