My other ride is your mom

The Earth will swallow you whole

It's amazing what a week of 70 degree Fahrenheit temperatures as a high will do to the Coco. Green sprouts of tufted grass fade into existence seemingly overnight; drowning out the knee high straw of last fall's growth. With a winter lacking of heavy snow, most fields show as November rather than May. This scene may look different in a month....will it be blackened with char, or perhaps return to tan in a plea for rain - spared the wrath of a careless spark? I know enough not to hope for rain, because hope is not a plan.

The Earth will swallow you whole-fine-roll.jpg

My plan is simple: enjoy these days before a closure, before a fire. Enjoy the years before death, decay and the slow fade to the beginning. The earth will swallow you whole, but until then it is I that will do the hunting. Eating notes and sounds, of gravel beneath tires and the Hermit Thrush song - a haunting call which never seems to leave you....

I am lucky to be here I think. 10 hour work days and even some sniping on MTBR does not change the fact that in this moment I am happy to be here as always. In the trees, below a spruce, hunting for morels and marveling at the changes I see in front of my handlebars. Time rolls by for a while, much like this, before the squeak of my rear rotor and the sound of tires on concrete awakens me as I arrive home.

I read through a few threads the next morning, chuckling at the ridiculous threads over my coffee - some I contributed to in poor judgement, some I did not. The hubris of some makes me smile....and the Hermit Thrush throwing octaves still rings inside my head....I think I'll return to the same place today...
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 05-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Before the Earth swallows both of us, we need to crack a brew or two on some forested singletrack soon. Has it really been over two years since our brief meetup on the AZT climbing over downed trees?? Pedal on...
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Yes it has shilling, yes it has.

mtbr member
    Yeah, and have that talk with The Stranger.

Wouldn't it be something if a fissure opened up near Sunset Crater? The last eruption was only 700 years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Wouldn't it be something if a fissure opened up near Sunset Crater? The last eruption was only 700 years ago.
    Like Kiluea? I was just there less than 10 days ago. We just missed this latest action. It's cool to watch but man the leftover lava is pretty harsh stuff. Too bad it couldn't spew singletrack instead
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Rhino
    We should be friends...again.
    Lets unite the Aspen Asphyxie weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    We should be friends...again.
    Lets unite the Aspen Asphyxie weekend.
    I am out of town that weekend....bring your big lugs...you'll need'em to cut the moondust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    The Earth will swallow you whole
    +1.

Thanks,

-db-

NedwannaB
    Good read.👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

slower than you
    Yeah, and have that talk with The Stranger.

Don't hold your breath, Rockman.

"For most of the lifetime of the [San Francisco Peaks volcanic] field, it was seeing basaltic eruptions every 3,000 – 17,000 years. For the past 250,000 years, magma production appears to have decreased and along with it eruption frequency."

https://volcanohotspot.wordpress.com...thern-arizona/
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Don't hold your breath, Rockman.

"For most of the lifetime of the [San Francisco Peaks volcanic] field, it was seeing basaltic eruptions every 3,000 – 17,000 years. For the past 250,000 years, magma production appears to have decreased and along with it eruption frequency."

https://volcanohotspot.wordpress.com...thern-arizona/
    That's a good read. SF volcanic field is indeed centered over and mostly moved past a hot spot. Same as Hawaii with each island becoming dormant as the oceanic plate moves further to the NW. Anyhow, thanks for posting that although it still wouldn't surprise me to see some volcanic activity in our lifetimes somewhere in the southwest. And it's not like the Cascades are not still active. Just simmering for the moment.

And thanks for the post Maad. This forum needs more stoke of late.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Science is so stupid.

Now that statement is........Trumptastik!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Maad, you need a new bike. Heck, I don't even know you and it's as clear as gin to me that you need a new bike to bring you back down to the ground.

mtbr member
    Been a few years since I was in Flag at winter time but there's a hot spot on peaks where snow melts while the rest is covered. No science needed..

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's a good read. SF volcanic field is indeed centered over and mostly moved past a hot spot. Same as Hawaii with each island becoming dormant as the oceanic plate moves further to the NW. Anyhow, thanks for posting that although it still wouldn't surprise me to see some volcanic activity in our lifetimes somewhere in the southwest. And it's not like the Cascades are not still active. Just simmering for the moment.

And thanks for the post Maad. This forum needs more stoke of late.
    I researched this a lot back when I lived in AZ.

Said hotspot is now under Mt. Taylor in NM. Much younger volcanic formations out there. Moving more west, more ancient formations (Williams, Cross Mtn, etc.).

Flag peaks are listed as dormant, but not extinct. Not expected to erupt. Formations further west are extinct.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I researched this a lot back when I lived in AZ.

Said hotspot is now under Mt. Taylor in NM. Much younger volcanic formations out there. Moving more west, more ancient formations (Williams, Cross Mtn, etc.).

Flag peaks are listed as dormant, but not extinct. Not expected to erupt. Formations further west are extinct.
    The uplift history of the Colorado Plateau and the intrusion of laccoliths like (Henrys, Abajos, LaSals, Elden) and large scale volcanism like the volcanic fields that ring the Colorado Plateau(SF Peaks) is a pretty cool story. Flat slab subduction is the sexy explanation. Geez parts of the Colorado Plateau are 30 km thick and 11'000' in elevation. That is pretty amazing really.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Been a few years since I was in Flag at winter time but there's a hot spot on peaks where snow melts while the rest is covered. No science needed..
    I've observed quite a few "hot spots" up on the Peaks. They are still alive no doubt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I've observed quite a few "hot spots" up on the Peaks. They are still alive no doubt.
    I think this is more urban legend than truth. As Jayem indicated the stratavolcano (the only one in the region) is extinct. There is no magma chamber at depth or any source of heat. Gotta go to the Verde Valley and the large faults that are the southern terminus of the Colorado Plateau and the uplift of the Black Hills and Mingus Mtn to find the nearest Hot Springs.

The more likely explanation for the spot on the south flank of the peaks where the snow melts quickly is that it is simply an area of lavas that were more mafic (rich in iron and magnesium) and thus much darker in color. Same reason dust melts the snowpack so quickly in Colorado. It increases the amount of heat the snow absorbs from sunlight.

I'm a flat slab proponent myself with the continental wrenching of the plateau along an ancient transform boundary to get that rotation, subsequent volcanism and Rio Grand Rift formation...some folks say "What a country"...but I prefer to say, "What a plateau"!

mtbr member
    I'm a flat slab proponent myself with the continental wrenching of the plateau along an ancient transform boundary to get that rotation, subsequent volcanism and Rio Grand Rift formation...some folks say "What a country"...but I prefer to say, "What a plateau"!
    Indeed, nothing else quite like it in the world.

slower than you
    It's damn sexy when you talk dirty like this, Maads.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I can't find any fault with what you said.

-db-

mtbr member
    I'm not finding anything on google/skynet supporting possibility of any hot spots on the peaks so science good..
    I think this is more urban legend than truth. As Jayem indicated the stratavolcano (the only one in the region) is extinct. There is no magma chamber at depth or any source of heat. Gotta go to the Verde Valley and the large faults that are the southern terminus of the Colorado Plateau and the uplift of the Black Hills and Mingus Mtn to find the nearest Hot Springs.

The more likely explanation for the spot on the south flank of the peaks where the snow melts quickly is that it is simply an area of lavas that were more mafic (rich in iron and magnesium) and thus much darker in color. Same reason dust melts the snowpack so quickly in Colorado. It increases the amount of heat the snow absorbs from sunlight.

mtbr member
    I'm not finding anything on google/skynet supporting possibility of any hot spots on the peaks so science good..
    The alternative explanation is deep fracturing that allows warmer air to rise with changes in atmospheric pressure. Not sure if I believe the peaks are that fractured but theoretically the air is much warmer and combined with the surface temperature and adiabatic warming the snow cover melts faster or simply sublimates into the atmosphere. It is just a bunch of overlapping stacked lava flows so maybe there really are big air conduits. There's certainly no surface water flow.

mtbr member
    Check out the big brain on rockman.. sounds like a pretty good theory
    The alternative explanation is deep fracturing that allows warmer air to rise with changes in atmospheric pressure. Not sure if I believe the peaks are that fractured but theoretically the air is much warmer and combined with the surface temperature and adiabatic warming the snow cover melts faster or simply sublimates into the atmosphere. It is just a bunch of overlapping stacked lava flows so maybe there really are big air conduits. There's certainly no surface water flow.

mtbr member
    Check out the big brain on rockman.. sounds like a pretty good theory
    No, just an under-achieving geologist but I did take a graduate volcanology class from the guy who devoted his career to study of the SF Peaks and the volcanic field. Good class. Lots of field trips.

Maad is a geologist too and RockyC knows a bit about rocks as well so sometimes we get carried away.

Are you all talking about the eye in Snake Eye? -->See red circle in graphic
    The Earth will swallow you whole-snake-eye.jpg

mtbr member
    Are you all talking about the eye in Snake Eye?
    Yeah, southside on the flank of 3rd gulley. I don't use all the Lee Dexter names for the avy runs/chutes but skier's right of Rick's Run (Monte Vista?) but higher up.

Yeah, southside on the flank of 3rd gulley. I don't use all the Lee Dexter names for the avy runs/chutes but skier's right of Rick's Run (Monte Vista?) but higher up.
    Yeah, that's the eye in Snake Eye. That area is about 10 degrees flatter (20-30%) than everything around it (40%-ish) with some cliff bands upslope/NW of it as well as a more downwind exposed aspect (in a SW wind event) . It get's scoured by the wind more than the other areas. Everytime I've been up there, it's a Sastrugi and/or rime zone which you need to ski around to find the pow.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's the eye in Snake Eye. That area is about 10 degrees flatter (20-30%) than everything around it (40%-ish) with some cliff bands upslope/NW of it as well as a more downwind exposed aspect (in a SW wind event) . It get's scoured by the wind more than the other areas. Everytime I've been up there, it's a Sastrugi and/or rime zone which you need to ski around to find the pow.
    Well, there ya go. If I'm after 3rd gulley I come in below it but I do recall the change in slope.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

There's no doubt that that area on the upper south faces of Agassiz remain thin even during the biggest of snow years and are left open to some serious solar radiation that leads to rapid melt off. There's a reason that what many newbie bc skiers see as safe points are actually trigger points for avalanches such as rock outcroppings or towers and tree islands. Those features often invite more solar radiation and help develop a much stronger temperature gradient through the snow pack. That's why we often see slides where the crown connects from tower to tower of rocks and trees.

What I've observed though over the years are hot spots that will actually create obvious vents of warm air through the snow pack. I've seen completely dry vase shaped openings through the pack with ice roofs where that warm air meets the cold air and they have a small hole through that thin ice cap where you can see where that warm air is escaping. I've also seen glide cracks along Core Ridge that to me seem like are created by warming from the ground as well as small pockets of rot whoomphing that are not even close to the characteristics of the snow pack. It's random super strange stuff that I have a hard time explaining.

I'm definitely not a scientist but I think there is some warmth coming up through the Peaks from what I've seen.

There's no doubt that that area on the upper south faces of Agassiz remain thin even during the biggest of snow years and are left open to some serious solar radiation that leads to rapid melt off. There's a reason that what many newbie bc skiers see as safe points are actually trigger points for avalanches such as rock outcroppings or towers and tree islands. Those features often invite more solar radiation and help develop a much stronger temperature gradient through the snow pack. That's why we often see slides where the crown connects from tower to tower of rocks and trees.

What I've observed though over the years are hot spots that will actually create obvious vents of warm air through the snow pack. I've seen completely dry vase shaped openings through the pack with ice roofs where that warm air meets the cold air and they have a small hole through that thin ice cap where you can see where that warm air is escaping. I've also seen glide cracks along Core Ridge that to me seem like are created by warming from the ground as well as small pockets of rot whoomphing that are not even close to the characteristics of the snow pack. It's random super strange stuff that I have a hard time explaining.

I'm definitely not a scientist but I think there is some warmth coming up through the Peaks from what I've seen.
    You have a point there....I seriously can not disprove that there is an alien spaceship with a non-neutron generating Chromium doped Forsterite (Cr-Mg2SiO4)-based decay reactor buried underneath the inner basin. This alien starship started mining operations to refuel their spaceship about 6 million years ago and for some ignorant reason, extracted too much of that Forsterite leading to increased melt temperatures at the 10 GPa/300 Km Mantle depth. This was pretty much game over for those alien miners, obviously....because they kicked off a mantle plume. However I don't think this concerned them too much since they viewed this 3rd rock from a small minor star as we view Rip Griffon's gas stop on I-40...just a place to take a piss and buy some beef jerky...but I digress.

That mining spaceship was subsequently consumed and buried beneath the peaks where their reactor core is still generating decay heat via afterglow processes. The aliens abandoned their technology after mining this place for what it was worth and continued on their journey. This series of events also generated significant tectonic unrest within the continental crust, reactivated some laramide structures, which lead to the Kaibab Plateau's rise, the diversion of the ancient Colorado and the formation of the Grand Canyon. I mean, everyone presupposes that the peaks are just a strato volcano...but what I'm saying here is....maybe they're not?

The Earth will swallow you whole-tin.jpg

mtbr member
    Thought I saw a spaceship once but turned out to be just some guy on his roof with a flashlight... this sounds more reasonable

parenting for gnarness
    This post made me happy.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

slower than you
    Congratulations, Maadjurger! This post has been officially submitted as "MTBR forums (Arizona group) reply of the year" by member Rockychrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by maadjurguer View Post
    you have a point there....i seriously can not disprove that there is an alien spaceship with a non-neutron generating chromium doped forsterite (cr-mg2sio4)-based decay reactor buried underneath the inner basin. This alien starship started mining operations to refuel their spaceship about 6 million years ago and for some ignorant reason, extracted too much of that forsterite leading to increased melt temperatures at the 10 gpa/300 km mantle depth. This was pretty much game over for those alien miners, obviously....because they kicked off a mantle plume. However i don't think this concerned them too much since they viewed this 3rd rock from a small minor star as we view rip griffon's gas stop on i-40...just a place to take a piss and buy some beef jerky...but i digress.

That mining spaceship was subsequently consumed and buried beneath the peaks where their reactor core is still generating decay heat via afterglow processes. The aliens abandoned their technology after mining this place for what it was worth and continued on their journey. This series of events also generated significant tectonic unrest within the continental crust, reactivated some laramide structures, which lead to the kaibab plateau's rise, the diversion of the ancient colorado and the formation of the grand canyon. I mean, everyone presupposes that the peaks are just a strato volcano...but what i'm saying here is....maybe they're not?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tin.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	1197538

mtbr member
    Sure condescending ridicule.. reply of the year.. sure why not...
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Congratulations, Maadjurger! This post has been officially submitted as "MTBR forums (Arizona group) reply of the year" by member Rockychrysler.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sure condescending ridicule.. reply of the year.. sure why not...
    Meh, tldr it. RC is a total English snob so condescending ridicule is right up his alley. It sure does read like Maad is poking fun at my honesty on things I've seen up on the mountain. Whatever, I could care less. He doesn't have to believe me, I know what I've seen and experienced and I've got a whole lot more time in that BC than he and RC combined will ever get.

RA, ridicule was totally not intended. I was just having fun....sometimes it just feels good to write for fun instead of for work. In all seriousness, I would be interested to see where you've observed these void's you described and get a look at them next winter. I wonder what the blowhole at Wuptaki would do to about 5ft of snowpack......
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 05-15-2018 at 06:21 AM.

slower than you
    Meh, tldr it. RC is a total English snob so condescending ridicule is right up his alley. It sure does read like Maad is poking fun at my honesty on things I've seen up on the mountain. Whatever, I could care less. He doesn't have to believe me, I know what I've seen and experienced and I've got a whole lot more time in that BC than he and RC combined will ever get.
    Sorry, RA. Didn’t mean to piss you off. I was not praising Maad for ridiculing you. I was merely expressing my admiration of his well written parody.

hugs and unicorns guys....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Haha! Fair enough.

I'm not pissed. Don't let the internet fool ya.