Thread: east side info

mtbr member

east side info

I live in central Phoenix and rarely venture to the east side, ever. I have heard too many great things and seen some nice looking photos of riding areas out there like Hawes and Gold Canyon and am planning to venture out there this saturday with a friend to check it out. I have done some research but am a little confused as to what is what since I am not at all familiar with the east side at all. Which trails are in which areas-k-trail is in gold canyon area and hawes loop in hawes, obviously...right? Or is gold canyon and hawes the same mountain preserve. Forgive my ignorance but would someone mind suggesting some good loops or trails in the Hawes or Gold canyon area and specify which is which. I have seen some amazing scenic pictures for what I thought was the Gold Canyon area. Also, is hawes considered to be a more technical trail system in general? I am okay with tech stuff (ride PMP the most being closest to my house) but looking for more of a scenic peddle this weekend. Help?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Hawes is on the Tonto Nat'l Forest, Gold Canyon resides on State Trust Land in the southern foothills of the Superstitions. Here's the track from a recent ride out @GC, it gives a really good taste of what the trail system has to offer:

The only trails not on this ride were Snowbird & Quartz Ridge. If you ride PMP regularly, then you'll be fine at either place as far as technical skillz are concerned. We did a night ride out at Hawes a few weeks ago and the trails were TORE UP from the storms while Gold Canyon handled weather much better IMO. I've heard that Hawes is getting back to normal, but I'm gonig to wait it out a bit more. I have a few posts/write-ups on my blog for both places, just scroll down to the tags area.

Have fun out there!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Gold Canyon is best ridden with some one who knows the trails the first time or so. I was already planning to ride gold canyon this coming saturday morning. i would be happy to show you around.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Thank you for the info and the blog link. I have checked out your blog before as well. Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Gold Canyon is best ridden with some one who knows the trails the first time or so. I was already planning to ride gold canyon this coming saturday morning. i would be happy to show you around.

Oh yeah? Nice offer what time ae you planning to head out?

EDR
    Hawes is not techie by phx standards. You can ride around most of the entire area with no guide or any worry of getting lost. Red Mtn is readily seen for a reference point of how to get back to where you started. If you go out there my advice is just explore and have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzKennedy View Post
    Oh yeah? Nice offer what time ae you planning to head out?
    Hey I just got back from work. It doesn't really get light untill 6AM-ish these days, so at the trailhead on cloudview at 6, or 6:30, or 7:00 would be good. Is that too early? I am flexible.
    AzK....check your pm's
    Last edited by BIGHORN LEW; 09-19-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!