Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Earliest anyone rides Elden?

I am going to be in Flagstaff this weekend and am going to ride Mt. Elden early Saturday morning to then be able to spend the rest of the day with the family. Are there riders out there at sunrise?

Just curious as I have always ridden Mt. Elden after 10AM or so in the past.

Any trails I should avoid? Planning on a Rocky Ridge, Road, Upper Brookbank to Sunrise to Schultz Creek spin.

Thanks,
    Bob

mtbr member
    are you talking about avoiding trails early in the morning? or just avoiding certain trails?

I have started rides at 7am before, but not any earlier because I did not need to. I see no reason why people would not ride at sunrise. Most don't because they don't need to beat the heat and if the drive in they need time to get there.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I haven't ridden Mt Elden this century I just realized. I know there was a fire that took some trails out of commission so just looking to see if my preferred (late 1990's route) was still good.

So two questions:
    1. Any downfall/blockage on Rocky Ridge, Upper Brookbank, Sunrise or Schultz Creek?
    2. Can I get a spare tube from anyone else out there if I ride at 5:30AM?

Thanks,
    Bob

Meatbomb
    Why are you looking for a spare tube from someone on the trail? Bring your own.

Ahhh the pain....
    two answers....
    1. Those trails are clear or at least were. New trees fall all the time so be careful.
    2. No, carry your own tubes. Don't be "That Guy".

oh, and early is way better...hot up there even for Flagstaff.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Reeled in two with the spare tube question. Nice!

I am self supported but am curious if there will be others out there.

I will assume yes and enjoy my ride!

Bob

mtbr member
    Good idea to get out early in 90F+. Today it was already 80F at 8am. The sun feels intense at 7 to 8,000 ft.

All trees are cut out on system trails and most of the social trails as well. The last two big ones on Little Bear got cut out yesterday.

As for your route RR is a bit of a beat down west to east and is maximized for sun exposure. Then, I presume you were planning on climbing lower brookbank to get to Upper Brookbank? That's a sucky climb as well. If you want to make the old classic loop I would just climb Elden Lookout Rd. It's somewhat shady early am. We just did a bunch of trail work on the Catwalk portion and it's riding pretty good. If the road is proving too hot or your getting dusted out by the shuttle traffic Red Onion is a good short cut to the Sunset/Little Bear junction.

Otherwise, my suggestion would be to stay on the other side of Dry Lake Hills and climb Schultz and make a loop with Sunset and Upper Brookbank. More shade and equally fun in either direction. If you climb Sunset from the tank it's a bit stiff but in the gully with large Fir trees. Consider descending Weenies Walk which is also riding well.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Anyone know if the water is ON at the Green Cabin??
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Good idea to get out early in 90F+. Today it was already 80F at 8am. The sun feels intense at 7 to 8,000 ft.

All trees are cut out on system trails and most of the social trails as well. The last two big ones on Little Bear got cut out yesterday.

As for your route RR is a bit of a beat down west to east and is maximized for sun exposure. Then, I presume you were planning on climbing lower brookbank to get to Upper Brookbank? That's a sucky climb as well. If you want to make the old classic loop I would just climb Elden Lookout Rd. It's somewhat shady early am. We just did a bunch of trail work on the Catwalk portion and it's riding pretty good. If the road is proving too hot or your getting dusted out by the shuttle traffic Red Onion is a good short cut to the Sunset/Little Bear junction.

Otherwise, my suggestion would be to stay on the other side of Dry Lake Hills and climb Schultz and make a loop with Sunset and Upper Brookbank. More shade and equally fun in either direction. If you climb Sunset from the tank it's a bit stiff but in the gully with large Fir trees. Consider descending Weenies Walk which is also riding well.
    Exactly what I was looking for...

I used love the section between lower Brookbank (agree not so fun climb) and Sunset (I wrote Sunrise above, doh!) I think that is Upper Brookbank...

Thinking back, I rode RR once and then always bypassed it and took the Mt Elden Rd up.

Climb up Schultz? Isn't that blasphemy?

Thanks Rockman!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Climbing Schultz early is fine. Climbing it later in the day was always a bad idea due to all the downhill the traffic.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN View Post
    Reeled in two with the spare tube question. Nice!
    You must be so proud today.

Ahhh the pain....
    JS, water is NOT on at the green cabins... checked it yesterday, 6/22.
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Thanks for the update. The high temps are changing my ride plans anyway. I'll try again in a few weeks...
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    on a related note, the crew that cut out the two big trees on L. Bear were then heading over to Lockett Meadow to clean up Inner Basin trail aka Pick-up-Sticks. Not sure if they made it but if not, no more chainsaws until it rains.