Hawes Junkie

"Easy" South Mountain ride ???

I have ridden every possible configuration of trails out in Hawes and McDowell Mountain Reg Park and my riding buddy is wanting to explore bigger and better trails that are supposably found at South Mountain. I ride a Giant XTC hardtail while he rides a Cake so he is looking for something that has some decent entry levels drops while I am just in it to survive -Any recommendations on an 'easier' SM trial that would introduce him to more of the bigger drops that his downhill heart desires but also let me live to see another Saturday?

I am Walt
    In order of easier to harder...
    1. Desert Classic out and back, including the Secret Trail (which branches off to the right about a mile or so after the water tanks going westbound).
    2. East/West Loops and Javelina, perhaps Ridgeline
    3. Up the dirt road to Mormon/National, up Mormon, then down lower National (go left when Mormon intersects with National). The best for a taste. Easy to check out what's in front of you and walk what you don't feel like riding.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I'd agree with Walt but in my opinion DC is the only "easy" trail. I rode Mormon last weekend on my fully rigid bike and it suuucked...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by theFuzz
    I'd agree with Walt but in my opinion DC is the only "easy" trail. I rode Mormon last weekend on my fully rigid bike and it suuucked...
    Yeah, sorry, good point. Thanks for the clarification. East/West Loops are easy too, I think.
    Ride more; post less...

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    East/West Loops are easy too, I think.
    Agreed. If AZ XC can handle Hawes then East/West loops aren't any more of a challenge. Definitely check out Javelina, that would be a step above Hawes, or perhaps and up and down of Mormon Loop and skip National until next time.

I am Bob
    Here's a great option. start at the 46th street lot (easier to park and less people milling about the lot)
    go up the Beverly canyon trail follow the beverly canyon post to the wash just at the end of the condo complex. connect with west loop there by turning left.

that little stretch of trail is really fun and less traveled. after a couple miles you will hit pima wash and west loop trails. there you can decided if you want to connect with Desert Classic or stay on the loops. If you want to up the ante throw ridgeline in too.

Hawes Junkie
    Thanks for all the info--Besides the above mentioned 46th St location are there other options available?

Thanks again y'all

I am Bob
    Ok here's a great idea for an intermediate loop leaving from Pima canyon.

start pima canyon parking lot.
    1.ride the fire road to mormon loop, go up.
    when mormon loop meets mormon trail turn around
    2. at the rock pile before the switchback at the mormon loop/national juncture turn left and head up Javalina.
    3. at the javalina/ridgeline juncture go down javalina
    4. when you get to the 46th street parking lot ride to the other side and go up Beverly Canyon and connect to the east loop and ride that back to Pima Canyon and the parking lot.
    any one have an idea on the milage of this loop... 12 to 15 maybe? I'm a bad judge of miles....